Props

skidude

Props to CB for a few things.

First off, letting the race team close off Hump (steepest trail they have) for a few hours in the morning to set gates. It works out well, cause coming off the steep you have a transition, and a turn, which makes it more technical. Also they are letting us set on 1/2 of Big Ponono Run in the afternoons, which is a good SL set.

Thanks for giving your race team more support!

Secondly, the rocket is a pretty nice bump run now...Has some BIG bumps on it. Keep blowing snow every few nights on it, and it will have the best bumps around, period.

Do you think the new owner had something to do with this?

:yes

From what I hear, the new owner is a good skier, and likes bumps..>Hence the bump run.

He probably also understands that having a race team isn't just a pain in the butt, it can be good too. :wiggle

it prob has to do with the length of the headwall, b.c cliffhanger has a much longer headwall than the hump

I was talking to someone on the lift about that the other day. I concluded that it's probably because CB wanted a double black. But you are probably right, I think it has to do with length.

Edited by pyro_boarder

If the hump is the steepest, then why is cliffhanger a double black and the hump a single ?

Hump is usually the steepest...Usually there is a bigger pile of snow in the middle of it (possibly a 'hump' of snow). Its not there this year, but it still seems like it might be a little steeper than everything else. But it is only steep for about 75 feet...Where Cliffy is almost as steep for much longer.

I think hump should be a double personally. That trail is always so sketchy. Fallen n00bs everywhere. Decent pitch, lousy grooming and a hard right turn just at the bottom of the head wall. If you can't quite make it you get a face full of fence. I hate that trail. On a day with the worst possible icey conditions I will still run laps on Cliffy but you won't see me even thinking about the hump.

Duration is the reason though. Even if you straight bombed it, you couldn't get going nearly as fast on the hump compared to cliffy.

No doubt cliffy is overated, and is only a double black for CB's bragging rights, but there is SOME thought behind it.

I bet Sib has better insight, but Cliffhanger was first cut and opened to be a signature slope for CB. It was homologated, which means CB pays money to the FIS every few years to have it certified as a trail capable of holding an FIS event.

Blacks and double blacks, though, can have a pretty vague definition. Montage used to have one double black...now we have three. But no new trails were cut. Sounds like a riddle.

I think hump should be a double personally. That trail is always so sketchy. Fallen n00bs everywhere. Decent pitch, lousy grooming and a hard right turn just at the bottom of the head wall. If you can't quite make it you get a face full of fence. I hate that trail. On a day with the worst possible icey conditions I will still run laps on Cliffy but you won't see me even thinking about the hump.

Duration is the reason though. Even if you straight bombed it, you couldn't get going nearly as fast on the hump compared to cliffy.

No doubt cliffy is overated, and is only a double black for CB's bragging rights, but there is SOME thought behind it.

I agree, it is often the first to get icy.

Blacks and double blacks, though, can have a pretty vague definition. Montage used to have one double black...now we have three. But no new trails were cut. Sounds like a riddle.

Montages blacks are steep but nothing VERY steep, and nothing sustained. All their doubles have significant pitch and it's sustained. Maybe skiers are getting worse....

Montages blacks are steep but nothing VERY steep, and nothing sustained. All their doubles have significant pitch and it's sustained. Maybe skiers are getting worse....

It's probably that they wanted to show that Lower Fast Track and Lower Runaway were easier than the others, so people would feel more comfortable skiing the entire mountain from top to bottom.

Or, it's just that three double blacks sound better than one.

Do you like cliffy as much as Razors at Blue. Apparently Atomic Jeff can really push his GS11s to the limit on Razors..oh yeah...they're race stock... :nana

Cliffy > Razors. If nothing else than cliffy is always beautiful first thing, and I've never had a good day on Razors reguarding conditions. There have been days that haven't been as bad, but never good. I actually like challange better than razors, but challange is too narrow. They are both (razors and challange) pretty long though, thats the only advantage.

I was going the opposite...I'd take a CB pass over a Blue, but I like Challenge and Razors both over Cliffy. For me, I like the fall line that drops straight down the mountain on Blue's two, plus Cliffhanger's flat lower 2/3's gets pretty thick and crappy a lot, while snow gets scraped off Blue. Cliffy's probably a more 'interesting' trail, I guess, with it's bends and fall line changes.

I think hump should be a double personally. That trail is always so sketchy. Fallen n00bs everywhere. Decent pitch, lousy grooming and a hard right turn just at the bottom of the head wall. If you can't quite make it you get a face full of fence. I hate that trail.

I love the Hump. On Saturday morning, I couldn't wait for the ski team to be finished so I could ski it. I was like a vulture, making runs around it until I could strike!

Edited by ole2planker

Unless you hit it early Hump gets skiied off fast. It's total hardpack on top by the PM. Personally, with the bumps now, I think Rocket should be marked double D.

Cliff is a lot wider and you can usually find some good surface.

I could see rocket being marked DD if they were going to perminantly keep it ungroomed. That sounds appropreate.

I am also waiting for CB to put in a sign that says its not groomed...that just seems like a bad idea, not having a sign up about it...I woulldn't put it past someone (like myself) to see the top is flat, start a big GS turn, and then uhh die on the first bump :unsure:

I could see rocket being marked DD if they were going to perminantly keep it ungroomed. That sounds appropreate.

I am also waiting for CB to put in a sign that says its not groomed...that just seems like a bad idea, not having a sign up about it...I woulldn't put it past someone (like myself) to see the top is flat, start a big GS turn, and then uhh die on the first bump :unsure:

Yeah that is a good idea. You really can't see the terrain until you are at the lip. I've already seen a bunch of people heading down it in a snowplow. :screwy