Opening Day for the Oak Grove Half Pipe

SkiCamelback

I like the QP at the bottom. The skiers left wall looks pretty rough on the height although it doesn't really matter since you only use a 6" wide section at a time, it is just unsightly. That is one of those rushing to get it open things, usually they let the snow sit in piles for like a week and then push it around so it is denser, but I appreciate CB being one of the first to open a pipe. The size looks good, a little less than a super pipe but enough that you can actually ride it the right way. I'm looking forward to hitting it.

the pipe is nice, the only objection i have to it is that its not that long, but its still great. but the quarter pipe, is just so much fun. I hiked it so many times this night and this morning. I also got in the daily pic of the quarter pipe, im not the one hitting it just sitting there waiting. I really cant say enough how much i love that quarter pipe.

what did you think? nips said he was only getting one good hit. park passes are working well............

Park passes were good. No one in there that shouldn't be, called drops etc. It's the biggest and best pipe I've ridden but thats not saying much. Skis are totally different than snowboards in the pipe because of body mechanics. I could get 3-4 solid toe side hits, my heel side is pretty weak. I think I'll be hiking it alot this season.

Edited by Glenn

Ironically, I posted this picture in another forum to solicit comments.

pipe%202.jpg

This is a comment that was made prior to the pipe being opened:

I hate to be negative, but it looks like someone needs some cat lessons. Those holes (pock marks) are created from not correctly farming the snow. (mixing it together to compensate for varying moisture content) Secondly, the transition looks like there is a step between the flat bottom and the sides. Finally, the cutter was not kept level as is apparent by the various degrees of vert. All that being said, I think you could still have a good time on it once you figured the various hits out!

All the comments that I see above directly translate to the "not Ready for Competition" level that I saw on Sunday. Are YOu going to bring up the "quality" of the pipe CB?... I asked preseason, who was running the Zaugg. Here again, I hope your not resting on the Laurels that you have a large pipe and get it corrected quick. You don't have weather to blame now or then.

If you need references for some pipe builders who know what they are doing and can spot inadequacies from a photo prior to opening then let me know.

Ironically, I posted this picture in another forum to solicit comments.

pipe%202.jpg

This is a comment that was made prior to the pipe being opened:

All the comments that I see above directly translate to the "not Ready for Competition" level that I saw on Sunday. Are YOu going to bring up the "quality" of the pipe CB?... I asked preseason, who was running the Zaugg. Here again, I hope your not resting on the Laurels that you have a large pipe and get it corrected quick. You don't have weather to blame now or then.

If you need references for some pipe builders who know what they are doing and can spot inadequacies from a photo prior to opening then let me know.

Here we go again....a new trail with a new groomer on opening weekend. Give me a fuckin' break. CB please close the pipe and post a sign at the top to all riders that it will not reopen until Mrs.Douchenozzle gives her approval.

Questions for the park crew.......you're in line waiting for your turn to go in the half pipe. The person in front of you goes in. How long should you wait until you go in? Is it some certain amount of time or do you wait until the person has criss-crossed a few times? What's the rule here?

We were there on Saturday and it seemed some people waited just a few seconds and then dropped in and some people waited until the person was halfway down the pipe.

Also.....is there a designed "line forms here" spot? I know this sounds obvious but it was difficult to tell who was in line versus who was just sitting on the ground taking a rest. We don't want to cut in line but we also don't want to stand behind someone who is just taking a break.

Thanks guys......

Papa- Thanks for the critique. The photo that you used for the review on the other message board was taken after one of many shaping sessions by the groomer (cut Thursday Night, photographed and posted Friday).

Your expert was correct- it was a little rough. To judge our pipe with that photo is incorrect-- that

Questions for the park crew.......you're in line waiting for your turn to go in the half pipe. The person in front of you goes in. How long should you wait until you go in? Is it some certain amount of time or do you wait until the person has criss-crossed a few times? What's the rule here?

We were there on Saturday and it seemed some people waited just a few seconds and then dropped in and some people waited until the person was halfway down the pipe.

Also.....is there a designed "line forms here" spot? I know this sounds obvious but it was difficult to tell who was in line versus who was just sitting on the ground taking a rest. We don't want to cut in line but we also don't want to stand behind someone who is just taking a break.

