smugglers notch

Sno Mountain Skier

it is pretty good sking last year i went in the begining of march and we got a 6 inch dump over night into the morning (so nice)

the lifts are so slow but the have a couple of peaks which are sometimes a pain ins the ass to get to b/c you have to go alone long flat trails but the do have some nice dimonds

• 3 months later...

We're going up to Smuggs in mid March.

Yes, they have the triple black diamond - The Black Hole. Its on Madonna Mountain.

I bought this neat book called "The Great Vermont Ski Chase" (by Karen D Lorentz) and it reviews all the major ski resorts in VT. Here's what it says about The Black Hole:

"a triple black diamond and is filled with hair-raising steeps, cliffs, and moguls threaded through ungroomed snowy woods. The top 600 feet of this 1,600 foot trail are pitched at a 65-70 percent grade. The vertical drop is 800 feet"

I remember reading somewhere that skiing it feels like you're in a free fall.

When we go up I'll ask the instructors about it.

We skied at Smuggs over the Christmas break and the conditions were horrible. So not a fair comparison. They have gotten quite the snow dump recently so we're looking forward to some great conditions next month.

I've been there..very nice place. Very family oriented like people have stated already. I personally wasn't blown away by it or anything..but its still a nice place. The year I went up there the weather was rediculously cold. but pretty good skiin besides bein freezin cold

My parents went a few years ago for a weekend and loved it, we were supposed to go back like 2 weeks ago but b.c I couldn't ski they didn't see much sense in going. If you do go though I recommend, "planning the vacation" through the resort and stay there, it gets you into all the activities. If you go on their website and say you are interested you get a pretty nice size package of information in the mail along with a dvd of all the activities. It?s an awesome trip and it is ranked the number one family resort in the east if not the country. It?s really really nice, has great deals (we had a slope side condo to sleep 6, 4 lift tickets, 4 lessons for everyday we were there (4days)) and all on site activities are included for like 1500$ or something like that. And as long as you call a week prior to ur arival date you can get a full refund.

Edited by RacerChick

The year I went up there the weather was rediculously cold. but pretty good skiin besides bein freezin cold

I hear you. We stayed during the President's Day weekend in 2004. When we woke up on the Sunday morning the temperature at the top of Sterling was minus 26 degrees.

It was sunny with no wind so if you were active it wasn't bad. But those chair lift rides were tortuous - it felt like my fingers were on fire. I can see why the recommendation is to wear mittens and not gloves.

My kids' ski instructor gave out handwarmers to all the kids at the end of their lesson.

Funny when the temps are that cold....the grooming machines made the snow harder and not easier to ski on. I preferred the ungroomed trails that day.