Opening Day

BC-Mark

Bear Creek's official opening day is going to be Thursday, December 14th. We will open at 9AM and operate normal hours.

As it stands now, we will be opening with the Cascade Park, Black Bear Park, Upper Black Bear, Upper and Lower Kodiak. Tentative trails for opening are Sasquatch and Grizzly.

I realize everyone was hoping for a Tuesday opening, but with rain in the forecast for Wednesday and well above temperatures in the 10 day forecast, we have decided to do some rough grooming starting tonight and tomorrow night and allow the snow to set-up to withstand the rain as best as possible.

I just came in from touring the slopes and there is a lot of snow out there so we should have some decent features in the parks for opening day. We will keep you up to date as we get closer.

Edited by BC-Mark

I know its great that Bear is opening on Thursday and thanks for the update Mark, but .....I am so dissapointed!! because I was so siked to get to Bear on Tuesday because i didnt have to work and I scheduled around it and now I cant go on Thursday because I have to work and I got basketball practice... :thumbdown:banghead:banghead

awesome, thanks secta....see whoever there saturday, i'll be in all houndstooth plaid haha...i'll also be the guy falling down all day cause i suck lol

yeh im hoping to get up there in saturday too, im probably wearing a red jacket with a red camelback. I really need a new jacket!

Also, I dont really understand why Bear isnt opening on Tuesday, i saw what BC-Mark said although why not get a good day in on Tuesday as supposed to waiting after the rain :confused

Edited by petter369

yeh im hoping to get up there in saturday too, im probably wearing a red jacket with a red camelback. I really need a new jacket!

Also, I dont really understand why Bear isnt opening on Tuesday, i saw what BC-Mark said although why not get a good day in on Tuesday as supposed to waiting after the rain :confused

If they groom everything out, then let people ski on it, then groom it out again, the snow surface won't be as hard, and more rain will go into the snow. If they leave it in piles, or groom it, and let it set up for 48 hours, letting the snow get harder, more rain will run off of it, making the snow a lot nicer when they do open, and saving more of it.

It would probably be icey most of the season if they opened then closed for rain then opened again, since its the base layer of snow.

Its certainly not cost effective at all to do the whole mountain, but I wonder why some places haven't concidered covering small areas or even just the whales early on like this with tarps to try to preserve the snow from rain? Would it melt under the tarp faster than the rain would take it out?

If they groom everything out, then let people ski on it, then groom it out again, the snow surface won't be as hard, and more rain will go into the snow. If they leave it in piles, or groom it, and let it set up for 48 hours, letting the snow get harder, more rain will run off of it, making the snow a lot nicer when they do open, and saving more of it.

It would probably be icey most of the season if they opened then closed for rain then opened again, since its the base layer of snow.

Ok, thanks for the clear up. It really sucks though that the weather is not cooperating. We need some colder temps and snow SOON!!!