Camelback Improvement Thread!

DiMe

I think we need one of these threads it's been awhile.

1. Update cbkactionsports.com the park report hasn't been updated since 12/28/09 WTF?

2. Rebuild Upper/Lower Moores & Turkey trot. The seasons passing the halfway point and we haven't seen a rebuild yet...... Feels like things are starting to slack in this department already, don't drop the ball on a good thing.

3. For the love of god keep letting people into the park via Caesars/Marc and just check the passes at the top like it was today. It's so annoying having to get on the glenn lift to take a run through the park just check passes at the top.

4. The video link on the website goes to the common-grind website which is not the same up to date video page on cbkactionsports.com

5. Do something to the progression park, 2 flat boxes burried even with the snow it's pointless. Preferably move it back onto Laurel Glade & make a real progression park. Plant some trees where it currently is and turn it into a small glade run for the future.

6. Why the hell are John Bailey & Sullivan's trail rated as black diamonds? They were & still are greens. I could understand maybe if you bumped the hell out of them or something but they're flatter than flat just because you can't get to them unless you take a black they're still not black diamonds, just an obvious marketing scheme that pisses people off.

7. Pay your dedicated full time year round staff a living wage ;) I mean really, how do the big shots sleep at night? :nana

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

i think its a good idea that they only have 1 lift to service the park because when your lapping it just makes it easier not to have to go down other trails before the park and there arent as many noobs in line. but it is annoying when you want to leave the park you have to either duck the rope at the top or take the stupid mega slow baby lift that services the learning trail then walk up the hill to that other HS quad.

i think its a good idea that they only have 1 lift to service the park because when your lapping it just makes it easier not to have to go down other trails before the park and there arent as many noobs in line.

I agree. Negative comments made by people who can't even ride park can be ignored.

Edited by Method

i think its a good idea that they only have 1 lift to service the park because when your lapping it just makes it easier not to have to go down other trails before the park and there arent as many noobs in line. but it is annoying when you want to leave the park you have to either duck the rope at the top or take the stupid mega slow baby lift that services the learning trail then walk up the hill to that other HS quad.

Huh?! It's about having the OPTION to use the highspeed lift and take a 20 second run down to the park. This isn't out west, we're riding a small hill. Freeriding for a few seconds then hitting the park mid-mountain is an option that shouldn't be cut off.

Huh?! It's about having the OPTION to use the highspeed lift. Freeriding for a few seconds then hitting the park mid-mountain is an option that shouldn't be cut off.

Good point. I see where you are coming from as well. But, I assume having one lift to access the park helps keep those that shouldn't be in the park out. I agree that having an option to get some freeriding in on the way to the park is nice. But, giving that up in exchange for less drama in the park is a good exchange in my opinion.

You can always check out some of the other trails for some free riding in between park sessions. :)

I agree. Negative comments made by people who can't even ride park can be ignored.

I don't know if your referring to me or not I'm definitely not a great park rider but I'm capable and I can ride through the park respectfully staying out of other peoples way. I don't really think my park related comments are negative just suggestions for improvement for everyone.

Huh?! It's about having the OPTION to use the highspeed lift and take a 20 second run down to the park. This isn't out west, we're riding a small hill. Freeriding for a few seconds then hitting the park mid-mountain is an option that shouldn't be cut off.

Exactly, by no means am I saying to not use the Glenn lift for the park. I just want the option to be able to get into the park as a top to bottom run which seems to be what they're doing now. As long as they check park passes at the top it should make no difference in people who shouldn't be in the park entering the park. I guess ask and you shall receive. Upper Moores was rebuilt last night & they're checking passes at the top, good job CBK.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

It wouldn't be a problem if the Glenn lift wasn't so damn slow. The idea of a dedicated lift is great... the idea of a dedicated slow piece of shit lift sucks.

It wouldn't be a problem if the Glenn lift wasn't so damn slow. The idea of a dedicated lift is great... the idea of a dedicated slow piece of shit lift sucks.

Not to mention that on a slow day/night you could take the quad to the top, and ride down to the park quicker than the damn glen lift...

I don't know if your referring to me or not I'm definitely not a great park rider

I was OBVIOUSLY not referring to you. I think you ride well.

True. But, I'm all for anything that limits the amount of people that shouldn't be in the park from being there.

Have we rode together before? Are you a CBK passholder? There's not enough of us on here.

yea us cbk passholders are in the minority around here... It seems that GSS and the blue crew make up the biggest group.... And with GSS blue is certainly represented with the most posts.

