ASRA Roundtop Report

Metz the Jersey boy

Got back a little while ago from Ski Roundtop, which I have to say is one pretty sweeeet small mountain. I think that between Bear Creek and Roundtop PA has some of the coolest sub-800 vert mountains around.

Anyways, about the race-

This was ONE HELL OF A COURSE!!!

I didn't ski to well today, but I think I've got strep throat, so I didn't feel so well this morning. I was really close to being the slowest guy on the hill today. The course was REALLY offset and A LOT of fun. I ran a 42.-- and a 41.--. Bernie Resch, who may be the fastest racer I know put up a pair of 31's. Basically- I got smoked like a crackpipe in Newark. Bernie was also the fastest person on the mountain today by almost 5 seconds across two runs. It must be nice.

I really can't get over how great the course was today. Props to the Roundtop Race Dept. for running 4, yes 4 RACES TODAY!!!! 3 of which were on the same trail, that somehow never got rutted out. Great job guys!!!! The snow was great today, and RT's snowmakers are fantastic at what they do. We started seeing a little bit of boilerplate at the end of the day, but it was nothing you couldn't get an edge in.

The best part of racing here is that they have Nastar directly following the ASRA race and they give us a discount- $5 gets us unlimited runs after the ASRA race. I think I did 6 runs today. I logged a few more silvers, but with a little bit high handicap today. All in all it was an awesome day on the snow. I'll post a report after the slalom tomorrow. PEACE.

I was at Roundtop yesterday (Friday) and Exhibition was really fast (without a course on it). My Suunto read nearly 700 FPM (vert only) on one GS-type run I made. The snow is definitely the best I've seen this year and I've always believed the RT snow making and grooming crew to be among the best in PA. Glad you had a good time and good luck tomorrow.

Well Doug, Roundtop is about 2:15 from Bound Brook. Luckily my cousin Lauren and her husband Bradley live approximately 8 minutes from the mountain and they've put me up for the weekend.

Yeah ski, I wish Dave and Roman were out here this weekend to throw down with Bernie. I know Dave really likes these turny technical courses. They threw some interesting stuff at us: off camber turns, a turn extended by a through-gate to change up the rhythm... It really was a learning experience.

And Jeff- most of the time I'll bet on you. You know that. This time, however- :no