WINTER HAS RETURNED!

Bear Creek PR

what a bad f*cking nite, first the eagles and now i cant go to bear tomoorow...i might just go to spring mtn for some turns, then JFBB or Blue monday and tuesday,

actually, maybe bb tomorrow cause they open till 3 am

oh god, whatever you do don't go to spring. they have spotty cover and 2 mailboxes that are more or less on their sides. not worth your $25, or whatever they're charging

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how to run a mountain but i sure as hell know they didn't blow as much snow as they could blow on the main trails. and there was absalutly no need for them to blow the other side of the mt. with this rain coming.

Yo man wrong on both accounts. Bear blew as much as humanly possible on all of the trails we had opened. We put all of the water the guns could handle into those guns on those open trails. We had extra pumping capacity so other guns on the other side of the mountain were on as well. Now once this supposed cold weather comes, we can blow on top of these piles on the other side of the mountain and get that opened up to. Blowing on top of piles makes more snow than blowing onto grass. We will aslo blow alot more on cascade and black bear, where there is also snow to blow on top of. I hope i answered your two supposed knocks on bear creek. Amazingly, the snowmakers here have a clue what they are doing. We should be opened again after all of this snowmaking takes place. Looks like we have alot of time to put down a solid base. I understand that your pissed that Bear isnt trying to mess up the snowmaking to make it so we arent opened. Bear wants to be opened just as bad if not more than you want it to be opened.

I really don't think Bear doesn't understand how to blow snow. From what I remember from last season (Mark, Mary, swdorsey, or BC Iron Works ... correct me if i'm wrong) most to all of their guns are towers. Unless one of you guys or gals want to pay BC to uproot those posts and relocate them, please think before you post. Because most of you aren't thinking at all, you are just ranting... I don't give a s**t if you paid for a season pass and only used it a few times. SO DID I, I bought an off-peak pass. I've been to BC three times total this season, last year I think I was up to 15-20. However, you don't see me complaining non-stop about it. There is nothing we can do. period.

But with that, I got one question for Mark, Mary, swdorsey, or BC Iron Works (or whoever from BC posts on this board) ... would it be possible to move the snow from the right side to patch up Kodiak, Black Bear, & Cascade? Bring in a dump truck (or something like the sorts) and fill it up with the snow from the right side and move it to the left? Because what I remember from yestarday, with just a small dumptruck of snow, you could of had a fully open kodiak.

I really don't think Bear doesn't understand how to blow snow. From what I remember from last season (Mark, Mary, swdorsey, or BC Iron Works ... correct me if i'm wrong) most to all of their guns are towers. Unless one of you guys or gals want to pay BC to uproot those posts and relocate them, please think before you post. Because most of you aren't thinking at all, you are just ranting... I don't give a s**t if you paid for a season pass and only used it a few times. SO DID I, I bought an off-peak pass. I've been to BC three times total this season, last year I think I was up to 15-20. However, you don't see me complaining non-stop about it. There is nothing we can do. period.

But with that, I got one question for Mark, Mary, swdorsey, or BC Iron Works (or whoever from BC posts on this board) ... would it be possible to move the snow from the right side to patch up Kodiak, Black Bear, & Cascade? Bring in a dump truck (or something like the sorts) and fill it up with the snow from the right side and move it to the left? Because what I remember from yestarday, with just a small dumptruck of snow, you could of had a fully open kodiak.

A dumptruck would tear the shit out of the mountain. One of those things on top of a muddy slushy hillside is bad news. Im not sure you could even get one up there.

Yo man wrong on both accounts. Bear blew as much as humanly possible on all of the trails we had opened. We put all of the water the guns could handle into those guns on those open trails. We had extra pumping capacity so other guns on the other side of the mountain were on as well. Now once this supposed cold weather comes, we can blow on top of these piles on the other side of the mountain and get that opened up to. Blowing on top of piles makes more snow than blowing onto grass. We will aslo blow alot more on cascade and black bear, where there is also snow to blow on top of. I hope i answered your two supposed knocks on bear creek. Amazingly, the snowmakers here have a clue what they are doing. We should be opened again after all of this snowmaking takes place. Looks like we have alot of time to put down a solid base. I understand that your pissed that Bear isnt trying to mess up the snowmaking to make it so we arent opened. Bear wants to be opened just as bad if not more than you want it to be opened.

please tell me if im wrong or not but, how come everytime i looked at the webcame it looked as if only a few of the guns where on at a time on the 2 main trails, or was i just not looking close enough? and does bear creek have the capicity to turn every gun on at the same time, would they if they had the chance?

tell_them_nothing is exactly right about the dumptruck on the slopes. If it could actually make it up the slopes it would really do a lot of damage. In dry conditions a dump truck has problems going up Kodiak so I would say there is no possible way to take a dump up on wet/slushy trails.

As for snowmaking, we ran every tower gun on the three trails we opened plus the 12 wheel guns we use to fill in the gaps. We used every hydrant on the pipelines on those trails and every gun ran during every session. We have the ability to run all 94 guns we own at one time from an electrical standpoint. We do not however have the pumping capacity to supply water to more than about 60 guns at a time at a 28F wetbulb. This is not uncommon, I do not know of a resort that is capable of making snow on all their terrain at 100% capacity. As the wetbulb drops we have to reduce the number of guns we are running to allow the guns we continue to run to run at peak capacity. Given that we had an average wetbulb of 26F during this last snowmaking period, we had some extra water capacity so we put that capacity to work on Grizzly, Drifter and Teddy Bear hoping we keep some of that snow and gives us a leg up when we can start making snow again. When the wetbulb dropped to 21.3F, the lowest we have seen this season, we shut down the other trails in order to maximize production on the three trails that were open.

It is true we have an owner that is very financially stable but there isn't a business I know of that wants to lose money. We opened the trails because we saw the rain coming and knew we were likely going to lose the snow we made over the 4 day thaw/rain/fog period. We figured it would be better to offer at least a few days of riding than none at all. Looking at the forecast, we will be open by Thursday/Friday and my recommendation would be to bring your goggles because if the temperatures permit we will be making snow during operating hours.

Besides I'm sure they didn't plow out the whales on the un-opened trails. A 5 foot thick pile of snow will survive this weekend to be a 3 foot thick one, so they're not starting from scratch. Just be happy you got those days - Mountain Creek didn't open at all and our weather is colder up here.

Not to mention about the dumptruck thing, have you seen the video of a mountain in the early 90s trying to use a backhoe to groom the terrain park? it ended up slipping and tumbling down the hill, it was pretty nasty.

Not to mention about the dumptruck thing, have you seen the video of a mountain in the early 90s trying to use a backhoe to groom the terrain park? it ended up slipping and tumbling down the hill, it was pretty nasty.

Can anyone find that video? it sounds like it would be a good laugh