Wednesday February 21

SkiCamelback

Wednesday February 21

It's mid-week and the holiday crowd has thinned out. Today all slopes will be open including both parks and pipes. The conditions are starting machine-groomed with a combination of packed and wet packed powder, and probably turning a little granular as the temps go up. Forcast is calling for sun and 40's by mid day --- All for the makings of a great day to ski and ride.

Thanks to all that gave "inside information" on yesterdays report. I learned a few new tips myself!

If you get out today -- please add to the thread your own conditions report. If you can't get out-- post why your not here? Work, school, leaving for Snowbird, Utah on Thursday.... :) ???

Catch you on the slopes!!

If you can't get out-- post why your not here?

This is my schedule for the remainder of the year.

Feb 23-25 Waterville NH - Salomon Jib Academy

March 1-5 - Killington VT- NextSnow Finals

March 7-11 - Tahoe - Jeep Terrain Park Finals.

March 17 - 18 - Somewhere with Ridge Racing or BB

March 21-25 - Stratton - Vemont Freeskiing Open

April 4-10 - Park City Utah - Free Riding!

April 14 -15 - Big Boulder because CB won't be open

Wednesday February 21

Catch you on the slopes!!

You calling me out ???

Okay, tomorrow, 10AM, Cliffy. Let's let those Bandits run !! Be there.

:yes:yes

Edited by Margaritaville Skier

first hand report from the slopes this morning:

Can only comment on the east side, didn't have too much time today and the conditions weren't exactly encouraging.

frozen cord' everywhere, with lots of pebbles and ridges.

Not bad considering the fact we had some rain and a below freezing night. I'm sure it will be better once it softens up a bit.

Cliffy was pretty bad, with real ice showing through in the middle of the headwall, everywhere else was just frozen groomed granular.

Pharaoh was the better run on that side, with some nice surface still on the turn and down the drop to bactrian.

Nile, raceway etc were all much of the same, wait a while till it melts a bit and it'll be better.

I'll be back up tonight.

Thanks Timeless for the first hand account!! Conditions were a little mixed this morning between packed pow, frozen cord and loose granular.

I just got in from making a few runs (11:45 am) -- The sun is out softening the snow. It's a little of everything right now - loose granular, packed pow and patches of "fast" snow. By early afternoon -- it's going to be soft where there has been traffic.

The parks and pipes -- a little hard right now, but with traffic and sun, should soften up for the evening. Crowds are light -- :45 sec wait on most lifts.

In all -- it's a great day to be outside in the sun and snow!!

This is my schedule for the remainder of the year.

April 14 -15 - Big Boulder because CB won't be open

Do you believe that? If someone is open in April I will be there every fucking day. I can ride again around March 30th although I should probably go to a doctor and get checked out before I do and skip on the terrain park - but still I don't remember anyone in our area ever being open in April.

Do you believe that? If someone is open in April I will be there every fucking day. I can ride again around March 30th although I should probably go to a doctor and get checked out before I do and skip on the terrain park - but still I don't remember anyone in our area ever being open in April.

I believe what I was told - I will believe it even more when it actually happens..

Stop saying conditions are packed powder...it got above freezing...that means packed powder conditions are over unless it snows more or there's new snow..frozen granuler turning into wet granuler is what you should say to be honest..

If it's icy, say it...not fast..not slick..not hard..icy

Steezewich, to be fair to SkiCB there was stiil a reasonable amount of what could be consider packed powder (or very fine frozen granular) on quite a few of the trails this evening, along with some hardpack (slick and fast but not really ice) and some genuine ice spots showing through, notably on Cliffy, Raceway and Asp. Cliffy was freakin 'orrible tonight and so was big pocono, frozen solid and clumpy (bet they never use that description in the official reports). Raceway and Pharaoh were quite nice, tut's and nile were very good.

Tonight was actually really enjoyable after 6, when the rest of the people disappeared, I had a couple of friends come up from work that don't ski CB very often and they both loved it despite the "mixed" conditions.

I was there tonight. IMO Conditions were horrible. Not sure if they were like that all day. Rhodo was one HUGE sheet of ice and you couldnt really do anyyytthing. Laurel was alright but the boxes were sticky. Big pipe was a messs and super choppy. I also rode a few other trails, They were alright but still not the best. Yesterday was one of the best days of the sesaon for me. Conditions were excellent.

I was there tonight. IMO Conditions were horrible. Not sure if they were like that all day. Rhodo was one HUGE sheet of ice and you couldnt really do anyyytthing. Laurel was alright but the boxes were sticky. Big pipe was a messs and super choppy. I also rode a few other trails, They were alright but still not the best. Yesterday was one of the best days of the sesaon for me. Conditions were excellent.

There was definitely a changeover in conditions yesterday compared to the day before, moving from the continued cold to the thaw-freeze cycle of warmer days but still below freezing nights. Yesterday in particular suffered from some light rain during the previous evening which didn't help but conditions are likely to stay pretty much like this for a couple of weeks until it stops freezing at all and it all turns to slush for a week or two before they close.

