rail

romemadman

five feet is way short. atleast make it 10, but it should be a double barrel. It should be made out of pvc called schedule 80, its actually electrical conduit so there will be little bells on each end that have to cut off. Its the most durable and strongest pvc made, it will not crack. You have to make feet on it. and you should really have some like studs going perpindicular to the legs of the rail, something like a 1 1/2 x 1/2 stud.

it is going to be made of pvc and willl be used for back yard snowboarding and anyhting else

shoulfd it be 5ft long single barrel

5ft double barrel

or 10ft single

and sould i put would running the length of the rail or jsut supporta at the ends

any opinions are appreciated

Hey,

I'll speak from experiance here. Last season built my first rail, a 12' long single barrel rail. It was sturdy as hell (and heavy as hell), a 2x6 running vertically with 2x4 legs and it was really stable, and then took a 5" diameter PVC pipe, took a 1.5" slit out of it and basically wrapped it over the top of the 2x6 and had a 12 foot PVC handrail. It worked out pretty good - except for one thing. So long as you land on the rail flatbased your ok, or if you have a board with no edges (dominant Slick, forum streetdweller), but if you have any edge and don't land flat, you get stuckin the rail and get f'ed up. PVC just isn't a great material for a rail, its too soft. It slides well, but if you land wrong, you get hurt.

If your learning 50-50s it could be good, but any kind of boardslides its a bit dangerous.

Also - 5' is way too short. 10' is the minimum size i would do, at 10' your on the rail for no time at all, 5 foot you wouldn't even land fully on it, expect your ollie to eat up a foot or two, and a board is longer than 5 feet.

yea i know it isn't the best i wish i knew how to weld and had the materials too

it will have to do for now

thats one thing i knew would go wrong with how pvc is soft

the pipe i bought is an 80 i remeber wondering why it said that on tape right infront of the pipes

i put my board on it asd it still diggs in no matter what

maby its not an 80 but i am pretty sure it is

Hey,

I'll speak from experiance here. Last season built my first rail, a 12' long single barrel rail. It was sturdy as hell (and heavy as hell), a 2x6 running vertically with 2x4 legs and it was really stable, and then took a 5" diameter PVC pipe, took a 1.5" slit out of it and basically wrapped it over the top of the 2x6 and had a 12 foot PVC handrail. It worked out pretty good - except for one thing. So long as you land on the rail flatbased your ok, or if you have a board with no edges (dominant Slick, forum streetdweller), but if you have any edge and don't land flat, you get stuckin the rail and get f'ed up. PVC just isn't a great material for a rail, its too soft. It slides well, but if you land wrong, you get hurt.

If your learning 50-50s it could be good, but any kind of boardslides its a bit dangerous.

Also - 5' is way too short. 10' is the minimum size i would do, at 10' your on the rail for no time at all, 5 foot you wouldn't even land fully on it, expect your ollie to eat up a foot or two, and a board is longer than 5 feet.

i wonder if this would work well for a box

all u would need is to put a new topsheet on if the one on there doessn't slide

Bench.jpg

check out the site if u want rails or anyhting

http://www.skateboard-ramps-and-rails.com/Bench.htm

yea i know it isn't the best i wish i knew how to weld and had the materials too

Hey man. Im in monroe country votec for welding class. I can weld and i have materials to do it. if u want me to make u a rail i can for a small fee. give me dimensions and ill give u a price for doing it if ur interested. I have pictures of my rail im working on if u wanna see what kinda work i do. Let me know what u think

My rail pic

The rail isnt done in that picture but thats what it looks like so far.

If you want to use metal but can't weild you can take a look at http://rampplans.org/ramps/Bud_Stratford/ the rail, double round and angle look like good alternitives. I'm bulding the one with angle iron ( My Rail ), I'm also putting some round pipe on the front and end so it dosne't dig in, but haven't got around to it yet. Also if it is any wider than that you may want to look into putting a topsheet on it. If you have something supporting the pvc you may be able to replace the pvc with metal conduit. dthmtlunicrn made a rail by just bending conduit and puting giving it 2x4 legs/feet, but he could problay describe it better than me.

