Racing at BC

BC-Mark

We are holding an organizational meeting at Bear Creek of Thursday March 16th at 7pm. We are attempting to spread the word to interested parents so that we can can their input for the 2006-2007 season.

Bear Creek is going to be expanding the "Timberline" trail and turning it into a designated racing trail and arena. The idea is to expand the program to offer race training, clinics, etc. in addition to our NASTAR.

Event will be held in the Mountainside Room in the Banquet Hall.

We are holding an organizational meeting at Bear Creek of Thursday March 16th at 7pm. We are attempting to spread the word to interested parents so that we can can their input for the 2006-2007 season.

Bear Creek is going to be expanding the "Timberline" trail and turning it into a designated racing trail and arena. The idea is to expand the program to offer race training, clinics, etc. in addition to our NASTAR.

Event will be held in the Mountainside Room in the Banquet Hall.

What's the main theme of the meeting? Is it to develop a junior racing program at BC? Or to globally expand the race program?

Idea for ya Mark,

Some mountains have a seperate fee for night training. I think Blue and Elk do. If you ran SL training a few nights a week for 100-150 bucks a sesaon I bet you would get a lot of people who want to train, but don't want to drive all the way up to the pocnons. (Such as myself ;) You could set a good SL course down that trail.

I would however recomend a lot of added lighting if you want to have night training.

I will be there. I also would like to push for the formation and organization of a freestyle/slopestyle program - team. The USASA format - NOT USSA...

I think that if both programs are added, that you will stand a better chance of success and subsequent support.

One of BC's big plusses is that it is close enough to get to after work for those of us to the south. I like the idea of formalized evening coaching - either NASTAR Clinics, or nonnastar training (for all ages) with real coaching that focused on SL, GS, etc. I bet a ton of people from Phili (and south) would come. There are no evening coaching options for adults or children south of Blue Mtn.

A dedicated run would require good lighting, snowmaking and a wide enough trail...

Edited by skimom

The focus of the forum is to provide an overview of what we are planning and get input from the skiers and riders on their wants and needs.

Right now we would like to develop a J4/5 program, have a dedicated trail to run dual Nastar and also rent it for gate training or provide a fee based training night for the public that would be seperate from Nastar.

I was stuck at work hoping that Pops wouldn't suggest that BC abandon their race program and turn the entire mountain into a giant terrain park with employee parking in downtown Macungie...

Seriously, BC_, what was the outcome vis-a-vis NASTAR, race training, etc. We are interested.

Seriously, BC_, what was the outcome vis-a-vis NASTAR, race training, etc. We are interested.

Maybe The BC PR people could post some of the graphics from the presentation??? There are some gems that were announced last night that weren't just about racing. I was late and missed the first part.

This is the second open forum meeting I have been to at BC and if there are ever anymore..... I can't stress enough, how top notch/top shelf the BC organization is and that everyone should try and attend to take note of how this mountain operates by attending a future meeting. Very Classy!

The meeting consisted of about 50 people and was represented by every racing venue you can think of. There were College clubs looking for a home, Nastar enthusiasts, J4/5 parents from existing mountains, parents of interested very young racers, MACK and other ski club entrants, hard boot alpine, USASA, USSA, ASRA, PARA etc etc..

Then there was me :blink: yes, I want to see them go a slightly different route with training/competition services that offer coaching, training, closed course gates, for the developement of all disciplines. I think they would do better with co-mingling fee structures by including all the different venues. Think development of Competing snow lover. Either way, if there is any type of program that we can join for weeknight training then we will be there.

Essentially they were gathering info on interest. I think that Mark was satisfied, in that no matter what he does with the proposed dedicated racing trails that they will likely be overbooked for the season. It seemed to me that there was more demand than he had trails. Discussion got to point of having 4 different lanes at one point.

BTW - PASR was mentioned as a place to post comments, along with emails sent direct to marks@skibearcreek.com

Weeknight training with real coaching for aspiring racers sounds like what we need.

Pops, would it be organized specifically for the various focuses - SL, GS, NASTAR/general [and coached by coaches recruited by BC] or by group/club [supplying their own coaches]? Or both?

• 2 months later...

My guess would be that if they deside to have a racing program (as of now, I think they do not have any full time coaches to have a full time program)...It would start off for skiers, and keep Nastar open to boarders, until they see how it works out. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried a boarding race team there before any other mountain did though...

VTmark could be the boarding team captain. :rock

Next year at BC i should race you mark and see how bad you whoop my ass.

I'm down, It would have to be a best of 3 nastar thing tho. I deffently ride a lot faster around gates then i do normaily.