Ski tune up

kragan

I know that the PA Council Cup race isnt ASRA - but they don't allow kids to race on teams that is supposed to be a fun rivalry between clubs. I make a correlation between the 2 since they seem so intertwined.

They are not 'intertwined'. ASRA is completely separate, other than the fact that you can choose to earn points for club championship points. But that's the same as one of the options in NASTAR, as you know. I race as an "Independant", since I don't belong to a ski club.

ASRA is open to all ages and would NOT have turned away your kids, as long as you believe they could safely make it down the race course. My 4-year-old was even recruited, half-jokingly last season---they were making it known that as soon as she could do it, I was encouraged to sign her up.

I was pretty nervous during my first few ASRA races. Some of the courses are long, with off-set gates, and they run them on some pretty steep pitches. A race at Hidden Valley (NJ) last season came down a black diamond slope with two blind headwalls. But new racers are welcomed warmly and for every question on technique, you'll get a dozen people willing to offer an answer.

Any negative feelings toward ski clubs should not be miss-directed toward ASRA. ASRA is just an organization run by two great people that have provided gates and venues for people that enjoy the challenge of racing. No politics. No bullshit. Just fun for those of us that like that sort of thing.

Anyone interested can check it out at:

http://www.skiracer.com

Fair enough and well explained. Some wounds run deep as you well know. I had several years of :banghead with my local ski club. The race team with-in the club was always recruiting me to run along with them to the various ASRA events, but race schedules never worked out until that PA Council Cup thing, thats when I got slapped and it still stings.

BTW - We went to several ISSA events last year. Probably not this year though - we are BOOKED!