MAJOR SNOWSTORM!!!!!

ColoradoHigh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yippee!!!!

INCREASING POTENTIAL FOR WEEEKEND BLIZZARD sounds good.

i love the wEEEkend.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-weather-headlines.asp

but of course, my hopes are high since we've been rejected by winter so far this year, and we probably wont get anything. :(

"hope for the best and expect the worst" doesnt even begin to cover it....

Edited by megan.

http://weather.kyw.com/US/PA/Philadelphia.html

click on the video...or just read this post...whatever floats your boat:

according to kyw,

25% chance of a coastal track (lotta snow)

50% chance of a middle track (snow but not so much)

25% chance of the storm goin out to sea (no snow...at all)

nbc isnt optimistic..........

abc isnt even acknowledging the system...

but at least there is potential...2 places saying a big storm might happen is good enough for me.

if there's any kids who still do the science fair in school: someone should find out what website has the most accurate forecasts...i'm sure its been done i just havent seen it...

better yet: anybody on here know who's got the most accurate forecasts?

Edited by megan.

[ anybody on here know who's got the most accurate forecasts?

www.noaa.gov

NOAA seems to be the most reliable. It's the national weather service's site. Stay away from accuweather. They seem to be the least reliable. They hype up storms that don't even exist, or even become reality.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I'm starting to get a little more excited now. This is from the national weather service.

"SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

811 PM EST WED FEB 8 2006

PAZ004>006-010>012-017>019-024>028-033>037-041-042-045-046-

049>053-056>059-063>066-091745-

WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-ELK-CAMERON-NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD-

NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-

JUNIATA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-

SULLIVAN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-SNYDER-MONTOUR-

NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-

CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-

811 PM EST WED FEB 8 2006

...A WINTER STORM MAY AFFECT PORTIONS OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA THIS WEEKEND...

COMPUTER GENERATED GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT A WINTER STORM WILL

DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHEAST STATES AND MOVE OFF THE NORTH CAROLINA

COAST SATURDAY NIGHT. EARLIER THIS WEEK...COMPUTER FORECASTS INDICATED A

MORE EASTWARD TRACK OUT OVER THE ATLANTIC. HOWEVER...MORE RECENT

COMPUTER GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED TOWARDS A MORE WESTERLY TRACK...WHICH

WOULD INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ACROSS

CENTRAL AND ESPECIALLY EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.

IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING THIS WEEKEND...PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA

WEATHER RADIO...OR YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL SOURCE OF WEATHER

INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST STATEMENTS AND FORECAST UPDATES ON THIS

POTENTIAL WINTER STORM."

Still to early for me to :rock

Like I've said before, I'm a weather weenie and monitor a lot of the models that the forecasters use. Right now, one of the models, the GFS, is showing 12 - 18 inches of snow for the Pocono area. Also, a meteorologist who runs a daily column is saying that this storm might have the potential to be ranked up there with storms like the blizzard of 96. I'm superstitous, so I don't like it when all of this hype starts happening, this far out. It's still too early to tell. Earlier in the week, the models were putting the storm out to sea or not even showing it. Now they bring the storm in closer to and up the coast. Too much time left for changes.

Edited by bigdaddyk

...A WINTER STORM MAY AFFECT THE REGION THIS WEEKEND...

WINTER IS NOT OVER YET. AND BY THE TIME THIS WEEKEND IS OVER, WE MAY REALIZE THAT IN A BIG WAY. OUR COMPUTER MODELS, DO NOT YET AGREE ON A SOLUTION FOR OUR UPCOMING WEATHER SITUATION. WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THAT A WEAKENING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BE DROPPING DOWN ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES FRIDAY. THE ENERGY FROM THIS SYSTEM WILL TRANSFER TO ANOTHER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING OUT OF THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY. THIS LOW IS EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY AS IT MOVES TO THE MID ATLANTIC COAST SATURDAY AND THEN TO OFF THE NEW ENGLAND COAST SUNDAY. PLENTY OF GULF AND ATLANTIC MOISTURE IS EXPECTED TO BE DRAWN INTO THIS SYSTEM. THERE LIES OUR POTENTIAL PROBLEM. DEPENDING ON THE TRACK OF THE STORM, THE POSSIBILITY EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL FOR MUCH OF OUR FORECAST AREA.

WITH COLD AIR IN PLACE, THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS SNOW SATURDAY. IF THE STORM TRACKS FAR ENOUGH TO THE EAST, THE BULK OF THE SNOW WILL BE ALONG THE COAST OR JUST OFFSHORE. IF IT TRACKS FARTHER WEST, THE HEAVY SNOW WILL FALL OVER MUCH OF OUR FORECAST AREA. AND IF IT TRACKS EVEN FARTHER WEST, CLOSER TO THE COAST, MILD AIR WILL BE DRAWN INTO THE SYSTEM BRINGING A CHANGEOVER TO RAIN TO SOUTHEASTERN PORTIONS OF THE AREA WITH HEAVY SNOW FALLING FARTHER INLAND. IT APPEARS THAT THE CRITICAL TIME PERIOD WILL BE LATE SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT.

AS THE EVENT DRAWS CLOSER, WE WILL GET A MUCH BETTER IDEA OF HOW THE UPCOMING EVENTS WILL PLAY OUT.

gotta love Subaru's Doug. the snow should be rolling in late saturday afternoon so i might end up going to Boulder for the comp. in the AM in Blue in the afternoon. Sunday morning should be powder-rific.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-stor...ler=0&article=0

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-stor...ler=0&article=1

Edited by toast21602

I was watching the weather channel this morning and at the top of the hour the hosts were talking about snow this weekend in the northeast. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!

We're heading to CB on Saturday. Just me and the NJ'lets. My husband is having chronic sinus infections this winter and will be at the ear/nose/throat doctor getting it checked out on Saturday (only available appt). We're heading to Smuggs next week and he wants to be as healthy as possible for that.

Beachie - tough call on going to VT this weekend. Where in VT? This storm might be a weekend event and you might be facing tough driving conditions coming home on Sunday.

unfortunately for Philly, there is the possibility to a changover to rain towards the end. Now Blue on the other hand.... 12+ would be nice

I don't live IN philly I live in Montgomery County. :rock

it supposed to fall through the night... they usually groom right after it closes or early morning on the slow skiing trails... so hopefully there is still some nice snow out there. if they were smart they wouldnt groom. that would be amazing

i'm gonna have to huck myself off of jumps and actually try shit because its going to be sooooooooooooft.

gotta love Subaru's Doug. the snow should be rolling in late saturday afternoon so i might end up going to Boulder for the comp. in the AM in Blue in the afternoon. Sunday morning should be powder-rific.

jeeps are better they are higher off the ground.

looks like i will be staying at my dads on friday night so i can get to the mountain nice and early for some pow turns