Sunday River 11-27-12

Ride Delaware ?

I know I slacked off a bunch last year in writing trip report once I got to Maine, but I'll try to throw you guys a bone every once in awhile when I'm able to get pics and the such.

Started work last Friday and finally got out for a legit free riding day today. Last year when I got to SR on the 29th we had 2 lifts with 12 trails, mostly thin cover, and very little snowmaking. Today we had 2 lifts, 21 trails, and snowmaking t2b 24/7. The change from last year to this year has been incredible. We are expecting another 2 lifts for sure this weekend with probably another 10 trails.

Decided to go in early today, and hit the snow as soon as the lifts spun. Started out with 3 runs off the beginner terrain in South Ridge. Groomed granular with good coverage. Lots of snowmaking in the Jib Park and the magic carpet area. Snow guns were going on Lower Broadway and Whoville. Some good snow was blowing onto open terrain. Some was very sticky. Some nice snowmaking ridges to hop off of.

Next I went to Barker to the other lift and got some news that Monday Mourning was the place to be. Ungroomed manmade yesterday turned into bumps that were then covered last night with more fresh manmade. Really good bump lines were forming. Hit that four times and then hit up Right Stuff, Sunday Punch, T2, and Cascades, which also had more manmade bumps overnight. Outside was really good. The whales themselves were a little wet and sticky. Went to Lazy River afterward. Upper was really good before you got to Risky Business which has guns running top to bottom. Most guns were a little wet and stuck to your goggles and skis. Some chunder also made it a little more challenging.

I went back to South Ridge to tool around on some easier terrain while practicing some new stuff. Guns still going at 1:00 when I decided to call it a day. Overall I had a good day and rattled off a bunch of good runs.

Took some pictures. The first one is my favorite that shows the snowmaking cloud. Pretty sick.

94B458A8-08AB-4CB7-8EC0-BFC7BACF048D-9092-0000094ABFE4C052.jpg

02428936-47D1-4B0E-A6A8-A44779BE5C17-9092-0000094AC4C50072.jpg

4FF6314C-0F11-4F6D-9BC4-0A3FD1A899CA-9092-0000094ACFF52F3D.jpg

B56AE8A9-A514-4834-89A9-7FA8F4D6F660-9092-0000094AFB79FE81.jpg

73D358D6-68F4-47B3-857E-0BF5FF3F628C-9092-0000094AFFD57D03.jpg

• Like 1

Where is the best place to stay up at SR? Looking for ski-in / ski-out for 4 people...so either a two bedroom condo or two hotel type rooms would work.

There are so many condos that it's really tough to single them out, especially since I haven't stayed in many of them. Is it two couples? I stayed in a one bedroom at Merrill Brook that had 2 sets of bunk beds, and was literally a 100 ft walk to the base lodge. I have also stayed at Fall Line and Sunrise in one bedrooms. All very nice, all very much ski on ski off. I believe there are two bedrooms. If your looking to stay cheaper, the Snow Cap Inn has standard hotel rooms and it is maybe a quarter mile from the White Cap base lodge.