nipples

Papasteeze

Back from fantastic conditions at Killington for the NextSnow 13 and under national comp. Nips skied his best had some epic wipeouts but over all did really well. The format changed due to 18 inches of snow on opening day. Judging turned out to be a bit wack. Nips qualified for bye into the finals by winning at Stowe early January however the weather changed all that. some how he was timed 6th fastest overall in a GS race but judged 40th out of 60 in carving skills. huh?........ beat............. oh well... a solid technical slopestyle run and 5's and 7's out of the 18' pipe wasn't good enough to be named to the "team"

Off to tahoe next........

Jeep Terrain Park Challenge

The National Championships for the Jeep Terrain Park Challenge land at Sugar Bowl this Friday & Saturday, March 9 & 10. The Join us for the kick off party Friday night at the Village Lodge. Fireworks, a torchlight parade and live music by the Truckee Tribe all begin at 6pm in the Village. Final round takes place on Saturday in the Mt Judah Terrain Park. Check out the series at Jeep Terrain Park Challenge

Back from fantastic conditions at Killington for the NextSnow 13 and under national comp. Nips skied his best had some epic wipeouts but over all did really well. The format changed due to 18 inches of snow on opening day. Judging turned out to be a bit wack. Nips qualified for bye into the finals by winning at Stowe early January however the weather changed all that. some how he was timed 6th fastest overall in a GS race but judged 40th out of 60 in carving skills. huh?........ beat............. oh well... a solid technical slopestyle run and 5's and 7's out of the 18' pipe wasn't good enough to be named to the "team"

Off to tahoe next........

Tell Nipples I said Congrats. So how well did he place? 6th? Still good though. Good luck at Tahoe.

Was the little 9 yr. old, Colby, really that good, or was he getting credit for being so young? There's such a huge physical difference between a fourth grader and a high school freshman.

wow!! where are you getting the news? yeah the comp is judged using age in consideration (so they say) however colby is a sick skier from the Canyons Utah, he deserves all the recognition he gets.

I think I remember a cork 9 in the big air finals at night. nips best was switch seven in the qualifier.

Edit: high school freshman? the cut off is at 13 years old. nips is in 7th grade. the all stars is a result of the team being invited to next 2 years comp. so yeah, there are 15 yr olds at that. we went to that in steamboat. but the comp we just got back from is killington event.

Edited by Papasteeze

I just noticed a bunch of 14 byr old's on the results page, then this 9 yr old stuck in there toward the top. I understand what SI is doing, but was curious if he could really hold his own and was doing the same tricks but with less amplitude.

I just noticed a bunch of 14 byr old's on the results page, then this 9 yr old stuck in there toward the top. I understand what SI is doing, but was curious if he could really hold his own and was doing the same tricks but with less amplitude.

Colby definitly deserves the appointment to the top 25 team

I ski at sugarbowl, maybe I will see you there ... I have a race during those dates at boreal but i will be staying at the acad so i might see you

very cool - make the effort if you can, it looks like it is going to be set up with a lot of hoopla!! let kyle and Justin know nips is going to be there also. we need someone to ride with sunday and monday..

Bump....

I may have my (major) disagreements with Rob, but anyone that rips into either of his kids abilities is simply jealous. As to the Nextsnow comp, it's one of th reasons I've always liked racing: no judges, just a clock. With such a wide range of catagories, I'm sure they do a pretty good job, but it's still qualitative...

I encourage anyone young to participate in the NextSnow comps. It is a unique event and if you get the chance to go to the finals, you will get a real taste of what the promotional side of freestyle skiing is like. I think the best all around kids made the "team" Sure there were some that were more skilled or more personable or whatever, but I think it is really good program to participate and try to win at. Pocono kids will be at a disadvantage in the pipe and big mountain, but can excel in the other categories to make up the difference.

The best part has been the number of friends that nips (steven) has made that are like minded are probably going to be life long friends in that they all share the same common interest. Anywhere he goes now he runs into kids that he has met from this comp. good stuff.

congrats to nipples! even if he didnt win he still made it to the finals which is saying something. heh, he wins almost everything anyway so it really dosnt matter.

i didnt have much luck with nextxsnow..... i only had the chance to go to one which was shawnee. i thought i did pretty well, but i guess not good enough.

the snowboarder that won was sticking like, 3's and 5's like i was, but he was throwing like 450 ons onto everything it was crazy. haha, i went for a 450 on onto the urban down rail, didnt go too well.... got the 270 though! :)

oh well, maybe next year ill be competing with nips in the finals :) but if i am, ill lose <_<

Edited by splooshie

oh well, maybe next year ill be competing with nips in the finals :) but if i am, ill lose <_<

You will be on your own, nips will be to old to enter next year. Run around to all the different qualifiers until you make it. You won't regret going to the finals no matter how you place.