Blue is in the majority cause it's the best..

or because quite a few of the CB passholders have moved on.

back to the original post, have they recently changed the trail ratings on the run-outs from the front four or were they always "black"? If they have changed it to make the hill seem more "expert" from % trail counts then that's really lame.

Edited by Timeless

or because quite a few of the CB passholders have moved on.

back to the original post, have they recently changed the trail ratings on the run-outs from the front four or were they always "black"? If they have changed it to make the hill seem more "expert" from % trail counts then that's really lame.

That's exactly what they did. They were green in the past but they made them black just so they could advertise more "expert" terrain lol. Although I noticed they did expand the progression terrain park onto a sliver of the John Bailey trail which maybe their justification for that but Sullivans Trail is still a green labeled black.

Actually, it made sense at Cb to change those trails. The only way you can access them (the way we currently do it) is from the expert trails above them. Changeing them will help eliminate the beginners that actually look at trail maps and try to get to those trails by either attempting the expert trail or skiing thru closed areas to get there. It allows for the more experienced skiers/riders to go faster and hopefully not have to worry about the noobs (as much).

I have not gotten the impression that they are hung up on trail counts, otherwise they would name a bunch of other un-named trails and crossovers.

Actually, it made sense at Cb to change those trails. The only way you can access them (the way we currently do it) is from the expert trails above them. Changeing them will help eliminate the beginners that actually look at trail maps and try to get to those trails by either attempting the expert trail or skiing thru closed areas to get there. It allows for the more experienced skiers/riders to go faster and hopefully not have to worry about the noobs (as much).

I have not gotten the impression that they are hung up on trail counts, otherwise they would name a bunch of other un-named trails and crossovers.

Have you ever skied in PA? Since when do noobs care about the degree of difficulty :lol: . If anything, if they made everything green, people would be less likely to want to do the "steep" stuff just to say they did a black. :banghead

Nu uh, I don't buy it. Atomic Skier is right noobs will always shoot for "diamond trails" just to say they did it. Ever search a mountain on youtube? There's more videos of noobs "conquering" diamonds then park video or anything else. Weekend warriors love to be able to go back home and say ya we skied black diamonds all weekend we're so crazy and good.

Any way you slice it or dice it, those trails are obviously not black and make a mockery of the trail rating system therefore it's a marketing scheme to claim more expert terrain. If it was true that they aren't hung up on trail count why not eliminate those trails and just label them as part of the Asp & Rocket. That would better fit with your plan to attempt to keep trail map looking beginners away, but that would make for 2 less trails on the map never going to happen my friend because they are hung up on marketed trail counts/variety.

They even count the Tubing Park as the 35th trail now on their new map lol....

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

On a positive note. Thank you for allowing access to the park from the top so you can ride it from a top to bottom run, major improvement IMO.

Good job actually adding some reasonably progressive features to the progression park but seriously look at what you did. The entrance is below the first 2 features. There's another option for an entrance right at the bottom of King Tut use that instead so people enter from the top and not the middle.

Well, changing those trails (especially Nile) has decreased our "above ability" incidents on those trails (go figure).

We have also opened up an entrance to the prog park on the Bailey side so you can reach those two upper features (without having to hike).

Accessing the main park from the top definitely has it's pros and cons. Pros are obvious, but, what you may not notice (or care about) is the amount of park traffic that flies down Julius Caesar to get there. The turn gets rutted out and the beginners get freaked out (again, not that you'd care).

Well, changing those trails (especially Nile) has decreased our "above ability" incidents on those trails (go figure).

We have also opened up an entrance to the prog park on the Bailey side so you can reach those two upper features (without having to hike).

Accessing the main park from the top definitely has it's pros and cons. Pros are obvious, but, what you may not notice (or care about) is the amount of park traffic that flies down Julius Caesar to get there. The turn gets rutted out and the beginners get freaked out (again, not that you'd care).

I have no qualms about the nile being changed to a blue. It's an easy trail but the dip at the end is steep and it has rollers and what not, it's a reasonable rateing change. Bailey and Sullivan's on the other hand is a joke of a change.

I didn't notice a new entrance other than if your coming down from a steep you can get into it from the top. That doesn't help much for the little guys just wanting to feel what sliding a feature is like to enter from the top since they likely would not be riding steeps. If there is another opening other than the steeps that lets them in from the top thats great I'm glad I juts haven't noticed.

As far as I can remember that turn gets rutted out no matter what it's inevitable it's just so sharp but yes traffic may have increased. I don't ride on weekends because I'm fortunate enough to be able to make it up weekday afternoons. Maybe to solve this problem when its super busy on the weekends they can check passes from the lift and block that entrance. On weekdays when traffic is not an issue allow access from the top.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE