Kicking horse!

bluemt1988

Place looks so cowboy! I worry though with those BC areas and their unusual high temps. Wondering if it was like another Whistler where it's hit or miss with the precep. My gf went to Whistler a few years ago and said it was horrible. Rained every day mid mountain-base. Was just curious if anyone has been here. Looks like a fun place. Not to thrilled the closest airport is almost 3 hrs away though! Maybe it'd be all worth the wait!

Who am i? Im Randy. People call me Skip though. Wish I could go tomorrow morning but I work at 930am. I'll have to check my schedule for next weekend. Weekends are weird for me. Next time I head up to blue I'll let you know. I mostly go during week days because I usually work weekends. Plus so crowded and rates are much higher on weekends.

Will do grilledsteezesandwhich! Def am stoked to meet some of the PASR's. Will do my best to try and get out during times you guys are out. Tough for me as I don't have a Monday-Friday job to get out on weekends but I'll see what I can do. Plan on going a few Monday mornings in Feb!

Wow, I thought they got a lot more than than 300". That's actually not that much...

Well, you know, once all the rocks are covered, how much do you need? Also, since some resorts get light fluffy snow which packs down to nothing and others get more solid snow which builds up all winter, I don't even think you can compare the number across resorts. I think that maybe an average seasonal snowpack number would tell you more, and even that would depend on how much they "groom" the trails of rocks and trees during the off season.

For instance, according to Tony Crocker's stats, Big Sky and Moonlight's average annual maximum base depth is 68 inches. Now, they are higher so they get lighter snow than we do. However, maybe the reason you'll need some base work done when you ski there is because of that base depth. Ours is listed at 113 inches. Bridger also gets the light fluffy stuff, and their seasonal average snow fall is very close to ours, but again their base depth is lower.

Now, for the real surprise, highly touted Jackson gets an AVERAGE of 368 inches vs. Whitefish's 320, but their base depth is 98 while ours is, as I said, 113.

I trust all Tony's stats because he is collecting them objectively and not (like the ski areas) trying to sell a lift ticket.

Anyway, the point is, snowfall is NOT the whole story.

Wow, editing time on this was a pain. Timed out too fast....