How is Blue Knob?

askier87

Hopefully someone reads this an replys back in less than a week :blink:

Anyway, I was thinking about making a trip over there.

What is the place like? Hows the quality of trails/snow? Hows the terrain, compared to the "poconos"? I am a fairly good skier and hope there are some good runs there. I saw some pictures from a thread someone made last year, and it looks kind of sweet. I could care less about the 3rd world lodge, as long as people are friendly and its a good time...thats all im looking for.

How far is it from the Philadelphia area?

Hey there! It is def worth a trip out here, especially if you make it here when they get some natural snow which we are supposed to be getting around a foot tonight. The terrain I would say is the best in PA. I am from the Philly area and have skied all the eastern PA mountains and this mountain tops it. It would easily be the best mountain in PA if it had just one high speed lift. Thats the only problem I have with it. Other than that you cant beat it. It doesn't matter what time you get there, it hardly ever gets crowded. Most of the people there are locals and they are very friendly. I personally don't see any problem with the lodge besides the size of it, but I also don't spend time there.

I agree with n0xidee's report. I consider Blue Knob to offer the most difficult terrain in the state, but that's why I love it. The lifts are crazy-slow and the lodge is really campy (and its at the top of the Mtn.). You might want to check out my photos from last year:

http://www.pbase.com/macpurity/bk_0506

I am skiing there over the next four days (Tues thru Friday) and I will be giving ski-day reports, complete with photos. So check back this week for the latest info.

Appreciate the feedback guys :)

Anyway, yeah if I made the trip it would most likely be around the last weekend of February. I saw those pictures and it looks quite interesting/challenging. As long as I can get one of my buddies to go with me I'll probably make the trip. Ill let you guys know if I end up doing so or not.

I like the Best Western in Bedford. Easy access to I-99, get off at Osterburg exit, up to Pavia and though the State Park. 30 minutes, maybe. Less than $60 per night, good restaurants near-by and internet access.

Edited by volklyokel

umm..... if its a 4 hour drive to blue knob, why not drive 5 hours from philly to mount snow or stratton????
I can't answer that question since I've never skied either of those places. But that's fine with me if you'd rather head north, than west. Blue Knob is Central PA's best kept secret. And I don't mind it staying empty. Its one of the most challenging place to ski on the East Coast, short of Mad River Glen. If you can ski good here, you can ski anywhere! Head down Blue Knob's Extrovert or run the glades and then you'll have the answer to your question. Check it out.

if your into park, mount snow is the best on the east coast.

but i dont know about "best terrain in the east" there are alot of places that i think are better. whatever floats your boat i guess.

im sure the knob is great, but whats the snowfall and vert there? also steepest pitch, etc. if you know anything could you please post?

im sure the knob is great, but whats the snowfall and vert there? also steepest pitch, etc. if you know anything could you please post?

The park may be the worst park in the United States. The verticle is 800-1000. The snowfall is fantastic. They get atleast two of these 1 foot overnight dumps a year and get some natural snow every week. I have skied pretty much every PA ski area and besides White Lightning, I would consider Extrovert the only other real double black. It is one of the steepest if not the steepest run in PA. Deer Run's pitch is on the same level as Challange or Razor's Edge. Plus there are no other glades trails like these in all of PA.

soo........ blue knob is like bellayre?

I dunno I have never been there. But don't knock it cause you have never been to Blue Knob. If you don't want to make the drive out here, fine, go to vermont or new york. Why don't I just go in your camelback forum and be like, so why would I make the 5.5 hour drive when I could just go to New York's Holiday Valley? Its the same thing.

I dunno I have never been there. But don't knock it cause you have never been to Blue Knob. If you don't want to make the drive out here, fine, go to vermont or new york. Why don't I just go in your camelback forum and be like, so why would I make the 5.5 hour drive when I could just go to New York's Holiday Valley? Its the same thing.

i probably wouldnt say to come to camelback cuz it sucks.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd definatly reccomend it as well.

I dunno if anyones mentioned it but Its prolly the only place in PA with a true bowl. It's also got a sweet canyon'ish run. Not to mention the glades, most of which have some fun rock ledges to drop off, nothing huge but just adding to the fun. All of this I doubt many other PA mtn's have, making it one fun mountain. It's definately the most challening PA mountain i've been to as far as natural terrain goes, and I've been to alot of central and eastern mtns with college at york and living near philli. It's worth at least one trip, Hit up roundtop or liberty as well while your other there to get the central PA vibe.

Never been to the place but Ski Denton apparently has some really challenging terrain. It's way out in north central PA though.

There really aren't many places in PA with good straight up natural terrain to ride. This place takes the cake though since I think Denton is much smaller.

Edited by Rowsdower

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All i can say is that before i got my lisence and could drive to springs i had to go with my school to blueknob.

I must say that blue knob is the worst mountain i have ever ridden in my life. Snowblowers are always on and they barley have what i guess you could call a park.

Never go there

Ride at springs its the tightest mountain in the area and its relativly affordable for a season pass $300 if you buy before late july