Laurel Glade and Rhodo

YellowSnowJerseyPro

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nips will be sampling the park tonight - the only word I got is that the pipes have been recut. It's weird that there has been little comment on the CB parks as of late. Hope it doesn't fit under the category; if you don't have anything nice to say.................................

Nips will be sampling the park tonight - the only word I got is that the pipes have been recut. It's weird that there has been little comment on the CB parks as of late. Hope it doesn't fit under the category; if you don't have anything nice to say.................................

Yes i know it is weird hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm <_< but can you please let mek now how it was and a detailed description by at least 1230 pm tomorrow???

By Saturday night they should have everything reworked and in pristine shape for your arrival. This is the Friday night report (second hand)

The landings are too flat and were icy, the pipe walls were under vert and have been chopped down to 10 or less. the rails in the big park have huge gaps and are elevated to flat landings, the up down box is mad "wack", the wall ride is too verticle and the landings of the boxes in the little park are bomb cratered out. the little park is more fun than the big park. no one was in the big park.

WOW!! CB............... nobody wants a park pass to a park that sucks. Get a frickin clue!

I will try to get some pictures to post of just how lame some of the set ups are. What a shame. WHO the hell manages that park and the setups? Park crew says it is the groomers who do set the lips and landings and that they are not allowed to touch anything.

God....... are you guys really this inept? Every single person that I ran up with that was in that park was disappointed.. every one! 5 of them to be exact. What an expensive farce. Next time you want to piss away money like that, throw some this way.

Please get a clue.

i was there last night (friday).

you get in the park.

(1st thing to the right) gap to flat wider rail- it was off centered and wiggled when i got on it it. drops to flat.

(1st thing on the left) jibzilla box- i used it as a wall ride like thing. but theres other ways to hit it (i wasnt sure how) and i didnt see anyone else do it.

next set

(left) larger gap jump- same size jump as the jump to the right only the gap was larger, didnt find anything wrong w/ it other then the size of the jump

(right) jump w/ a smaller gap, landing was mellow. like it

next set

(center) up down- poorly set up (from what i saw didnt do it, i was too scared) it was very high off the ground, no real reason to have it piled that high. no one hit it the entire time i was there.

(far left) wall right- its vertical its a wall.

next set

(center) jump- it was nice, decent gap.

that was what was on roho. it was mostly empty all night laurel glade's landing were all bombed out.

hope this helped

I don't do the parks anymore but this is what I have gained talking to people who ride them at CB.

Most people I ride the lifts that have park passes don't complain about the park at all, and say its "ok" Last year I had all kinds of complaints from all kinds of skiers/snowboarders. Even the message board has quieted down. So I would say the parks are "ok" because not too many people complaining about stuff compared to the past. (some people will never by happy no matter what--maybe its not the park but their ability)

I did receive one comment that the walls of the 1/2 pipe need to be at least 1 to 2 feet higher and straighter. The walls were wavy in the beginning, I don't know how they are now.

They say the park passes has cut down the number of people who should not be in the park. Maybe that's why you don't see anyone there because its keeping the beginners out of there and sitting on landings of stuff. Exactly what the pass was designed to do.

I think that CB put a lot more into their parks this year compared to last and that really was long over due.

The consensus from park riders I talk to: "Its a good but needs more"

If say 2,000+ people get park passes this year it shows there is a demand for having a good park to ride in and lager possibilities for the future.

I know CB has some type of shoppers panel that visits the mountain, maybe they could get someone from that panel to visit he park and ask some people what they think and what is needed in the future.

I watched a few people hitting the "scary" flat-down (or up-down for the visually impaired). They didn't seem to have any problems.

The groomer that makes the park, is also a good rider. He and some of the park crew guys are the designers and work together during the setup. They don't seem to have any problems with it. Maybe it is an ability thing.

The gap to flat - down doesn't look outlandish but it does look like an advanced feature. If I were still riding I would hit it but it would be one of those things you check out once or twice, then you take a run at it pararell to the box to see if you got far enough before you take a run at it. Once you get the speed down its probably not bad at all. Or you could just take the bomb it fast approach and gap to the down but doesn't really look too bad. To me it looks like the best park Camelback has ever done - but still the worst in the Poconos. Thats saying a lot about the other mountains more than anything about Camelback because there was a time when the park Camelback has now would have us all raving. Too bad that time has passed and the bar is raising every year. I do think its moving in the right direction with the newer jibs and the park pass, thats a big step forward. Now it is a question of setups which is partly personal preference and partly standardized so if they rebuild it we'll see again. At least the improvement is there and I'm sure it would be fun for a handful of runs during the day, I just don't think anyone is going to go to Camelback for the park unless they are really local and don't want to drive. I couldn't really imagine being a park rider in that area and not jumping on 80 and going to JFBB or Shawnee over Camelback (its like 15 minutes to each one) so I don't think they want to try and compete for that market anyway.

