Mountain Bike Upgrades

Timeless

Need some advice from the bike people on here, I am very pleased with my Trek 4500 as an entry level trail bike and see no real reason to trade up, but just wondered what I could do in the way of upgrades. I didn't get the disk version and based on a couple of seasons riding it, the only things I would be looking for is reducing weight and maybe a more sophisticated fork. I'd also like the new bits to look good. B)

Suggestions?

• Like 2

Hey, this is california, this saturday I will be mountain biking in the morning then driving to Tahoe to ski knee deep (or deeper) powder.

That's my first -1..... :crymore:

nice ... a real "cali day"! i usually don't upgrade components until something wears out or breaks! disk brakes then fork would be the most noticible upgrade in terms of performance. depending on what type of riding you do the other thing would be clipless pedals/shoes if your not running them now and are doing xc/trail type stuff

I would check out either clipless pedals (once you go clipless, you never go back) and/or new wheels.

...you're not the only one who's looking into bicycle related stuff right now. prices are cheap right now. I'm probably going to purchase a new road bicycle next week sometime.

without looking into the specs of your bike...

you said you don't have disc brakes. i can't even begin to express how much of an upgrade a set of disc brakes would be over v brakes. the stopping power is incomparable, and they'll still work when they get wet, unlike v brakes.

as for the fork, i just put a fox 32 float rlc on my giant xtc1 in the fall, and it's probably the best upgrade i've done to my bike thus far. pretty much every aspect of it is infinitely better than the stock marzocchi fork the bike came with. i've also upgraded the brakes from hayes stroker ryde discs to avid juicy 7s, but i havent ridden much since i put them on so i'm not super familiar with the differences yet, but they feel grippier. wheels would be a solid upgrade if your stock wheels are heavy and/or not very durable. from what i've been told, the wheels that came on my bike are pretty good, and i've ridden some light DH on them and i haven't had any truing issues, so i'm probably gonna stick with those for a while til something breaks. depending on what you're riding and what kinda condition they're in, some better tires might be the best investment you can make. i'm pretty stoked on maxxis high rollers right now. super grippy and still roll really fast.

not trying to threadjack here... but didn't want to make a new thread for basically the same thing...

Any suggestions for some inexpensive bulletproof set of mtn bike wheels?

don't care about weight, just want them to survive a few years as my 14 year old likes to bend and trash them.