Snow Making Skills

Coach

I am curious to know why the base at BC is so thin. On the website (which has no daily snow report; however, that will be another thread which gets started if things don't change on that front) someone claims to have a 37-39 inch base. Where is this measured from. I have to say that having rode several mountains thus far this year in the North East region that BC's base is horrible.

We need to take advantage of the cold weather conditions at night and make the snow which we will need to take us through tough times in the season (like last years January warm spell where i think we actually closed down the mountain).

Anyway...I will continue to ride the snow making crew (Tless Joe) until I don't run over anymore rocks every 4 feet like I did this morning (Thursday) before leaving after 2 runs and heading another hour north to Jack Frost for MUCH better riding conditions.

Let's make the snow which we need and cut down the number of employees making pizzas which we don't.

:snowpee:

Dude, they ran out of water in their ponds is what I am hearing. I am not sure why, but that is the word...

There should be water in the ponds now from yesterday and todays run off. The warm weather did take a lil bit of a toll on them today. But if you were there the last few days you should've noticed there wasn't a halfpipe there. O wait the thing was completely filled with snow. There's snow there, the groomers just aren't pushing it . And with todays warm weather they might not even groom tonight.I know from my grooming experience, that you can't push in the warm temps. You'll lose more then half of what you push. I know today i threw a bunch of rocks from the lift lines while i was waiting to get on the lifts

The GM said that was a myth.. (running out of water) One of the ponds recharges as fast as it drains for snow making...... they ran outa cold weather, I was there today, the quality of the snow is great, very grippy as the racers would say. There are bare spots and there is a 10 degree difference between BC and CB as evidenced tonight.

We're going to try making snow both tonight and tomorrow night. After that, it doesn't look like the weather will be cooperating with us...

Why didn't BC blow alot more snow when it was cold? There were alot of days I was there and the guns weren't going(during the week). I think they should have made more snow when they had the chance.

Why didn't BC blow alot more snow when it was cold? There were alot of days I was there and the guns weren't going(during the week). I think they should have made more snow when they had the chance.

I don't think anyone anticipated these mild temps...I for one didn't. I was planning on an early spring to follow this early winter, but not a December thaw.

I spoke with someone on the lifts that apparently works on the park crew (sorry I never got your name)... He said the ponds were pretty low and that they were hoping the rain/runoff would let them get snow built back up where they needed it (read: 'to build tabletops', etc...) once the temps dropped. I guess that jives with most opinions...

I really hope this doesn't effect the conditions too much this week, as I'm hitting up BC probably on thursday....

Is this affecting the hits in the park a whole lot? Judging I am going up to BC just for their park (and closeness to philly), and if thats going to be bad, I might just head up to blue.

there are some bare spots, but the features are perfect, its like the rain went around them. i wouldnt worry, i doubt they would close, and as for the kid that asked why they didnt blow snow before, they did, its just they were nice and considerate and didnt blow it directly in your face while your trying to ride, which i thought was awsome. not too many other mountains care about how many people are there and will blow regardless. Bc is doing great for the start of the season, it can only improve from here guys.