whiteface 1/2-1/7

bluemt1988

Sadly don't have any pics of myself as the first day my girlfriend injuried herself. Better for me though as I didn't have to wait around for her or hear her bitching about the ice later in the day :) . Whiteface got better by the day. Tuesday night-wednesday we received 7 inches at the base, mid mountain and summit there must have been 10-14 inches. Snowed almost the entire time we were up there. Wednesday I was first on the gondola and Essex and Mountain Run were unreal. On the sides of the trails in some areas it was knee deep. It was my first powder experience and I pretty much lost my mind that day. As for places we went to and would advise. We ate at The Wilderness Inn, Hungry Trout, and Rosalia's Italian Kitchen which are all just down the road from Whiteface. No complaints on the food or service. The town has wonderful people, service, and food. Word to the wise every food place in Wilmington closes at 9pm or sooner. We didn't realize this till the second night and I ended up eating cereal for dinner haha. As for in Lake Placid I would recommend Wise Guys. Mr Mike's is pretty cool also. They got a bad rep for a while supposely but they have a new chef and the food is well priced for the quality and quantity.

• Like 1

Again sorry for no action shots! Rolled solo to the mountain almost every day except the first which was horrible and wasn't even worth taking pictures. Last weekend they lost half their trails due to 50 degree temps! Quickly got it back with a few lake effect storms that rolled through. Temps dropped and they just kept blowing snow 24 hrs a day a long with the lake effect machine cranking up!

I'll see if I can find some better photos for you! I thought it was a pretty awesome mountain. If your going to go don't go on a weekend. The week days are great and the ppl don't start showing up till 10am so if you get there right at 830 youll have the mountain to yourself. After 130pm every body is gone. Wednesdays can get a little more ppl than the normal week day due to having this new thing where if you bring a can of coke you get a lift ticket for like 30-40 dollars off. Still not as crowded as the weekends. Best month I heard is late feb.

It was pretty fun Glenn and ya your right that mountain can get really icey. Somebody flew off the side of mountain run the last day I was there. Think he broke his leg. I straight lined down the side of mountain run to the lodge near there and snagged ski patrol. When I came back they were in the woods where he went off. Don't know what came about. Figured I'd stay out since enough people were already involved.

Ya he went off actually before it goes to mountain run. I quick popped down to check on him and said I'm going to get ski patrol. Thought he broke his leg as he ended up off the trail and in some trees. Caught it out of the corner of my eye and heard him. Felt bad. Looked like he was in a lot of pain. So icey just before mountain run later in the day. I was pushing so hard to get down I almost lost it when I threw the brakes on the board. Went from bouncy to a sheet of ice.