Some serious grooming might help soften it up by making more surface "granular", any comments from the CB snow people?

I can understand that the conditions last night were very bad for riding park, especially as Rhodo is essentially going to be the same as raceway from an exposure perspective, landings on jumps must have been really nasty.

• 2 weeks later...
I warned you already, now you're on timeout.

Like I'm surprised. Welcome to PASR. Come to the Camelback forum and say anything negative you want about Camelback and you are applauded.

I'm sure if I was going into Blue or JF/BB forums and taking up all the threads with nonsensical crap like bogus marketing it would be a different story.

Way to run a board!

Like I'm surprised. Welcome to PASR. Come to the Camelback forum and say anything negative you want about Camelback and you are applauded.

I'm sure if I was going into Blue or JF/BB forums and taking up all the threads with nonsensical crap like bogus marketing it would be a different story.

Way to run a board!

It has nothing to do with your opinion on CB. It has everything to do with attacking other members. YOU are the one who is not accepting of other opinions on the board. YOU are the one who would silence those who have negative things (or as the case may be, repeatedly negative things) to say about CB.

Way to run a board!

BULLSHIT ON THAT.

I personally resent that because if you look back this year - the loudest/fiercest bitching was in the JF/BB forum of any when they fired the ParkLogic guys, instead of just Papa bitching hardcore and a few agreeing it was a bunch of people freaking out, a petition, several threads where everyone agreed - that was a hell of a lot more harsh than anything here so. Look around a bit before you start to distort things.

Nope, no one EVER complains about any other mountains. Only poor defenseless camelback. Also note the response was so fierce from the board there are no longer any mountain reps from JFBB - where in the past we had a few. Not only that but paskiandride.com is no longer linked from the JFBB website. Yep, the only bitching comes from the Camelback forum.

It has nothing to do with your opinion on CB. It has everything to do with attacking other members. YOU are the one who is not accepting of other opinions on the board. YOU are the one who would silence those who have negative things (or as the case may be, repeatedly negative things) to say about CB.

I have no issue with people just plain complaining. It's the people who obvioulsy hate CB and have nothing better to do than continuously have to hijack the forum with their rants.

Then when people who like the hill have issue with that it is dismissed blindly. Way to be fair. There are a lot of people who are not employees or volunteers or have no official position with CB that like the place. They are attacked for defending it from the haters. That's all that goes on here.

You want to know why you have such a hard time finding mountain reps or even keeping on the ones you do have?? It's because there are a few entitled weiners here that think that because they can put up a message board they are instant experts in the ski industry. All you people do is throw negative crap at ski areas because your special needs aren't met.

I have no issue with people just plain complaining. It's the people who obvioulsy hate CB and have nothing better to do than continuously have to hijack the forum with their rants.

Then when people who like the hill have issue with that it is dismissed blindly. Way to be fair. There are a lot of people who are not employees or volunteers or have no official position with CB that like the place. They are attacked for defending it from the haters. That's all that goes on here.

You want to know why you have such a hard time finding mountain reps or even keeping on the ones you do have?? It's because there are a few entitled weiners here that think that because they can put up a message board they are instant experts in the ski industry. All you people do is throw negative crap at ski areas because your special needs aren't met.

Actually, our biggest problem with reps is that we didn't have a big enough pull for any of them to find us "worth while." Those days have passed, and they come to us.

I totally agree on liking Camelback, it was the only place I went with my dad/brother for the last 4 years out of the poconos - even though I had a free season pass elsewhere. It has the best real skiing near me, and I've always found their snow quality to be very good. Lift lines are generally acceptable even on the weekends. However I would never cross the line from weekend trip with my dad to season pass holder because of all their issues - which is my main complaint. Would I rather have a season pass to Camelback than buying one to JFBB (which is further away, and only good for park) and one to Blue (which is further away and only good for freeriding) of course. And thats why I complain so loudly, becuase it would be so much more advantageous to combine the mountain I ride park at, the mountain I ride with my friends at, and the mountain I ride with my family at. Its not "hating" Camelback, I really don't even have any ill will towards their management. I don't like all of their decisions but they're hardly evil people. I think the WORST management is at Mountain Creek - that place is rediculous. People are complaining that Camelback closes 1 lift some days - Mountain Creek only opened 1/2 of the mountain for 6 weeks this season - and only half days at that. They are closing south/bear this weekend, and they opened last week of January I believe.

As for reps - generally it is a personal thing. Mountain Creek it goes on and off (even though they have their own internet forum) based on who is working. Generally it is the park crew that posts on there now and then, depending on how busy they are. But what forum does - go to teton gravity or epic ski - much bigger boards and they don't have reps. I don't think their is a healthier region specific board than here. The only one that came close was the Mountain Creek one before snowboard.com crashed for 4 months and the community dispersed.