Snow in NE

guitar73

That would be the winter of 08-09... River had close to 40 and 3 peaks open... Killer early season for sure... I'm still trying to get some runs in before T-Day and I'm thinking the River should be open T2B by the 21st if the long range continues to trend the way it has been the past couple days... Smartass could be right, and we could get the cold front we need just before T-Day...

I can't seem to find any info that Stowe has started making snow, but I wouldn't doubt it... Unless they get better weather soon, it is going to be tough for Sugarbush to open the 19th. They have a decent elevation which helps, but they strongly rely on natural snow and don't have the same snowmaking arsenal other mountains do. Last year they only had one fan gun with one electrical outlet at the base so that they could test it out for future buying considerations. I believe they decided against it. They do have a decent mid mountain set up that allows them to blow snow up top and upload/download early season. Last year they went this route and opened 2-3 trails for thanksgiving. The only downside was that they seemed eager to expand up top before going T2B although they had the temps to expand downward. They weren't T2B until early December while Some PA resorts were even open. I don't know what the reasoning is there, but once they were T2B things really took off. It will be interesting to see their plans this year.

Sugarbush can get open quickly. Upper jester to Downspout off heavens gate with uploading and downloading off the sugar bravo is a possibility if base temps stay too high for snowmaking.

I basically said this, but I guess you added some trail names I wa too lazy to hunt down, so I guess I'll allow it... Bush actually has one of the best early season setups in the Northeast over at Mt. Ellen, but Win has repeatedly said business levels haven't warranted a shift to start the season there, especially since the Bush has not linked their snowmaking systems from Lincoln and Mt. Ellen and most of their upgrades in recent years have been at Lincoln...

When are you moving to Maine?

Lincoln peak is the center of the sugarbush resort. Mount Ellen is thought of as secondary. There hasn't been early season skiing at Mount Ellen in over 15 years. For a few years they offered late season skiing on FIS but now the late season action is on Steins run and Spring Fling.

I should be heading up sometime in the next couple weeks to drop some stuff off if I find a place to stay. Conditions permitting, I should be starting the first week in December. I hope to move up sometime the week after Thanksgiving.

I know that there has been no early season at Mt. Ellen in years, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its lift setup, elevation, and terrain is much more suitable to early season. They made the decision to concentrate on Lincoln Peak when Win took over and have done significant upgrades over there, especially in the base area and snowmaking departments. It has become a nice area over there. That being said, Mt. Ellen definitely needs some TLC. Everything else seems to be in place for what the expect from it, which is an auxiliary mountain area. Great terrain there though...

Stowe did start blowing last week, but the temps for the first half of this week do not look at all favorable for snowmaking. I was walking around in a tshirt today, and it looks like more of the same at least tomorrow. The National Weather Service says its going to chill out by Wednesday, which would open the door for around the clock snowmaking... but the Weather Channel's temperature foreceast is about 15 degress higher, putting overnight lows in the mid 30's. So it's definitely wait and see time here in the 802.

It's official. Stowe's opening day has been pushed back to Wednesday 11/23- Thanksgiving Eve. Sugarbush is forecasting Thanksgiving, while Jay and Smuggs are aiming for Black Friday. Good news, the weather roundabouts here is looking to take a significant nose dive starting tonight, and most of the mountains will be able to crank the guns around the clock for at least the next 2 or 3 days, and overnight lows after that should let them keep cranking next week.

Was up at Stowe this morning to pick up my pass and my uniform, and I checked out the snow status while I was there. Lord and Ridgeview look to have a fairly solid layer of cover down to about Crossover. The base area has had some snow blown on it, but it's still pretty thin. Here's to hoping... of course, I'll be in freaking PENNSYLVANIA on opening day! Stupid Thanksgiving.

Afternoon update. Boyne is blowing the shit out of its ski resorts. Picture on SR's site is pretty badass. Loon may have the most open terrain by Black Friday. Their new guns are plain amazing. Look for double digit trails by tomorrow. Sugarloaf should be able to get open by T-Day. Haven't seen much else. I would imagine that the Bush and Stowe will both also be open. Anybody else have any updates? Belleayre? Hunter? I know Root will be going BF if they are open with even half a run... Go get it!!!

I hope you got in on that... I feel like I remember you getting mad pow on opening day last year too?

I'm currently sitting in Slatington PA, so nope. Besides, as a lowly mountain employee, I'm not allowed to ski on opening day. And last season, I got about 2 feet of fresh pow on December 7. Which is usually about two weeks into the season around the 802.

Edited by Freeski919

I'm currently sitting in Slatington PA, so nope. Besides, as a lowly mountain employee, I'm not allowed to ski on opening day. And last season, I got about 2 feet of fresh pow on December 7. Which is usually about two weeks into the season around the 802.

They restrict season passes for employees? Douchebaggery...

looks like jay, stowe, & sugarbush are spinning their lifts (for now). also, gore & whiteface are open today....things are starting to look good!

Yeah, things are definitely starting to open up... The early season players (SR, KMart, and Loon) are really starting to expand terrain... Looks like real winter will settle in after Monday, and I am so ready...

A lot of places do that early season and during peak holidays...I'm outta here.

I'll know in a couple days, but I believe SR gives employees unrestricted Gold New England Passes... Not that I would go on peak or holidays unless I was working, but it would be nice to have that option...