Mountain Biking

ba3320

I was wondering what type of mountain bike trails Bear Creek has. I remember a while back they had some downhill trails and even some races. Any thoughts of bringing this back and are the downhill trails still accessable? Just got a new DH rig and am looking for somewhere to ride it.

oookay so i did the race in september and the trails were built like a week beforehand and it rained like all week and it was horrible conditions..but the trails now should be sweet. they've had a few months to settle in and recovered from the race and dried up probably. i have clearance from my doc to ride in late june...arg..

but i definitely plan on hitting htat during the summer..i wanna do that race again and not make a fool out of myself haha

its pretty difficult (or it was when i went...) i think its gotten a lot better though and theyve got some nice tech stuff: rock gardens, logs, really really hard switchbacks, long climbs, nice twisty singletrack..its not bad.

depending on where you live and what you like to ride, french creek state park is really awesome for singletrack and tech downhills...but thats only if you ride xc...

Summer riding plans:

Weekly rides at J-burg or Jordan - close and fun

JT- this Sunday for the Taylor benefit ride

Salisbury - 3-4x, great new trail system built by a dedicated crew of MB's

BC - Got to get over there to check it out followed by a few beers and wings

Lehigh - 1-2x, kicks my ass but keep going back

Locust Lake - 1-2x, great camping and trails

French Creek - 1x heard good things, gonna check it out camping

Keep records and a journal, although I guess I need a computer for mileage if its gonna mean anything

Edited by mbike-ski

Here is some general information about our mountain biking trails. If you want, I can also give you information about each of the specific trails.

We would like to invite hikers and bikers to come explore the hills surrounding our mountain resort. Access to the trails is currently free of charge. Free? Yeah, you read it right. We only ask you follow a few simple guidelines and stop in at The Grille at Bear Creek for some post ride refreshment.

Guidelines:

? Sign and submit our waiver before using the trails. This helps us keep track of who is out there

and helps keep the trails free.

? Sign the user register at the trail head

? If you are not a guest of our hotel, please fill out the parking pass and display it on the

dashboard of your vehicle.

? Helmets strongly recommended

? Bring a buddy, please don?t ride alone

? Ride within your ability, our trails become increasingly difficult the higher up you go.

? Ride in control and be able to stop.

? Yield to hikers and uphill riders.

? Pack it in, pack it out. Please don?t litter.

? Stay on marked trails. The ski slopes are not open for riding, they should only be crossed in

designated areas.

? Make sure your bike is in good working order before heading out

The trail system you will be riding is a conglomeration of years of mountain biking at Bear Creek. Portions of our old downhill and cross country race courses are included along with sections built by the Valley Mountain Bikers Club (VMB). You will also find some new sections and some re-routed sections. The trails are marked with blue, red, and yellow arrows with white backing and blue posts. If a section appears to be blocked it is intentional. These sections are either still under construction or have been re-routed. Please respect all trail markers. And, please stay off the ski slopes except in designated areas. Ski slopes are not groomed or maintained for biking or hiking. We hope you enjoy the trails, ride safe and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as downhill/freeride goes, Mtn Creek shines above all other local mountains with its high speed gondola and hosting its own series and the US Open of mountain biking.

Bear creek is the location of the final DH race in the mid atlantic cup series hosted by Racers Edge/Reading Racing this year i think.

Reading racing has their own labrynth of trails on the hill with the pagoda on it, duryea i guess, those trails kick total ass, but a shuttle truck is pretty much nessesary, adding a little to the run times.

french creek is an awsome techy rocky/rooty XC haven and is very fun, has many trails and is very organized.

another place not often mentioned but worthy of noting is march creek, near Eagle. has fast flowey trails with some roots and rocks, but no where near the technical level of french creek, but i enjoy it cause its fast.

Edited by mobile chernobyl

Here is some general information about our mountain biking trails. If you want, I can also give you information about each of the specific trails.

We would like to invite hikers and bikers to come explore the hills surrounding our mountain resort. Access to the trails is currently free of charge. Free? Yeah, you read it right. We only ask you follow a few simple guidelines and stop in at The Grille at Bear Creek for some post ride refreshment.

Guidelines:

? Sign and submit our waiver before using the trails. This helps us keep track of who is out there

and helps keep the trails free.

? Sign the user register at the trail head

? If you are not a guest of our hotel, please fill out the parking pass and display it on the

dashboard of your vehicle.

? Helmets strongly recommended

? Bring a buddy, please don?t ride alone

? Ride within your ability, our trails become increasingly difficult the higher up you go.

? Ride in control and be able to stop.

? Yield to hikers and uphill riders.

? Pack it in, pack it out. Please don?t litter.

? Stay on marked trails. The ski slopes are not open for riding, they should only be crossed in

designated areas.

? Make sure your bike is in good working order before heading out

The trail system you will be riding is a conglomeration of years of mountain biking at Bear Creek. Portions of our old downhill and cross country race courses are included along with sections built by the Valley Mountain Bikers Club (VMB). You will also find some new sections and some re-routed sections. The trails are marked with blue, red, and yellow arrows with white backing and blue posts. If a section appears to be blocked it is intentional. These sections are either still under construction or have been re-routed. Please respect all trail markers. And, please stay off the ski slopes except in designated areas. Ski slopes are not groomed or maintained for biking or hiking. We hope you enjoy the trails, ride safe and have fun!

Are trail maps available?