Camelback Closed

Papasteeze

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB is more "cautious" then most when it comes to operations on "open" trails. The hazards involved make the risk not worth it. The lights being on has two reasons. 1, it helps the snowmakers and groomers operate more efficiently and 2, it allows the night security guards to be able to watch for "poachers."

The "substantial" improvements are happening every year. This season alone they have at least doubled the size of the Rhodo park, and increased the number of rails. Added a bigger pipe, and started a "freestyle" team. Those are just the things that are obvious. They also added many new snow guns, new hoses, pipe groomer, constructed new legend boards, learn to ride program, park pass, widened top of Upper honeymoon, widened bottom of Little Caesar, added a ski valet service, upgraded the electronics on the Sullivan lift and I can go on. Sorry if not everything makes it better for your needs, but, like Spock said " the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few."

And besides all that, the extra business that the other areas gets during our down times is good for the industry. It causes growth and gives people the opportunity to sample the beauty of the Poconos.

If CB is run so poorly, why is it the most successful area in the Pocono's?

CB is more "cautious" then most when it comes to operations on "open" trails. The hazards involved make the risk not worth it. The lights being on has two reasons. 1, it helps the snowmakers and groomers operate more efficiently

THis is Bull.. many western resorts blow and groom without lights. it's more of a billboard first. Why are they so much more cautious, is this good for the customer? I bet they still have bungee stakes at the bottom of all the chain link fences........... go take a look some time..

and 2, it allows the night security guards to be able to watch for "poachers."

OMG.... are you serious?

The "substantial" improvements are happening every year. This season alone they have at least doubled the size of the Rhodo park,

Doesn't matter if it doesn't open and the jibs are of sub standard quality compared to other resorts.

and increased the number of rails.

Rails? really? got any pictures or are you just reading and believing what they tell you?

Added a bigger pipe,

hahahhhaa. a small fraction bigger and certainly not any longer and here again, It will probably go like MC they will only open it in time for comps at the last month of the season.

and started a "freestyle" team.

I know 4 out of 8 kids on that team. The concensus is that that program will not attract many students due to the USASA affiliation. A couple of them are on that team under duress. Read my closed thread that announced the program in the CB forum.

Sorry if not everything makes it better for your needs, but, like Spock said " the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few."

I make it well known that CB does a little bit of everything and doesnt do any of those things exceptionally well. It is an interesting dynamic that the biggest mountain is so mediocre with its programs. OK, I will give them the pipe comparitively to others in previous years however I am betting that will change next year if not this year. besides, pipe is really old school and seems to be loosing it appeal in the park.

Because they run it for the most profitibility. Season ticket holders demand too much and give little in return. Besides, it is well known that the water park carries the whole operation. I can't honestly say that if I owned it that I wouldn't run it the same way. However I don't own it. I am vocalizing my disappointment that my spoiled little brats give me such a hard time about it when I tell them they are skiing there.

I know for a fact about the poacher issue (inside info). Western areas (most) dont have the lights to turn on. It is way easier to make snow when there is light. It allows you to better determine the "quality" of what you are producing (ask a snowmaker, see what he says).

As far as the rails go, I do not have pics but, I have seen them. No, it is not as many as some places, but, it's a start.

Of course being more cautious is good for the customer, and what the hell are bungee stakes?

The numbers between summer and winter are pretty close (inside info). CB is a two season business with the future heading towards a 4 season deal. All the others are forced to make the most out of the winter just to get by. Again, this is never going to be the most popular decision with the "diehard" skier, but, get used to it or go away. As I have said before, your whining is not going to have a positive affect on anything you want to see happen here. You seem to be a very creative guy, use some of your negative energy and come up with positive suggestions and you will get better results. They may not be instantaneous, but, all good things take time.

what the hell are bungee stakes?

If you slide off a trail into a chain link fence that does not have snow coverage, chances are that you will be impaled on a small tree that was cut during the off season. Far better that running into a tree I imagine, I just felt like picking on that little detail in spirit of cautiousness.

You seem to be a very creative guy, use some of your negative energy and come up with positive suggestions and you will get better results. They may not be instantaneous, but, all good things take time.

Ahhhhh... I try and have tried the diplomatic approach numerous times, my list is endless with a certain bad attitude towards the customer, the specific numerous examples are not needed to be mentioned. CB is aware of this, did you get the customer satisfaction survey? did you fill it out? Most people here have moved on from personal experiences that they had. As mentioned, this whole board was formed from disgruntled patrons of CB. Doesn't that tell you something in itself. There is a reoccuring theme. CB is a huge machine and in my mind it would be very easy for them to turn it around. But hey, they don't have to, they are doing quite well.

So.............. maybe you can help quiet me by answering these questions.

Can you give me the specific dimensions of the grading on the new pipe in comparison with the old one, include the lengths.

Also could you explain why they stopped where they did and not have it another 100' longer?

Is the shack up on rhodo to check for passes yet?

What rails and boxes are new this season? where is the list?

Has the winch groomer ever really been used?

Who runs the Zaugg? Has that person ever run one before?

Why won't CB have gapped lips to the jibs in the park.

Why are all the landings always flat on thier jumps?