the best thing rhodo has to offer i thought was the flat down rail.. it is set up soo high so it scares alot of ppl but it is so much fun it was the only reason i was going into rhodo..

im not defending their park what so ever.. i hated it completely other then the flat down.. but for being such an "advanced" park and needing a park pass to get in.. here is a shot of the one jump

daily_hi_5.jpg

and to be honest, the jumps in Boulder's Freedom park are soo much better then Rhodos

Edited by brtndominant

Will somebody take some pics of some "good" jumps and jib setups so I can take them to the powers that be. Maybe I can help move things along a little. Clearly we wont be able to please everyone, but, I will try to get pics to the right peeps.

haha thats an easy one.. go to www.bigboulderpark.com and look at their pics and vids

I was thinking more along the lines of MC, Stratton, K, and Winter Park.

Maybe on my trip to Park City I'll take some shots out there of stuff and send them to 911

My understanding is anything sick MC had going for it BB does as well. I'm not sure if MC fell off totally, but what I'm hearing is that most of the MC park riding scene moved to BB... that says something.

I don't know anything about what Stratton, K, Winter Park or Park City has going on in terms of parks, but I do know that CB doesn't have the same type of vert to work with as they do. Drop ins, and outruns are important and setting up features that need tons of space just doen't work for this area and particularly CB's park trails.

As PapaSteeze pointed out to me before the really good park designers not only understand HOW to build features they also know WHERE to build.

... I'll try to find some pictures and point some things out.

WOW!! CB............... nobody wants a park pass to a park that sucks. Get a frickin clue!

I will try to get some pictures to post of just how lame some of the set ups are. What a shame. WHO the hell manages that park and the setups? Park crew says it is the groomers who do set the lips and landings and that they are not allowed to touch anything.

God....... are you guys really this inept? Every single person that I ran up with that was in that park was disappointed.. every one! 5 of them to be exact. What an expensive farce. Next time you want to piss away money like that, throw some this way.

Please get a clue.

actually i want a park pass to a park that sucks. if you there everyday and have to deal with tons of kids on laurel its nice to go somewhere else where theres less people. why are you always hating on camelback? you dont even ride at cb anymore and your constantly hating on it.

hahah killing him there kylel

but i hate cb just for the fact that the owners are gay and any mountain with patrol people that fuck you over suck.

had my season pass punched my 2nd day riding at cb this winter. ive gone a grand total of 3 times. next time i get stopped whoever stops me is getting laid out and im ganna do what i do like a champ , runnnnnnnnnnnnn .

Edited by poop

The consensus from park riders I talk to: "Its a good but needs more"

uh... thats funny...... cause every park rat I have rode with on the lift this weekend at CB said if they had a choice they would not be there.

Maybe it is an ability thing.

Look me up and ride with my kid - or better yet, the next time we ride CB in the morning and BB in the afternoon I will buy your lift ticket and give you transportation from CB to BB and back. What works for you next weekend?

the jumps in Boulder's Freedom park are soo much better then Rhodos

In other words, The jumps in the beginner park at BB are better than the Jumps in the expert park in Rhodo.

why are you always hating on camelback? you dont even ride at cb anymore and your constantly hating on it.

Because, All of last year I was told to wait for this year, and now this year is here and it is painfully apparent that CB does not know how or does not care about the quality of thier park features in comparison to other hills. I ride at CB when I have to - I was there both Saturday -1/2 day and Sunday - all day. I would be there more frequently if they had done what they had me believe that they were going to do.

daily_hi_5.jpg

This picture alone and the fact that is posted on thier website tells me that they are clueless.

Edited by Papasteeze

Papa,

i think it is interesting to look at this from a slightly different point of view.

You have nothing good to say about CB, yet spent Saturday and Sunday there. You think JFBB is better, but didn't bother to drive there this past weekend.

From a purely business point of view, it would seem that targeting you as a customer is a bit of a waste of time, as the mountain you seem to hate still gets your business and the mountain you love apparently wasn't worth the effort this past weekend so didn't get your business.

Papa,

i think it is interesting to look at this from a slightly different point of view.

You have nothing good to say about CB, yet spent Saturday and Sunday there. You think JFBB is better, but didn't bother to drive there this past weekend.

