WINTER HAS RETURNED!

Bear Creek PR

Hey everyone,

We have been making snow at every opportunity and will be re-opening tomorrow (Friday) at 4pm. The trails we anticipate having open are Cascade, Upper Black Bear, Kodiak, Paw Prints and a portion of Cub Run. We'll have an updated list for you tomorrow morning after we groom.

Hope to see you all tomorrow!!!

Mary

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary, how about some information on what's going on with the back side of the mountain particularly Timberline. It's great to get a camera over there, but why no snow blowing. BC spent a lot of money on a race trail, organized a race program and your not even blowing snow over there? Very disappointing!

We haven't made snow on Timberline yet due to the short snowmaking windows we have had available. This time around we will open with just over 40 hours of snowmaking. It will provide just enough cover to allow us to open.

To reach Timberline, you need snow on at least three other trails. We have the capacity to pump 4000gpm of water. If we were to make snow on all our trails at one time, or even the trails required to reach Timberline, we would have to supply each gun with far less water than they are capable of using. The result would be all trails being dusted with snow and not enough to open a single trail.

To have a shot at opening, we are giving the guns on Cascade, Upper Black Bear, Kodiak and Cub Run as much water as they will take in an effort to make as much snow as we possibly can in a short amount of time.

Looking forward to the cold next week after the rainy Holiday weekend, what are Bear Creek's priorities for trail coverage?

Or in general...is it the goal/policy to blow a bunch of snow on the main face for all the features of the terrain park, or to get as much trail coverage as possible before returning to blow more snow in the terrain parks?

Our normal plan of action is to open as many trails as possible, as soon as possible. We typically put down an extra 8" to 12" of snow on terrain park areas prior to moving off that trail. This allows us to create decent features until we are able to return and really pound the terrain parks.

This year, we have had to shift that philosophy since the weather is giving us very limited windows for snowmaking followed by high tempertures and rain.

As a result, we want to focus on a couple trails and put down as much snow as possible to weather the thaws that seem to follow. If we see a 10 day forecast without a potential thaw we will return to our normal snowmaking patterns.

Since you are unable to access the trails off the new quad without snow on the front side of the mountain it is only logical to make those trails our focus. When we have extra capacity, we began moving across the mountain from left to right.

stop bitching, i mostly ride park but if they didnt open the park i wouldnt be pissed i drove up yesterday and made a snowball i had tears of joy in my eye snow alone makes me happy but when you put snow+hill+board=one very happy person if you ride or ski be happy you finally have an oppurtunity to do so after the shitty start to the season so whoot whoot