Altitude Sickness?

PeterC0523

I'm going on a trip to Vail at the end of Jan 06. This'll be my first time outside of the pocanos and some co-workers have warned me about the difference in altitude. They've recommended a camelbak to stay hydrated and told me that we may feel more tired than usual and experience some nausea when we first get there.

Anyone have any tips to combat the lack of energy and nausea? One of my buddies suggested taking gingo baloba for a week before the trip to increase my blood circulation. He also said to talk to my doctor and see if there's anything prescription that would help, maybe even some vitamins/herbs from GNC.

There's a difference between altitude sickness and a normal reaction to lower oxygen levels. Most people will experience a shortness of breath for a few days and tire more quickly. But some of us get SICK -- horrible headaches, pounding hearts, nausea, etc. I'm one. The only way for me to prevent or reduce the problem is to overnight in Denver.

Sibby and RC are right. The most widely recommended strategy is to acend slowly, remain alcohol free for the first day or two, take it easy, and stay hydrated. If you get headachey, dizzy, nauseous or otherwise feel ill, or if someone tells you that you aren't acting right, recognize it and back off i.e., descend and rest. Acetazolamide (diamox) can also be used to prevent this - discuss it with your primary care doc if you are really worried.

There is no quality control on gingko biloba since it is not sold as a pharmaceutical agent - no checks on purity, potency, shelf-life, etc. :no

I suffer from Chronic headaches when in summit county, Utah and tahoe don't seem to bother me too much.. Everyone tells me its unsafe - but tons of caffeine and or Excedrin works for me. I have been told it has to do with dilation of blood vessels.. I have tried everything (except diamox) - never offered from my primary.....

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Both my fiance and I are pretty healthy and spend ~20 mins weight lifting every weekday morning before work. Since this trip is so expensive and since we'll only have have 3 days on the slopes I REALLY don't want to lose a day because we're not feeling well. So, I talked to my doctor today and asked for a prescription for Acetazolamide. I also found a website with some dosage recommendations on taking Diamox to acclimate to the higher altitude, see below:

Medication. There is prescription medication available which helps prevent altitude sickness and speeds up elevation acclimation; it's called Diamox [the generic name is Acetazolamide]. If concerned and prescribed by your physician, we recommend you start your medication two days prior to traveling into altitude. Start with three tablets a day and continue this dosage for three days once at altitude. Stop taking the medicine after five consecutive days. When leaving altitude, reinstate the medicine two days prior to departure. That should do the trick!

Anyone ever take diamox according to the recommended dosage above? Here's the link to the site: http://www.skitrips.net/faqs/altitude.html

Additionally, we're planning on getting camelbaks and no alcohol or caffeine our first day there. We're also planning on doing some light activity the first day, like walking around the village or something.

Anyone have any info on Vail's Back Bowls? Both my fiance and I started snowboarding about 3 seasons ago and can comfortably shred all the trails at Blue except the double-blacks. Think we'll be OK in the Back Bowls? One of my co-workers insists that I have to at least check them out and that we should get a guide one of the days.

Anyone ever take diamox according to the recommended dosage above? Here's the link to the site: http://www.skitrips.net/faqs/altitude.html

Hey Peter:

I assume you are taking about the 250 mg pill - you may not even need that much - half a pill a couple times daily will probably do the same. Absolutely take it ahead of time. First, to be sure you have no side effects to the medicine. Also, it works mostly to help you acclimate faster, so you will want it in your system before you go up.

Vail's bowls are their hallmark feature. :drool You absolutley want to go. I went with Iceman and the 'dude a couple years ago when we were all bunnies, and we did okay, so you will be fine - they have easier and more difficult routes. It's not a bad idea to hook up with someone who knows the good places, given the day's conditions, early on -

Have fun, and take pics.

'mom

Ditto - You absolutely have to get on the first chair and go up and over and back up to the top of Blue sky basin. Don't worry about the bowl thing there are cat walks for easy way down stuff. Seriously don't screw around with the front side. Head as far back as you can and work your way back for lunch at the traverse.

We have been there 3 times, the last time was an epic dump, the natural half pipes in powder can easily make you not even notice that your nose has turn white :(

Ridge rates Vail Back bowls as number one...

• 1 month later...

Some thoughts:

1) Watch for reactions to the diamox. My oldest brother can take it without problems, but when I took it I had pain behind my eyes after two doses and had to stop.

2) Start the diamox ahead of time.

3) Lay off the booze and start drinking plenty of water ahead of time.

4) Utah is 3 to 4 thousand feet lower than Colorado, which it why Utah is so easy to take; Vail is lower than Aspen, so the problem isn't as great at Vail.

5) I was in Vail's back bowls just two weeks ago. Fabulous conditions this year; many staff people were saying it was the best conditions in over a decade.

6) Avoid mid-Vail if you can; it is a clusterf*. Head to the back bowls early in the day and don't head back until well after lunch.

7) Highly recommend the Colorado lamb chops at Campo di Fiori in Vail Village.