When is Hunter opening?

clashboy

Anyone know when Hunter is opening? I want to go their when it first opens.

No you don't (bite me DMC :devil: )

Haha I think they were shooting for the 19th of November. But just a forwarning, hunter is VERY crowded on their first weekend open (2,000-3,000 people, one trail). You would be smart to look for a different NY mountain (belleyare, windam) which will probably be open the same weekend.

No you don't (bite me DMC :devil: )

Haha I think they were shooting for the 19th of November. But just a forwarning, hunter is VERY crowded on their first weekend open (2,000-3,000 people, one trail). You would be smart to look for a different NY mountain (belleyare, windam) which will probably be open the same weekend.

Dude,

Belleayre says they are targeting an opening sometime between the 5th and 12th of November.

Tim

Anyone know when Hunter is opening? I want to go their when it first opens.

Hunter is scheduled to open 11/19 with top to bottom skiing - but - they will have the snowguns ready 11/1 and if it's cold enough they will open as soon as they can... Or you can wait for Camleback to open(BACK AT YOU SKIDUDE!)...

Generally they will open the quad to the top and the triple to the middle station... The trail down from the middle station is wider and easier.

If the other areas in the Catskills open - Hunter will be less crowded... I personally have never had any issues with early season crowds. If you ski late in the day most are too tired - so the trails are relativly empty.

Opening day pictures... (Sorry about the crowds in the pictures) :rofl

2001 http://www.powderhound.org/2001/hunter_11-...Hellgate_CK.jpg

2003 http://www.powderhound.org/2003/Hunter_11-...ening_Day_7.jpg

2004 http://www.powderhound.org/2004/Hunter_11-13-04_Paul_2.jpg

Belleayre is nearest to Scranton. '999 knows how to get to Belle' from your area, using back roads. If you take rte 84 to 87N, all three would be about the same distance.

Just do a Mapquest from Honesdale to Highmount, NY, for the shortcut directions to Belleayre. It saves 30 minutes off the trip, but you really need to pay attention the first time you do it or you end up lost in Ohio.

Bellayre might be closer, but for early season, nothing in that area beats Hunter.

Ok, I'll see you on the highway, but not the mountain I guess.

Everyone can go to hunter if they open the same weekend, thats cool with me (and ski999)

Yeah, if Belleayre gets a couple of diamonds off the top, then there's no comparison. It sucked when they only had mid-station open and didn't make it clear on their site early last year, but web presence isn't their strong point.

Belleayre is cool because it attracts several area race programs of still-closed mountains, so if you stop anywhere, 50 kids fly past you in real tucks.

And very few drunk newbies.

Yeah, if Belleayre gets a couple of diamonds off the top, then there's no comparison. It sucked when they only had mid-station open and didn't make it clear on their site early last year, but web presence isn't their strong point.

Belleayre is cool because it attracts several area race programs of still-closed mountains, so if you stop anywhere, 50 kids fly past you in real tucks.

And very few drunk newbies.

I skied Belleayre twice, it reminds me of a big(er) Montage. No desire to go back. I am sure I will get slammed for that comment too :nana:banghead .

And Hunter will open sooner with more trails.

Last few years Bell and Hunter opened the same time, with the same number of runs....(as I recall)....Hunter had one, bell had one (i think only one)....but ehh nvm...Early season anywhere is better than no early season...

Pug: What's wrong with Belleayre? I liked it the few times I've gone. Less crowded than some of the others, and it has a longer season than Pocono areas. It's ASRA GS race is supposed to be one of the best on the ASRA circuit...it goes all the way down the mountain... ummm...all the way down... :drool