THE SHOWDOWN Slopestyle Competition

Bear Creek PR

Don't forget to check out the first part of our SHOWDOWN competition series, a slopestyle competition this Thursday at 6pm. Registration will take place from 4:30-5:30 at Guest Services. The cost to register is $10 (and you need either a valid season pass or lift ticket), but you will get a free t-shirt just for participating. The competition will take place in Black Bear Park.

Divisions for the competition are Women, 12 & Under, Novice Snowboarder, Novice Skier, Intermediate Snowboarder, Expert Snowboarder and Expert Skier. Prizes for the SHOWDOWN series include over $7,500 in Gift Certificates from Pinnacle Sports and The Ski Bum, boards from Palmer, skis from Atomic and Rossignol, certificates for PredatorWear jackets and other prizes from sponsors including Burton and Flow.

See you there!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please postpone this thing... there is no point now we need more snow to build a legit slopestyle course and its just gonna look bad for bear creek... everyone wants to compete in a good course so please just postpone it

I think everyone will understand the conditions. Bear is much farther south and warm weather happens. Its not like its a race course and everyone is concerned about their bases and edges.. So what if the out run is muddy? I thought urban stuff was cool :)

I dont know how many people will show up for the first comp. because the weather hasn't been too good but there seriously needs to be 3 skiier divisions. It's really going to be unfair for beginners and people that are in between. The amount of people on twin tips this year at bear as at least doubled and thats just the people that ride there every day.

PS. hold off the comp until next thursday please

Due to the warm conditions and the coming rain, Bear Creek is postponing the SHOWDOWN Slopestyle competition scheduled for this Thursday. The competition will now be held next Thursday, January 12th. Thanks for your understanding, and we hope to see you there!

Hows the snowcover holding up at Bear Creek? Do you think you guys will surive the 1-2 inches of rain? Do I still get a free day sometime?

Yes, we will survive the rain. The decision to postpone the comp was made so that we have time to make more snow and provide competitors with the best possible Slopestyle course.

there is no point now we need more snow to build a legit slopestyle course and its just gonna look bad for bear creek...

look bad for bear creek? its not like people are coming to BC to compete, its on a thursday, not exactly a travel day for us youngsters in school

This is kinda off-topic but how do they split the divisions. I've often wondered what consitutes a "novice", "intermediate" and "expert"? What are the capability dividing-lines? Can an intermediate pull 3's? Can a beginner slide a rail? Do experts have to whip 5's and flips?

This is kinda off-topic but how do they split the divisions. I've often wondered what consitutes a "novice", "intermediate" and "expert"? What are the capability dividing-lines? Can an intermediate pull 3's? Can a beginner slide a rail? Do experts have to whip 5's and flips?

its not off-topic at all because getting a novice, intermediate, and expert divisions NEEDS to happen. Any comment bearcreek_chick?

its not off-topic at all because getting a novice, intermediate, and expert divisions NEEDS to happen. Any comment bearcreek_chick?

Basically, we allow participants to place themselves in the division they feel is most appropriate. However, our judges will move competitors to another division if they feel that have been placed in the wrong one. If you're not sure where you belong, our terrain park crew will be more than happy to talk to you and help you make the decision.

And no, we do not have an Intermediate Skier division at this time. This is because in our past competitions we have always had many more snowboarders enter than skiers. However, if the numbers grow for skiers, we will certainly add an Intermediate division.

Hey Bear Creek chick, how about posting a report of how the conditions are sometime. Which two runs are closed at Bear Creak?

I don't post conditions here because it is generally easier for you to hop on Bear Creek's website to get an updated report. You can find the conditions page here.Conditions Report

To answer your question about the our trails, currently Bear Pass and Extreme are the only ones closed.

I mean like tell us how each individual run is like the way Jeff and I do on Blue moutain reports. Like say that Timberline was slushy and Extreme has moguls or something. You surely must be out riding most days. It would make more people want to ski and ride Bear Creek.

Not everyone is nearly as verbose as you when it comes to conditions, Doug :)

:rofl

:rofl

I just wish others would write up trip reports like mine, Atomics, Steezes, and DeathMetal Unicorn. NJSKI family how was Smuggs, alot of you guys went on holiday trips and I want to read about the. Not one person has said how cliffhanger at Camelback has been.

It is a huge bonus and an assett to have members like you Doug, who post hourly. I think that we all know the general conditions of the mountains that we frequent. There are numerous users from BC who are on here regularly. If you truly want to know, I think if you ask, "how were the conditions at BC today?" you would get the answer you seek.

PS.. I am keeping Cliffy a secret :ph34r:

I'll tell you, I had some of the best runs I have ever experienced on Cliffy recently. Early morning first runs were just absolutely great groomers. I had so much speed on some occaisions that I actually just about crapped my pants due to the compression at the bottom of the last headwall.. They got fresh snow - I know that all of the runs there are probably next to phenonemal as far as the poconos go right now!

Basically, we allow participants to place themselves in the division they feel is most appropriate. However, our judges will move competitors to another division if they feel that have been placed in the wrong one. If you're not sure where you belong, our terrain park crew will be more than happy to talk to you and help you make the decision.

Anyone lurking here from the park crew that can add anything here?

And no, we do not have an Intermediate Skier division at this time. This is because in our past competitions we have always had many more snowboarders enter than skiers. However, if the numbers grow for skiers, we will certainly add an Intermediate division.

My two cents worth..

Age divisions as in racing is what is fair. Typically the older you are, the more time on the slopes you have and subsequently the better your skills. Sure I think there should also be a "pro", expert or unlimited division, it should have the mad money and/or prizes. Pre-qualification, like proven invert should be a requirement for the expert division.

I think I saw that there is a 12 and under division for the Showdown which is cool for the beginners and great for my kid, but the possibility of rearranging a 12 year old into an expert division doesn't seem right.

I visualize in the future, 4 age groups as being an ideal format - then male and female, skier and rider. I know it makes for too much prize distribution, but so what? if the prizes are simple swag or medals, the comps are fun and give a chance for everyone to come out and hang together.

12 and under

13 - 16 yrs old

17 and over

Pro or Unlimited.

Just my opinion.