Opening Day for the Oak Grove Half Pipe

SkiCamelback

Well considering the small pipe isn't open, yes. I've seen plenty of skiers ride the small pipe so take that for whatever it's worth. The bigger pipe is going to be scarier, so the small pipe might be worth it just to get comfortable. It's not THAT big though.

Edited by Glenn

Papa, I don't ride pipe yet and you established what causes those voids. Why are they bad?

They also turn into bigger voids much faster since they let air in around the surface and melt out faster. sort of like pot holes when driving. little pot holes turn into big ones if they are not filled in. Those voids will degrade the "quality" of the pipe quickly. They are caused because the snow that was blown wasn't "worked" into an even consistency. Sort of like stirring the batter to get the lumps out.

Can snow be added then recut, or completely re-tilled then cut?

Well considering the small pipe isn't open, yes. I've seen plenty of skiers ride the small pipe so take that for whatever it's worth. The bigger pipe is going to be scarier, so the small pipe might be worth it just to get comfortable. It's not THAT big though.

I'm 6'6" tall so going sideways in the 6' pipe scares me more than a 12' wall. I just feel the longer transition would be more comfortable.

Edited by cameltoe

Can snow be added then recut, or completely re-tilled then cut?

It's not feasible to redo. My understandings is that the damage is done

it looks like someone needs some cat lessons. Those holes (pock marks) are created from not correctly farming the snow. (mixing it together to compensate for varying moisture content)

...........................Always start small when learning park features.. however there is nothing wrong with learning to turn on the walls of the bigger pipe other than having to deal with pressure of getting labled of noob.. no worries! just have fun!

The only way to fix a pipe is to push all the snow in the middle and start over once it is open. papa is right that those are going to melt out big time as soon as we get some warm weather. There is also almost no hope that the pipe will have less air in it deeper inside. I thought they built that pipe way too fast. If you look at Mountain Creek they fill the ditch with snow, then run it over with cats for a solid week or more, push it around, run it over, push it around, run it over. What they are doing is removing the air from the snow so it is denser, and also letting it get more compact. Then they push it up on the walls and shape the pipe with cats, and then they cut it with the Zaugg. My feeling here is that it is not the Zaugg or the guy running it that is the problem - but rushing to get the pipe open. At least 3 or 4 days should have been devoted to letting it sit and running it over, but if you noticed we saw snowmaking guns and then grooming almost immediately.

I reserve judgement on the pipe till I ride it, but that doesn't bode well.

Also papa they can't cut it as often as we'd like, it won't last. Creek cut about twice a week last year and they started exposing dirt by the end of the year, and their pipe opened about this week. Out west if the thing is 100% snow you can cut much further without hitting dirt and your fine. Or you can do like Mount Snow and cut everyday but close it for a week midseason to rebuild it, because there isn't enough depth on the face.

Worse than not cutting it now, would be to have it too thin late season after the snowmaking weather is gone, and have dirt spots appear prematurely and ruin the whole thing. It is better to do fewer cuttings not and when the conditions are prime in the spring it will be great.

for anyone that wants to ride pipe, make your way to 7springs. our small pipe (12-13 ft, built and zaugg cut by planet snow design) is open and is being cut about 2-3 times per week. it is 300 ft long so you get about 5 solid hits.

our big pipe ( 18 feet, zaugg cut) is in the works and should be opening pretty soon. they are shooting for 450 feet long and with the amount of snow they have been blowing for it, im not doubting it will be.

hope some of you can make the trip. "The Spot" terrain park and pipe should be really good within two weeks time.

There isn't a specific line, but typically if you arive after other people you take position somewhere behind them. I ride goofy, since I like to drop in and hit my toeside wall first I line up on the right side of the pipe. Most of the regular riders line up on the left. If someone is sitting on the ground they are generally resting OR they will stand up to take their turn. If they are sitting around when you are ready, call your drop and all should be good. Getting cut off AFTER you have started to pick up speed to drop in is way worse then getting "cutoff" in the waiting line.

It's personal preference as to how long to wait. If a bunch of people are standing around and you wait to long someone else may call their drop. At the same time, it's not fun getting really close to someone else in the pipe. I like to start my drop in when they are approaching their 3rd hit, so even if they fall, there is still a pretty good space between us.

Thanks Glen for the reply. I didn't even think about people dropping in from the right hand side. I like the advice of waiting until the 3rd hit.

We were at CB on Saturday. So did we get a chance to try out your advice? Of course not. Why? Because when we got over to the pipe it was completely empty!!! Not a soul other than the park guy checking passes. No one in the pipe and no one waiting. I started wondering whether or not it was haunted. :blink: It was still empty when we left.

We didn't go back for a second turn.