Lookout Boyeez: Joe Bastardi says the "Big Dog" storm is coming Thursday! Terms like: "Absolute Power" "Worst of the Season" "Historic"

setagehtta

:wiggle

Paralyzing Snow Storm NYC Area Thursday into Friday

I will believe it when I see it. So many times this year the North Jersey area has been robbed. Here is what Joe Bastardi leading winter weather expert from Accu Weather says this morning. It is interesting and clearly if he is wrong he will be wrong in a huge way.

TUESDAY 6 AM

SEVERE STORM, WORST OF THE SEASON FOR MANY, TO CLOSE PARTS OF NORTHEAST AND COASTAL NORTHERN MID ATLANTIC

Lets take off the gloves..a storm of severe proportions, arguably the worst of the year as far as absolute power, a blockbuster, is in the making. In addition, meteorologicaly, it leaves nothing on the playing fled..phasing all three branches and then stalling!

It is in the category of the 1958 and 1969 storms referenced here and shown on the Big Dog, and may be as close to 1888 as we can get. Like 1888, the storm was centered between DC and Baltimore.

Much fo the NYC metro area looks like they are in for a 1-2 foot storm with 2-3 days of gales. The storm starts hammering away Thursday and does not wind down completely till the weekend. PHL looks like it could get a foot. Once to DC its alot of wind and a little snow.

I am using these areas as an example. In the NYC area, the snow is wetter as temps are 28-33 and so power outages within 50 miles of the rain snow line will be a problem. Further southwest its colder, so drifting is the problem.

Once into interior eastern Pa north of the TPk north through western and central New York and into much of New England, this is by far the worst of the winter., Arguably, for much of the area from eastern Pa through western New England back to western and central New York, we are talking a storm that will rival 1993 as far as hardship goes. It is not as cold, but lasts longer with several waves of snow, the first of which has begun in a gentle fashion.

The strong upslope on the west side of the mountains, the severe cold that will come in ( temps Friday in the teens in PIT for example, the deep snowcover, the strong winds means the shutting down of high ground areas from WVA into western Pa due to strong blowing and drifting even though amounts will not be as great as northeast of there.

The current storm in Texas will have its energy start to reform the storm off the Carolinas tomorrow night and snow will break out in the Carolinas and start northeast through the mid atlantic coastal plain.. coming up from the south. In the strange, topsy turvy world of weather this is, with the arctic injection charging southeastward into the southwest part of the storm, maritime air means heavy rains, not snow, for southeast New England and the coastal areas to Maine, though further northwest, this is a doozy. A seasons worth of snow for many in ski country.

In the plains, two major events that will help make this storm are underway. The southern plains... the energy in the southern branch is evident with the Texas snowstorm. Now entering the US, a True number busting arctic air mass with bad intentions as it supplies the baroclinic energy for this.

I remind folks, that the strong downturn of the SOI and the blocking referenced here 3 weeks ago for my theory as to why this period was something to behold, is playing off. It is no co-incidence that this is going on. I think there is danger for some of these places to be shut down for 2-4 days over the northeast. The target big cities for the worst have NYC rated 1, PHL 2 and it will be a worse storm further northwest than in these cities, but this is a severe event all the the way to the jersey shore. BWI looks to be in the 6 inch area

Truly a magnificent event as far as the meteorology and the weather too, combining to slam areas the worst, that have had the thirst for storms that have been mainly to their south.

Enjoy, but get ready, this could be crippling event for a few days.

:naughty

:wiggle

:drool

Accuweather is a fucking joke. When i looked last night they had 11.9 inches forecasted for Scranton. I look at 3 other forecasts and none of them even have 2 inches forecasted.

All other weather sites are saying snow for Philly on thursday/friday, they just don't predict totals yet. It's still to early to tell.