From a purely business point of view, it would seem that targeting you as a customer is a bit of a waste of time, as the mountain you seem to hate still gets your business and the mountain you love apparently wasn't worth the effort this past weekend so didn't get your business.

He brought a house at CB and is too lazy to get up early to go to another mountain. No we have to hear him cry about everything that isn't 100% perfect at CB.

Tom I'm sure you know thats not the case. If I had to bet Papa dropped off his son at JFBB and then drove back to Camelback for the race program with his daughter and stayed there because I believe his daughter is younger. That sounds like being responsible versus being too lazy to drive the extra 15 minutes.

As for the jumps 2 pictures for you in comparison to what is up there.

This first is from Mammoth: (Daily photo last year)

daily20041103214sz9.jpg

This one is from Mountain Creek: (Snowboard.com origin - don't know the rider/photo sorry guys)

25749jd0.jpg

This one is from Bear Mountain (Daily photo last year)

w514cd9.jpg

This one is from Whistler (Daily photo last year)

jm2by3.jpg

If you notice 1) 3 out of the 4 are Daily Photos so it makes them nice to compare to the camelback daily photo

2) They are all small/medium sized tabletop jumps (except for the last one) which is what the one at Camelback is going for I think

3) All the riders shown are actually in proper form and are going to actually make the landing - unlike the Camelback one

4) All the landings are steep this is very evident on Mammoth picture. The optimal angle on a landing is something like 33 degrees, I was trying to find the ISSA guide to it but I couldn't find the document anymore, oh well.

5) All the ramps are curved/launch you on a higher trajectory than the one in the picture. Its hard for me to say having not hit the jump in question, but based on that picture either the ramp is too flat or the girl is going too slow, or both.

So bottom line, a steeper landing and a steeper ramp. I have always though Camelback's jumps in the past have had a soft knuckle with a flat/short landing. That basically comes from trying to stretch a pile of snow too far and the trail isn't all that steep. So make the jump shorter, higher, steeper and longer landing, and you will end up with a jump with more pop and less distance.

For reference the Mountain Creek jump in question is in the non-park pass beginner park - and it looks like it throws you a lot higher than the one in Rhodo. I hit that jump often and it is intimidating enough to beginners that it probably should be in the more advanced park. That picture is like 3 years ago - now they put 2 small ones in Exhibition rather than one big one. Either way I would call that a 20 foot table top jump. The Mammoth one looks like a 20-25 footer, and the bear one might be a 25-30 footer. The Whistler one is much bigger 40+.

Another note - you'll notice Mammoth & Bear have the ramp the full width of the jump, Whistler and Creek have it partial width. Partial allows you to bail, full gives you more places to launch from if it gets beat up but no way to bail if you decide to at the last minute. It kind of depends on the trail but if there is a way AROUND the table I like the nearly full width ramp. The Creek one it would be dangerous with a full ramp because if you were on the left and wanted to bail - its woods.

Edited by Method9455

I have a lot of good things to say about CB - you just haven't read them.

Not that I have to explain myself, but I will, my one son races on the CAT team and we had cousins and sister inlaw for thier first ski trip (CB is wonderful for them) so I made some turns saturday morning when I dropped them off and then spent the remainder of the day till 7 pm with my other kid at BB - On Sunday there was a large race that has the CAT team parents obligated to help run and my kid was also racing so that put at is at CB for the day.

MY biggest gripe is the poor quality of the park features. Understand that my invovlement with the park scene was the same last year as it is this year and if there had not been so many representations from so many CB people, I would not be this vocal.

The sad thing is that numerous long term patrons warned me not to believe it last year and they were right. The CB employees were and continue to be wrong about most things park this year.

I mean consider this; The CMS/CBh2O wants parents to pay for coaches to travel to comps with thier kids. hahahahahaha after paying for them to learn and train on CB features, they are going to go to a comp at another mountain prepared? hahhhahahahaaaa That park is a huge diservice to the freestyle coaches and the training school.

He brought a house at CB and is too lazy to get up early to go to another mountain.

Thats funny because obviously you don't know me. I haven't entered all the stats but here is this seasons visits entered so far.

Wachusett 2

Steamboat Springs 5

Camelback, PA 2

Big Boulder, PA 11

Jack Frost, PA 1

Okemo Mountain Resort, VT 1

STOWE,VT 1

This is the middle or top jump at BB - there are picture from the beginner park that I will have to dig up when I have more time that show. I don't think anyone would argue that if the beginner park at BB was the pass only park at CB - then CB would have a sick park scene and there would be few complaints. You can pull sevens on the jumps in the beginner park at CB - nips told me no way could he or would he try to huck anything other than a three at CB - because you can't.

29.jpg