Ski tune up

kragan

I purchased a pair of salomon xscream series 179 last night off of ebay, I have always wanted those skis since they came out and got a good deal (at least I think I did). The auction said "only skied 1 day," whether thats true or not ... who knows :dunno .

My question is where would you recommend that I take them to get tuned (waxed and sharpened) and/or resurfaced if they need it?

I know that only certain places have the right equipment to do the job correctly, I just don't know which places.

Thanks for the help! :rock

Edited by kragan

I have tuned my own skis in the past, when I used to race in college. What I am asking about here is what if the skis need more than just a wax and edge sharpening. I have heard of a machine that can practically make the base of a ski new and I am wondering if anyone knows of a shop that has one of those.

Thanks

I have tuned my own skis in the past, when I used to race in college. What I am asking about here is what if the skis need more than just a wax and edge sharpening. I have heard of a machine that can practically make the base of a ski new and I am wondering if anyone knows of a shop that has one of those.

Thanks

Almost all ski shops have them, it's called a stone grinder. Nestors has one, the Loft has one, Bear Creek's shop has one, Camelback's shop has one. And yes, it grinds away part of your edges/base to reveal all new metal/base material.

I wouldn't bother with a stone grind if they were only skied one day...or even a few weeks. Are there gouges in the bases? Or do you want to ski on a specific pattern? If not, then why have a layer shaved?

Get a base bevel of 1 degree; an edge bevel of 2 or so degrees. Then have them waxed and you're good to go.

Almost all ski shops have them, it's called a stone grinder. Nestors has one, the Loft has one, Bear Creek's shop has one, Camelback's shop has one. And yes, it grinds away part of your edges/base to reveal all new metal/base material.

I think Camelback has one and just about any ski shop would.

Thanks! You guys freakin rock :rock:rock

This site is such a great resource :wiggle

Thanks

Who did you race for? Why don't you race now? C'mon and share some freakin' stories! :woot

I raced two seasons for the University of Toledo in Ohio. I was actually recruited to play tennis for them, which I did for 3 years, but I had to take some time off in the middle to complete my co-ops for my engineering degree. So I figured I would join the ski team since I had skied since I was a little kid and giving racing a try. I had a blast and loved it. Now I have moved towards snowboarding to learn something new, but maybe these xscreams will give me the bug again.

Go to the CB shop - for sure. Chat with them a bit, drop them off on a sunday, promise them a tip.. Is it Brian or Mark? Ask for the guy with the titanium in his wrist.. Top shelf.. There was a recent post from skidude on him

Sweet, thanks for the advice :rock

Will the tip get me same day service?

Edited by kragan

I raced two seasons for the University of Toledo in Ohio. I was actually recruited to play tennis for them, which I did for 3 years, but I had to take some time off in the middle to complete my co-ops for my engineering degree. So I figured I would join the ski team since I had skied since I was a little kid and giving racing a try. I had a blast and loved it. Now I have moved towards snowboarding to learn something new, but maybe these xscreams will give me the bug again.

Sweet, thanks for the advice :rock

Will the tip get me same day service?

Bring them to the shop at CB. Ask Mark how busy he is. A tune isn't usually a problem to get same day, but if there is the xmas rush, you might be out of luck. A stone grind might take longer. It just depends how busy they are.

A tip always helps tho ;)

I agree with '999. They'll be grabby after a stone grind, plus it's a waste. One degree base and two side will be perfect for you to start back racing. The only remaining question is: NASTAR or ASRA? If you raced in College, ASRA would provide a greater challenge.

NASTAR is awesome.... ARSA is :nana

ASRA is double awesome. The courses are more challenging and the handicap system is consistent and valid. I love NASTAR too, but NASTARs handicapping system is a crapshoot and the races are all on bunny runs. It's great to practice on. But, Kragan sounds fast. He'll soon tire of waiting for the long lines of 6 year-olds to toddle down NASTAR.

I wouldn't bother with a stone grind if they were only skied one day...or even a few weeks. Are there gouges in the bases? Or do you want to ski on a specific pattern? If not, then why have a layer shaved?

Get a base bevel of 1 degree; an edge bevel of 2 or so degrees. Then have them waxed and you're good to go.

I have not seen the skis yet. Hopefully they will arrive late this week, or early next. I will only get the base grind if they are gouged. If they look good, I will just go with the sharpen and wax.

I am starting to get excited :rock

ASRA is double awesome. The courses are more challenging and the handicap system is consistent and valid. I love NASTAR too, but NASTARs handicapping system is a crapshoot and the races are all on bunny runs. It's great to practice on. But, Kragan sounds fast. He'll soon tire of waiting for the long lines of 6 year-olds to toddle down NASTAR.

Well, thank you for the compliment ... but I am not sure how fast I am any more. Its been 2 years since I have been on skis and 5 years since racing. I think that NASTAR would be a good place to start if I got into racing again, but I think for this season I am just going to concentrate on ripping the whole mountain on the skis and improving my snowboarding.

NASTAR is awesome.... ARSA is :nana

Just out of curiosity, why would you post that? Firstly, it's ASRA...secondly do you know ANYTHING about ASRA?

Oh, btw, Rob, how did the MSRT thing work out at the Master's opener? I can't seem to find a link to the Master's Intermountain Division and I'm curious to see how Gary did.

Oh, btw, Rob, how did the MSRT thing work out at the Master's opener? I can't seem to find a link to the Master's Intermountain Division and I'm curious to see how Gary did.

Gary and the Mrs. both. :no

Pops has no reason to know about Master's racing since his focus is on Kiddos.

Oh, I thought they were part of the MSR Team for promotion, or something. My bad.

I am for everyone who loves the sport, including those who think some of the snow sports promotors are snake oil salesmen.. :rolleyes:

The only thing I know about ASRA is it is a mostly adult race league that these middle age ski clubs are into, which I am not :D

I am for everyone who loves the sport, including those who think some of the snow sports promotors are snake oil salesmen..

The only thing I know about ASRA is it is a mostly adult race league that these middle age ski clubs are into, which I am not

No hypocracy in those two statements, eh? BTW, ASRA is for all-ages, although scored for people 21 and older. If that's middle-aged, what would that make you?

It's intent is primarily Master's racing, and it's an important component of PA skiing since there are no USSA Master's races in this state (and few in the southern Northeast). It's a huge resource for singles, childless couples, those with older children, those who want to improve to better coach their children, and those who's interests are not restricted exclusively to cheering their kids. And, isn't it great that they are flexible enough to allow you to bring your kids along?

PS This topic has been hi-jacked.

Edited by skimom

ASRA is for all-ages, although scored for people 21 and older. If that's middle-aged, what would that make you?

Over the fricken hill!

And, isn't it great that they are flexible enough to allow you to bring your kids along?

PS This topic has been hi-jacked.

I know that the PA Council Cup race isnt ASRA - but they don't allow kids to race on teams that is supposed to be a fun rivalry between clubs. I make a correlation between the 2 since they seem so intertwined. I am new to all of this, but that rule, really put a bad taste in my mouth with Ski Clubs in general and the exclusion of kids/families.. Not my scene yet.. Maybe some day.

Sorry about the hi jack.. my fault..