Why won't they give the race team a trail to practice on periodically that is similar in distance to race day?

Why is thier marketing for the freestyle team but none for the race team?

Why won't they open just the beginner park on weeknights for the kids to goof around on?

Why aren't employees made to park away from the entrance. so that customers can park up close?

when will the rangers be taught about inverts vs off axis.

Edited by Papasteeze

1. I was told that the plan was to put a quarter pipe at the end of the pipe (facing uphill). The pipe is wider and the walls will be higher. I think the length was 400' (not 100% sure).

2.The shack is in place and ready to go.

3.I do not know all the "lingo" but, I watched them build several new ones and fix the old ones. The wall was fixed and tilted back a few degrees, the funbox-jibasaurus thing, two large rails (down-flat down? and a long flat...I think), a couple new boxes (not sure which park), and plans for some bigger jumps in the rhodo. I probably missed a few.

4.The winch groomer is used every night. It is used to groom up the experts and some intermediates and to push the piles in the pipes before the Zaugg shapes it.

5.The park groomer runs the Zaugg and he was brought here from another area last season. Experienced

6. The rhodo will be mostly jump-on features, the glade will be for learning

7. They are learning how to build better landings, you will see a difference this year

8. The race team gets to work first thing on weekends on a trail (sometimes Rocket, Dromedary, or others) I am not sure how long or what the reasons are.

9.Freestyle team is new, thus the marketing.

10.The beginner park will be open nights.

11.Not sure about the parking situation

12.Rangers need to be eduacated also. The off axis maneuvers are new to Cb and it will take a while for the definitions of what is allowed need to be worked out. It is being discussed.

NOW SEE? HOW DIFFICULT WAS THAT? thankyou very much..... Nearly all of your answers were straight forward and to the point! I'll have to generate another list.. haha.... Just kidding for now.

I appreciate you taking the time. thanks

1. I was told that the plan was to put a quarter pipe at the end of the pipe (facing uphill). The pipe is wider and the walls will be higher. I think the length was 400' (not 100% sure).

3.I do not know all the "lingo" but, I watched them build several new ones and fix the old ones. The wall was fixed and tilted back a few degrees, the funbox-jibasaurus thing, two large rails (down-flat down? and a long flat...I think), a couple new boxes (not sure which park), and plans for some bigger jumps in the rhodo. I probably missed a few.

4.The winch groomer is used every night. It is used to groom up the experts and some intermediates and to push the piles in the pipes before the Zaugg shapes it.

5.The park groomer runs the Zaugg and he was brought here from another area last season. Experienced

7. They are learning how to build better landings, you will see a difference this year

8. The race team gets to work first thing on weekends on a trail (sometimes Rocket, Dromedary, or others) I am not sure how long or what the reasons are.

12.Rangers need to be eduacated also. The off axis maneuvers are new to Cb and it will take a while for the definitions of what is allowed need to be worked out. It is being discussed.

• 1 month later...

Feeling sort of antagonistic and bumping this post since I wrote this before CB was open. Now they are open, yet they are closing the pipe and park again to do what? Blow more snow.. Thats good, but why not last week or even initially?

QUOTE(ski911 @ Dec 21 2006, 07:06 AM)

CB is more "cautious" then most when it comes to operations on "open" trails. The hazards involved make the risk not worth it. The lights being on has two reasons. 1, it helps the snowmakers and groomers operate more efficiently

THis is Bull.. many western resorts blow and groom without lights. it's more of a billboard first. Why are they so much more cautious, is this good for the customer? I bet they still have bungee stakes at the bottom of all the chain link fences........... go take a look some time..

and 2, it allows the night security guards to be able to watch for "poachers."

OMG.... are you serious?

The "substantial" improvements are happening every year. This season alone they have at least doubled the size of the Rhodo park,

Doesn't matter if it doesn't open and the jibs are of sub standard quality compared to other resorts.

and increased the number of rails.

Rails? really? got any pictures or are you just reading and believing what they tell you?

Added a bigger pipe,

hahahhhaa. a small fraction bigger and certainly not any longer and here again, It will probably go like MC they will only open it in time for comps at the last month of the season.

and started a "freestyle" team.

I know 4 out of 8 kids on that team. The concensus is that that program will not attract many students due to the USASA affiliation. A couple of them are on that team under duress. Read my closed thread that announced the program in the CB forum.

Sorry if not everything makes it better for your needs, but, like Spock said " the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few."

I make it well known that CB does a little bit of everything and doesnt do any of those things exceptionally well. It is an interesting dynamic that the biggest mountain is so mediocre with its programs. OK, I will give them the pipe comparitively to others in previous years however I am betting that will change next year if not this year. besides, pipe is really old school and seems to be loosing it appeal in the park.

Because they run it for the most profitibility. Season ticket holders demand too much and give little in return. Besides, it is well known that the water park carries the whole operation. I can't honestly say that if I owned it that I wouldn't run it the same way. However I don't own it. I am vocalizing my disappointment that my spoiled little brats give me such a hard time about it when I tell them they are skiing there.

--------------------

--------------------

uhh..... hes not lying. the owners son told me himself that there would be a snail box, and a c-bow box.

but your right, its not really anything to brag about. i think im moving my pass to bb next season :D