WHATS WITH THIS????!!!

Dark Wing

What is going on with the weather. personally i blame it on global warming. i effin hate global warming. and y doesnt BC blow snow at night? :banghead

uhhhhh....

do you watch any of the cams???? they blew tuesday and wednesday night.

PEOPLE......... R E L A X!!!!! first off this is NOT global warming, if you watch the wether channel at ALL which you obviosely havent this is el nino and its not the first time its happened, The same weather conditions have been happening since they started predicitng weather. Its just one of those years that we get screwed and dont get to ride till january, so instead of complaing and blaming it on global warming which it IS NOT. lets just calm down, and hope that since they open late that maybe we can get to ride into late april.

i just have a question, is it bear's fault for waiting untill the last possible minute to blow snow. compared to blue they didn't blow much, before they opened. and i was just wondering if the temp difference is really that great that they cannot blow, or is just them waiting it out for better blowing conditions. or just not wanting to blow idk?

PEOPLE......... R E L A X!!!!! first off this is NOT global warming, if you watch the wether channel at ALL which you obviosely havent this is el nino and its not the first time its happened, The same weather conditions have been happening since they started predicitng weather. Its just one of those years that we get screwed and dont get to ride till january, so instead of complaing and blaming it on global warming which it IS NOT. lets just calm down, and hope that since they open late that maybe we can get to ride into late april.

THANK You :bow finally someone with some thought telling everyone the real reason why this weather sucks. Also, Global Warming isnt going to just sneak up on us and be like "BOO" no skiing until January. It probably wont be in our skiing/boarding lifetime in which we will actually suffer from Global WARMING.

Edited by petter369

well a couple years ago accuweather said we were havin an el nino nad we got atleast 2ft of snow. so whats the difference now. its like the complete opposite. we didnt even have snow yet.

Well hopefully thats exactly what will happen thought, we'll get through this heat spell here and then it will DUMP the rest of the winter and into the beggining of spring, that would AWESOME!!!!

Its this thing called "weather forcasters do not have magic powers".

I realize they were endowed with the gifts of reading the read-outs from weather predicting supercomputers but nothing in this universe is perfect. They make mistakes. The trends the computers put out are only right a certain percentage of the time.

A big problem for bear is that is does not have that much vert. If you ever take to notice, the top of Blue is about 5-7 degrees colder then the bottom. So if you are wondering why Blue can make it and Bear can't thats another big one. Its basically the upper half of the mountain that is open too and they can also blow at the top and push some down to cover low spots.

Edited by Rodeo Steve

A big problem for bear is that is does not have that much vert. If you ever take to notice, the top of Blue is about 5-7 degrees colder then the bottom. So if you are wondering why Blue can make it and Bear can't thats another big one.

word

Bear has it tough. Another thing is Bear is about 500ft lower than Blue, and it faces Northeast. Blue faces almost due north so it gets the coldest winds and the least direct sun. The main reason Bear has been so succesful the past few years is because we've had a string of (for the most part) good winters. If it would have been like this three or four years ago I personally dont think Bear would be as big as it is today. Alot of speculators would have realized how dodgy their position is for snowmaking.

Most winters we don't even get a snowstorm until January..I remember one or two winters when there wasn't a snowstorm until March..it's still early season..things can turn around..at least you can go to Blue, BBJF, and Camelback...There were tons of Bear Creekers at Blue tonight..

that's a good point.. most of the time this area doesn't even see any anow until january or later. the philly area is famous for late winter snow storms. blizzard of 96 (which i still remember perfectly) was in mid january and continued into late feb. march can even bring lots of snow. yes it sucks having such warm weather, but it's really not that much of a big deal. bear's losing money being closed, but then again, it is only the very beginning of the season. a little patience would do everyone some good.

Remember the winter of 01/02? We had above average temperatures all year, I remember it was around 70 over Thanksgiving. I think we got maybe two small snowstorms, no more than 6inches each.

Then the winter after that was nearly perfect. Sleet on Halloween, 4-6inches of snow on Thanksgiving, a foot beginning of December, another foot over Christmas, snow on and off with temperatures rarely rising above freezing all through January. We had two weeks of record cold, and the Presidents Day blizzard. I remember there being snow on the ground into April.

Usually our weather tends to try and balance itself out like that. It gets really warm, then it turns around and gets really cold. Even if it is the difference between a warm month or a warm year its still going to get colder eventually.