When is Hunter opening?

clashboy

Pug: What's wrong with Belleayre? I liked it the few times I've gone. Less crowded than some of the others, and it has a longer season than Pocono areas. It's ASRA GS race is supposed to be one of the best on the ASRA circuit...it goes all the way down the mountain... ummm...all the way down... :drool

My in-laws have a plave in NY htat we skied from (they since moved to VT for winter), to get to Belleayre from their place was about the same to get to Hunter. Belleayre was fine and better than most Pocono areas but compared to Hunter, it lacks terrain and uphill capacity.

My in-laws have a plave in NY htat we skied from (they since moved to VT for winter), to get to Belleayre from their place was about the same to get to Hunter. Belleayre was fine and better than most Pocono areas but compared to Hunter, it lacks terrain and uphill capacity.

I wouldn't argue with that. But, it's quiet and pleasant. At least the few times we've been.

What's not to like about Boomer or White Lightning? Two pure headwall runs, one being steeper than anything in the Catskills? There's no runout, so the slow lift is really just five minutes because it's just running you up the headwall and not over a 1000 feet of flats.

Let's see, you can park 30 feet from where you put your skis on...it's a cheap ticket. You can do it until 10pm...midweek there's usually about 25 people on the entire North Face area...Boomer never gets scraped off due to traffic...

Maybe going to places where you have to know the mountain in order to hide from the crowds is a good thing...I don't get that. I hate crowds more than anything. Sib can attest that I'd follow her around CB whining like a liittle b*tch every weekend for two years because of crowds.

Not bashing, Phil I just don't understand. What doesn't get you jazzed about double-wide, groomed empty slopes that are cheap?

C'mon, Phil, you aren't just trying to be negative are ya? Or did you just get stuck on the upper mountain greens?

I just can't see ANY skier that likes speed and empty slopes dissing two places that offer plenty.

does any1 no how sunday river is, it seemed like there opening wit like 50 trails

And were did you hear that. Trust me no one will open with 50 slopes. But, SR is a great place, my bro went there last year and said that the steeps were good, the trees were good, and they had nice long groomers. The hotel right there on the mtn to is wonderful.

What's not to like about Boomer or White Lightning? Two pure headwall runs, one being steeper than anything in the Catskills? There's no runout, so the slow lift is really just five minutes because it's just running you up the headwall and not over a 1000 feet of flats.

I don't think Boomer or White lightning are as steep as Lower K27 and not as (overall) long as Claire Way.

Let's see, you can park 30 feet from where you put your skis on...it's a cheap ticket. You can do it until 10pm...midweek there's usually about 25 people on the entire North Face area...Boomer never gets scraped off due to traffic...

I lost a pair of Oakley's because I parked up by the North Face at Montage. It's a sore subject with me. ;)

Maybe going to places where you have to know the mountain in order to hide from the crowds is a good thing...I don't get that. I hate crowds more than anything. Sib can attest that I'd follow her around CB whining like a liittle b*tch every weekend for two years because of crowds.

I can hide on the mountain with the best of Navy Seal. I can hide at Killington, Hunter and even Okemo on any Holiday weekend. I never even brought up crowds as being an issue. You have complained more about Hunter and K-tons crowd than me, I never mentioned them as an issue

Not bashing, Phil I just don't understand. What doesn't get you jazzed about double-wide, groomed empty slopes that are cheap?

As much as the terrain of Hunter (1600 ft vert) and a nice top to bottom grade. but it is also the quality of the snow. It is not the ice that is covered by the granulated sugar that Blue, Camelback, Shawnee and Montage are know for. Elk (andJack Frost (I have been lucky there in years past)) that blow a better snow.

C'mon, Phil, you aren't just trying to be negative are ya? Or did you just get stuck on the upper mountain greens?

I just can't see ANY skier that likes speed and empty slopes dissing two places that offer plenty.

I love a good groomer for a high speed run World Cup and Nor'Easter are two of my favorite guilty pleasures at Okemo. I don't think I am being negative but realistic and not as one minded as that the Poconos are the end all of skiing just because they are in your back yard. I think a lot of the "Pocono backing" is rationalizasions (sp) because of their proximity to where you are.

Don't get me wrong...If this was Jauary and I lived in the Pocs...I would probably have a pass and would have been on the mountain making a few turns instead of sitting on my butt watching TV tonight. So, I put skiing in the Pocs one step up from Donald Trump and "The Aprrentice" ;). Just kidding. I will pick and choose my times.

hey i love my poco's mainly because i havn'et gotten anywere ealse. im the only one one in my family that boards and i acculy take a lot of crap from my parents and sister for it. so i take what i can get. and if i lived anywere ealse i probly woun't of found my love for snowboarding.

hey i love my poco's mainly because i havn'et gotten anywere ealse. im the only one one in my family that boards and i acculy take a lot of crap from my parents and sister for it. so i take what i can get. and if i lived anywere ealse i probly woun't of found my love for snowboarding.

When I was your age (teens, I assume) I was in the same boat. You do what you can.

Just as a note, I didn't start this as a "Bashing the Poconos" thread. :D (but somehow it alsways turns into one when I am involved :banghead )

Phil, I don't think anyone here minds...it's your opinion. But you sure do spend a lot of time with us after finding your way here. So we think there's hope for you. This winter will be an eye opener for you as you revisit some of your old haunts with some new people. A couple of PASR days and you'll kick yourself for all the missed time.

Looks like a Belleayre blast from the past.

Yep...it was the year before Ty was born and I remember explaining to her mom that it was the only run down from where our lift was going.

When I was your age (teens, I assume) I was in the same boat. You do what you can.

Just as a note, I didn't start this as a "Bashing the Poconos" thread. :D (but somehow it alsways turns into one when I am involved :banghead )

yeah im only 17 and im doing what i can. but sometimes i feel like im not experancing enouft.

and i know bashing the poconos doesn't start with you. acculy it starts with the people trying to get you to "stop bashing the poconos" were just trying to get you to a pasr day to ski with you. its a fun time when you meet up and ski with everybody on the board. a lot of respect is built at one pasr day.

and i know bashing the poconos doesn't start with you. acculy it starts with the people trying to get you to "stop bashing the poconos"

No one gives me credit for praising The Ski Bum, Nestors and Langhorne as shops. No one gives me crdit for telling PASR to open up the forum to ALL of PA skiing and riding and not just the Poconos, but people are baiting me into slamming the Poconos. I said nothing bad in this thread until it was brought up to me. I just answered the points with my opinion. I was talking about Hunter and belleayre and Ski999 brought up the Pocs'

Edit: It's late and I am off to bed.

Edited by Philpug