Thanks guys......

There isn't a specific line, but typically if you arive after other people you take position somewhere behind them. I ride goofy, since I like to drop in and hit my toeside wall first I line up on the right side of the pipe. Most of the regular riders line up on the left. If someone is sitting on the ground they are generally resting OR they will stand up to take their turn. If they are sitting around when you are ready, call your drop and all should be good. Getting cut off AFTER you have started to pick up speed to drop in is way worse then getting "cutoff" in the waiting line.

It's personal preference as to how long to wait. If a bunch of people are standing around and you wait to long someone else may call their drop. At the same time, it's not fun getting really close to someone else in the pipe. I like to start my drop in when they are approaching their 3rd hit, so even if they fall, there is still a pretty good space between us.

Rather than continueing to tear apart everything that Camelback does I think we should just get it set in our heads that managment will never fully understand how a park should be run. Once we come to terms with that we can take Camelback for what it is, a resort that cares more about it's tourists on rental gear. Then if Camelback ACTUALLY comes up with something good this year we can all be thoroughly suprised.

Something tells me that if CB ended up haveing the best pipe and park in the poconos you would still complain.

Just like any trail, it takes a few days and trips with the groomer to get everything just right. The pipe is pretty good for the first pass. It will get better with the next few trips with the zaugg.

Something tells me that if CB ended up haveing the best pipe and park in the poconos you would still complain.

wrong again.. notice anything missing? no one has said that the pipe was awesome. CB poured a lot of money into that trail, weather has been dismal, they now have the opportunity to show what they got and........... after the first weekend they move the fence so that you can't drop into it? give people passes with out ID, move feature from Laurel to Rhodo.

People in the know say they didn't "farm" the snow and that is why it is mis-shapen. Pipe cutting 101

"Just like any other trail"
ah yep, thats the attitude that proves CB doesn't know what they are doing with parks.

wrong again.. notice anything missing? no one has said that the pipe was awesome.

you can (and probably will) slam me for not knowing anything about pipe cutting (this is true), but to counter the statement above, as an impartial bystander I have to say that the general tone of peoples comments on the pipe on this MB were positive (until the moved the fence and upset Glenn)

Given how much we all like to whip CB when they do something bad, this tells me the pipe was actually a good addition to the mountain even if it didn't live up to your expectations or their marketing hype.

Do you really believe everything you say or do just really like being confrontational?

prove me wrong! because with comments like that, it is you who is being confrontational. I am talking about the pipe at CB, what are you talking about? Be part of the solution and not part of the problem!

Let me try to help some more...... here, see the voids in the snow in the wall of this pipe? what causes that and why are those voids bad?

daily_hi_2_l.jpg

Papa

"Understand, that given the choice, i won't be bringing back nips to that pipe"

So where are you going?

he had friends in town from Ohio who had a video shoot lined up on Sunday, a really fun opportunity to ride and get filmed with some really sick park skiers.. He decided that he wanted to get some pipe time under his belt before Steamboat. I got a wrath of grief when picking him up. So, not that you need to know all that, I am relatively sure that if I give nips the choice, pipe or park he will choose park.

Once burned twice shy, he won't believe me now at this point. I am the one who told him that the pipe has to be good. He did say that it was better than nothing at all but not worth wasting the morning on it. Understand?

Rather than continueing to tear apart everything that Camelback does I think we should just get it set in our heads that managment will never fully understand how a park should be run. Once we come to terms with that we can take Camelback for what it is, a resort that cares more about it's tourists on rental gear. Then if Camelback ACTUALLY comes up with something good this year we can all be thoroughly suprised.

I would agree with you 100% if the Fall marketing hype and conversations about how great a pipe and park was going to have this year had not swayed to make a poor decision to get passes.

prove me wrong! because with comments like that, it is you who is being confrontational. I am talking about the pipe at CB, what are you talking about? Be part of the solution and not part of the problem!

Let me try to help some more...... here, see the voids in the snow in the wall of this pipe? what causes that and why are those voids bad?

Papa, I don't ride pipe yet and you established what causes those voids. Why are they bad?