Snowboard Sizing

Ride Delaware ?

As most everybody else, I'm still trying to pick up some new gear in the off season at discounted prices. Im kinda at an interesting point right now, and I can't figure out my sizes. Right now I ride a Burton Raven 159... For most of the time I used this I was about 5' 11" and weighed 190. I also had old boots that were huge and they were a size 12. I would really like to buy a Burton Custom. My ideal size would be a 160, but they only make a 158 or a 162. I also bought new boots with the new Burton footprint, and although still a size 12, they are actually an inch and a half shorter than my old pair. I have been told I should get a Wide board, but the custom only comes in a 157 and a 162 wide. I didn't recognize any problems with the old huge boots on the Raven, and it is even smoother with the smaller imprint Burton boots. Additionally, I now weigh about 185 and hope to get back down to 180 by next season. Do I go with a 158 or a 157W? Ive never ridden a wide board, and I know there are differences, which Im not afraid of, but I would really like to stick with a normal width... Any ideas?

in my opinion, you probably dont have to go wide. im pretty sure you could handle both, but i dont really see the need for the extra length on groomers. 158 would be my choice and would also benefit you more in the park, especially if you get more into rails

You might be able to get away without going with a wide board, but i would broaden your options. The custom to begin with is already a fairly narrow board, i believe the 158 is somewhere around 249 at the waist.

For your weight though, i think a 158 is a tad small. I'd look at probably a 160.

my first question for you why did you buy Burton boots, and why do you want a Burton board? secondly if you get a wide board you should be able to get it a little shorter and receive approx. the same stiffness as a standard width. my suggestion is get the 157 wide or the 162 standard and look at purchasing some risers for you bindings if you are worried about toe/heel drag. or even better yet look at another company for a snowboard and save some $$$$

• 3 months later...
oh? not a fan of risers on a snowboard?

Sorry not a fan of adding unneeded weight to gain a whopping half inch of hight. I picked up a set back in the day just to see what they were all about and it just made my board feel like a tank, and unless I was laying down huge turns on sheets of ice they were pretty much useless. You're better off dialing in your stance and buying the appropriate width board. The new smaller foot print on the Burtons seems cool, but I have no experience with them. I'd like to try a pair on though, cause if they are nice I could bump down to a smaller binding. I'm right on the bottom end of a Large binding, and I basically have to ratchet all the way to the end of the strap.

• 2 months later...

As most everybody else, I'm still trying to pick up some new gear in the off season at discounted prices. Im kinda at an interesting point right now, and I can't figure out my sizes. Right now I ride a Burton Raven 159... For most of the time I used this I was about 5' 11" and weighed 190. I also had old boots that were huge and they were a size 12. I would really like to buy a Burton Custom. My ideal size would be a 160, but they only make a 158 or a 162. I also bought new boots with the new Burton footprint, and although still a size 12, they are actually an inch and a half shorter than my old pair. I have been told I should get a Wide board, but the custom only comes in a 157 and a 162 wide. I didn't recognize any problems with the old huge boots on the Raven, and it is even smoother with the smaller imprint Burton boots. Additionally, I now weigh about 185 and hope to get back down to 180 by next season. Do I go with a 158 or a 157W? Ive never ridden a wide board, and I know there are differences, which Im not afraid of, but I would really like to stick with a normal width... Any ideas?

Bit confused on what you wrote, your options are a Custom 158 or a 162, or the wide version in 157 and 162? I'm guessing that with the shrinkage tech on your boots, you can get away with the 162, based on your weight / height.

FYI, I'm pretty small size, weight in the 130s and I ride a 161, but it was an unusual choice.