Spring Break 2009

zaldon

This year fro spring Break i decided to visit Glenn in winter park Co. I flew from Philadelphia to Denver on frontier airlines. the flight out was relatively empty and quiet, arriving in Denver at 11:00 local time we went to Casa Bonita for lunch and a show. That restaurant is clearly a necessary part of the full Colorado experience. We arrived at the winter park base area around 3:00 and received a ride in a snowmobile to get my gear up to the mid mountain lodge which i was staying at. Later that night Nick Malozzi showed up and a night of fun and games had begun. The next day Sunday we rode Winter Park the conditions on the trails was hard pack so we head to the trees near Belle Fourche for some softer snow. after lunch we sent made some snakes through the beginner mini park. On Monday Glenn Tania and I head to Berthood Pass for a little bite of back country skiing, unfortunately after we dug a test pit we found that their was a layer of sun backed snow about 4 inches deep that was extremely unstable. so we choose to stick to a route that was well packed down and lees likely to slide. the next two days we skied Winter Park/ Mary Jane ripping down groomers and hiking out to the Vasquez ridge. on Thursday Lindsy, Glenn, and i headed to Steam Boat Springs which was a lot of fun with temps in the mid 40s and Mashed Potatoes for snow. the trails were bumped and lots of scoopers on the sides. after skiing we headed in to the town of steamboat for some dinner, and while in town i purchased some boot dryers. After dinner i drove the group to the local hot springs (clothes optional after dark) the water was really hot and relaxing. after being in the water for about half an hour a group of guys headed down the steps into the neighboring stream with temps around 35 degrees and snow on the shore. after getting ankle deep they all headed back to the hot spring water, and Lindsy Glenn and I all knew we had to show them how to suck it up and get in the cold water. we all got into the stream and swam for about 20 sec before the cold became unbareable and we went back to the hot spring water. On Friday we did one last trip thought the Vasquez ridge than i packed all my bear and flew home on Saturday. all of the frontier flights from Denver were over booked and frontier was offering $400 in air travel for anyone willing to give up their ticket as well as lodging and food in Denver until Tuesday. I almost gave up my ticket but decided that missing a midterm on Monday was a bad idea.

{Left} Nick Malozzi, Lindsy, Glenn, ME {Right}

post-144-1237736056_thumb.jpg

Belle Fourche Trees

post-144-1237736541_thumb.jpg

Glenn riding down to the base area Monday

post-144-1237736845_thumb.jpg

The small hill we made laps on. Pitch Approx. 38 degrees Tania on left Glenn on right

post-144-1237737002_thumb.jpg

Glenn and Tania Hiking back up

post-144-1237737103_thumb.jpg

the famed Chimney Rock

post-144-1237737232_thumb.jpg

Glenn at Steamboat (lots of Cranes)

post-144-1237737320_thumb.jpg

Glenn Hucking over a bear spot on the trail @ Steamboat

post-144-1237737426_thumb.jpg

Lindsy killing it @ Steamboat

post-144-1237737531_thumb.jpg

Lots of Safety meetings

post-144-1237737611_thumb.jpg

{left} Glenn, Lindsy, Collin {right} hiking the Vasquez Cirque

post-144-1237737758_thumb.jpg

Glenn about to drop in

post-144-1237737854_thumb.jpg

Collin charging down the head wall

post-144-1237737973_thumb.jpg

Some light snow showers as i was packing

post-144-1237738054_thumb.jpg

Hey man it was great to get a chance to ride with you. Sorry I couldn't hang out longer and peer pressure more drinking on everyone, but I regrettably have to be a weekend warrior. Good luck with the rest of your school year, and you should try and make a trip out this way over the summer. Things are shaping up to be pretty ridiculous here in the front range.