THE SHOWDOWN Slopestyle Competition

Bear Creek PR

My two cents worth..

Age divisions as in racing is what is fair. Typically the older you are, the more time on the slopes you have and subsequently the better your skills. Sure I think there should also be a "pro", expert or unlimited division, it should have the mad money and/or prizes. Pre-qualification, like proven invert should be a requirement for the expert division.

I think I saw that there is a 12 and under division for the Showdown which is cool for the beginners and great for my kid, but the possibility of rearranging a 12 year old into an expert division doesn't seem right.

I visualize in the future, 4 age groups as being an ideal format - then male and female, skier and rider. I know it makes for too much prize distribution, but so what? if the prizes are simple swag or medals, the comps are fun and give a chance for everyone to come out and hang together.

12 and under

13 - 16 yrs old

17 and over

Pro or Unlimited.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your suggestions. However, we wouldn't be able to classify our competition divisions by age. We have some riders here that are only 14 or 15 who blow away the guys in their early 20's. Also, we have people of all ages who are beginners because age doesn't have a lot to do with the time anyone has spent in the Parks freesking or riding. It has always worked best for us to classify competitors by ability level to ensure that everything stays fair.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your suggestions. However, we wouldn't be able to classify our competition divisions by age.

Thanks Mary, understood. A lot of freestyle events are just one or two categories however, I believe that that will change as time goes on. These competitions are in their infancy.

Basically, we allow participants to place themselves in the division they feel is most appropriate. However, our judges will move competitors to another division if they feel that have been placed in the wrong one. If you're not sure where you belong, our terrain park crew will be more than happy to talk to you and help you make the decision.

And no, we do not have an Intermediate Skier division at this time. This is because in our past competitions we have always had many more snowboarders enter than skiers. However, if the numbers grow for skiers, we will certainly add an Intermediate division.

so is that basically a no for this season for an intermediate division?

papa I really think as young as nipples is he should be in the advanced. thats if you werent thinking about putting him in the novice group.

There is a 12 and under group, that is the group he is in and the group he should be entered in.. regardless of skills level - I think that he will want to come out and hang with the BC Crew. He has fun with you guys. The competition doesn't matter so much if he wants to come out and just have fun. It's his choice. If he thinks the categories are lame and doesn't want to attend, then I will respect that. But I doubt that will be the case. He is very accustomed to competing with others many years older than he is. Whatever... But hey, i would like to see him win just one event, just one...

His bio looks suspicious, he places second, third and fourth in just about everything..

Edited by Papasteeze

he does? well the ones that he doesn't win he's compeating agenst people much older/more experanced usally and he's still beating most of them.

Yeah.. The rail jam at Belleayre put him at 18" smaller than his competitors :) or I suspect they are home mountain favorites, since it is a judged event. He placed second Frday night 2 weeks ago at RT in his category. He is used to the dynamics of competing in judged events. We are going to Whitetail this weekend, if he wins he goes to Killington representing Whitetail as his home mountain. You can kind of read between the lines on that. I am betting on second again.

It's all good though, he makes new friends at every mountain we go to as a result of those competitions and I think we both value that more than any trinket and swag..

OOPS - off topic, sorry..

Edited by Papasteeze

Yep. I called before and was told the contest is postponed.

Uh - I haven't called yet, but this is what is on the website:

NASTAR is cancelled for tonight, 1-11-06. Racing will resume as soon as conditions permit.

The Showdown Slopestyle Competition, sponsored by Pinnacle Sports, is going down this Thrusday, January 12 on Cascade Terrain Park. Cascade Park will be closed all day Thursday.

The Showdown Halfpipe Competition scheduled for Thursday, January 19 has been postponed. Check back for info on the new date.

so that means that its on bc tom is jan 12. Wait why is the comp in cascade isn't that the smaller park. One last question how do the judges know if we're droppin like switch or somethin

The warm weather has created havoc!! so instead of cancelling again they are having the comp in the small park.

Typically you raise your right hand to signal that you are dropping in switch. Skiers just ski backwards :rock

Uh - I haven't called yet, but this is what is on the website:

NASTAR is cancelled for tonight, 1-11-06. Racing will resume as soon as conditions permit.

The Showdown Slopestyle Competition, sponsored by Pinnacle Sports, is going down this Thrusday, January 12 on Cascade Terrain Park. Cascade Park will be closed all day Thursday.

The Showdown Halfpipe Competition scheduled for Thursday, January 19 has been postponed. Check back for info on the new date.

I just called again and they said its still on :confused

No, i dunno who gave you that information but the contest is ont. We have a fun little setup, style will definetly matter. theres some boxes and a short hand rail, thats all i can say

Since the park is closed until the comp, will there be a set amount of practice runs? If so, when will that time begin? Thanks.

And whats the condition of the other park. Just want to know if its worth ditching work to head on up this morning :D

k365p1.jpg

this morning from about 9:30 - but cascade is closed.

"how do the judges know if we're droppin like switch or somethin?"

At the USASA events (Bear is scheduled to have one later on this month check the calendar) - they have you raise your right hand to signal that you are dropping in switch.