Edited by pyro_boarder

made first rail out of a shopping cart corral that i took from work and the other out of two 12ft peices of PVC... and its amazing

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...&cmd=si&img=578

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...&cmd=si&img=579

Edited by toast21602

my rail is gonna be better than urs tho. mine completely welded and urs might break. Plus mine is alot lighter and cheaper. Ill build the rail pretty much cheap as can be. I got all the metal for free and i got welding shit from school for free. so i can build a few rails that cost me nothing.

What skis are those?

I don't recommend using PVC.

It will be ok to some extent, but any grinds that involve egde to rail contact, it will be a problem.

Also, PVC is not nearly as sturdy as metal. It will flex and move around like crazy...

Look into metal or build a box instead. I've picked up one of those toy store rails and just made my own legs, which are higher and sturdier. Thats a modular rail system for under 100 bucks....

I don't recommend using PVC.

It will be ok to some extent, but any grinds that involve egde to rail contact, it will be a problem.

Also, PVC is not nearly as sturdy as metal. It will flex and move around like crazy...

Look into metal or build a box instead. I've picked up one of those toy store rails and just made my own legs, which are higher and sturdier. Thats a modular rail system for under 100 bucks....

thats the problem... who has $100 to spend on a backyard setup... i spent about $15 on mine and it does the job

Thats a modular rail system for under 100 bucks....

20$ and about 25hrs of work and i got myself a flat down flat rail 21ft long. Beat that deal.

Okay, i think i can beat it. I got all the materials for free except the 10 ft black pipe from homo depot, 25 bucks. ( my mom paid for it though, so the rail didn't cost me anything.) Here is my rail. Actually, then again, mine is a lot shorter than gurp's, like, by 60 percent? It's like, 7 foot. Eh, it's good for skateboarding anyway, which it was originally built for. If you happen to make a rail out of channel, like i did, and like gurp did- make sure you sand the top of it down, going down in grit, and make sure to take some emery cloth and a file to the edges to make sure they're completely round. I got about 12 hours of work into my rail (just an estimate). Oh yeah, and it's completely modular

Edited by stevo182

18 foot flat down flat for 25 bucks and about 2 nights of work. My rail is very, very sturdy. to who ever said pvc flexes in the cold it can only take so much then it will break. Im telling you people use schedule 80 electrical conduit. Its so sturdy and you wont catch an edge

18 foot flat down flat for 25 bucks and about 2 nights of work. My rail is very, very sturdy. to who ever said pvc flexes in the cold it can only take so much then it will break. Im telling you people use schedule 80 electrical conduit. Its so sturdy and you wont catch an edge

the PVC i used is 1/4 inch thick and isnt even close to cracking... and probably never will...

the PVC i used is 1/4 inch thick and isnt even close to cracking... and probably never will...

sounds like the pvc i use

Do you guys have something under the pvc like a 2x4 beam? If you just had the pvc supporting itself from just a few points it would flex too much and, being brittle from the cold, snap. If there is something stiff supporting it then you would have to stomp on it realy hard to shatter it. Also if the pvc is over probaly 3" dia. you probaly wouldn't have a problem either way.

I bet we got you all beat :P We finished it up last week. I photoshopped the ply wood in bc it wasnt in yet.

izx548.jpg

yea that has me beat. what metal are you guys using if your using metal. I heard aluminum is crappy and i was looking for flat steel or angle iron to make a box or a rail, but all i can find is round galvanized pipe - is that worthwhile?

as for the PVC - like i said i put mine over a 2x6 i'll take pictures soon but i have to go to school now

no it isnt galvinized im not sure what it is exactly. We found all of those tubes of metal in the woods!! it was crazy and it didint rust so idk what it is. The rail is so huge. From the bottom of the supports the the top rail is 10 ft. Its a gigantic 30 ft battleship. We are putting it in at tanglwood soon.