You will be on your own, nips will be to old to enter next year. Run around to all the different qualifiers until you make it. You won't regret going to the finals no matter how you place.

thanks for the advice! ill be going to at least 5 nextxsnow qualifiers next year and they are:

JFBB

Shawnee

Ski Liberty

Bellayre

Ski Roundtop

hopefully my skills will be improved by then and i will make it :)

thanks for the advice! ill be going to at least 5 nextxsnow qualifiers next year and they are:

JFBB

Shawnee

Ski Liberty

Bellayre

Ski Roundtop

hopefully my skills will be improved by then and i will make it :)

There is also Whitetail, Wisp, Holiday Valley, Hunter, Windham and Mountain Creek. CB might even join the Snowmonster program next year.

I would stay away from the MC one, that comp seems to be predetermined and the entrant always finishes near to last at the Nationals. Throwing sevens should win a local qualifier in our area. Once you got that, get some racing and mogul skills, that will help you a lot to score better at the nationals.

yea ill be with kyle and justin all weekend I will be sure to have them tag along

sunday and monday are open for freeskiing. there are some night activities Friday and saturday night related to the comp. Nips would be stoked to see you guys! Hope you can make it.

Tell Nipples I said Congrats. So how well did he place? 6th? Still good though. Good luck at Tahoe.

6th in Racing and 5th in slopestyle were his best finishes. looks like about 15th in pipe and 23rd in big air. they only got 3 hits in big air, he went 5, cork 7, switch 7 to death.

6th in Racing and 5th in slopestyle were his best finishes. looks like about 15th in pipe and 23rd in big air. they only got 3 hits in big air, he went 5, cork 7, switch 7 to death.

if i qualify next year ill probly get 10000th in pipe.... i suck so bad.....

oh and, how big is the big air jump there? 50ft? just asking

Edited by splooshie

if i qualify next year ill probly get 10000th in pipe.... i suck so bad.....

oh and, how big is the big air jump there? 50ft? just asking

The big air was only 38' but it was built as a kicker with a very steep landing. I'll post pics when I get some more time The boulder jump at the bottom of boulder trail is similar.

it's one of th reasons I've always liked racing: no judges, just a clock. With such a wide range of catagories, I'm sure they do a pretty good job, but it's still qualitative...

Most judging clinics are open to anyone that wants to attend. Have you ever talked to a judge after the event to help you understand why your score was what it was? The judges are almost always available. When I competed I couldn't afford a coach. After every event I used to spend time with the judges, not to complain but to ask them to help me understand what I could do to get a better score. I learned things like why certain tricks, even though tougher, may not get as great a score at the top of the run versus the bottom, exactly what they are looking for with each trick etc. It helped me get to the level that I wanted.

I'm not saying that judges don't make mistakes. Heck, they may be watching up to 170 scoring runs per day, plus hopefully some forerunners and practice runs. Just saying that it may be more quantitative than what some folks may think.

Most judging clinics are open to anyone that wants to attend. Have you ever talked to a judge after the event to help you understand why your score was what it was? The judges are almost always available. When I competed I couldn't afford a coach. After every event I used to spend time with the judges, not to complain but to ask them to help me understand what I could do to get a better score. I learned things like why certain tricks, even though tougher, may not get as great a score at the top of the run versus the bottom, exactly what they are looking for with each trick etc. It helped me get to the level that I wanted.

I'm not saying that judges don't make mistakes. Heck, they may be watching up to 170 scoring runs per day, plus hopefully some forerunners and practice runs. Just saying that it may be more quantitative than what some folks may think.

ski races, he doesn't do park and pipe, although if he were younger, he might do it.

My daughter used to do gymnastics and it's a similar situation, with certain tricks earning certain points, etc. However as a parent at innumerable events, I can tell you that some judges CONCENTRATE on style, some on crowd appeal, some solely on technical aspects, etc. Major events, therefore, had multiple judges for each routine. Most of the time they gave similar scores, but I have seen some incredible gaps. These gaps would NOT occur if they were all watching for the same thing. Both sports have intricate manuevers performed in an eyeblink. The ability for the brain to process everything that happens in such a short timeframe is limited. Unless the trick is performed and then everyone is sitting around a replay in slo-mo (which I don't think is standard practice), then there is always going to be the subjective element going on.

sib makes a good point in relation to the newschool freestyle judging. At the NextSnow event they had 7 judges and threw out the high and lows and averaged the 5 remaining scores, since the kids were judged in many categories, the standouts did make it to the top.

It makes it even more difficult with snowboarders judging skiing and visa versa. There is no set standard for difficulty in trick scoring. does a switch 7 beat a rodeo 5, does a tweaked out tail grab beat a double nose grab?

I hope that standardization never happens with freestyle comps otherwise it will end up acrobatic aerials. I think the current styles of judging is ok - you just have to learn to take the good with the bad.

Most judging clinics are open to anyone that wants to attend.

when and where?

ski races, he doesn't do park and pipe, although if he were younger, he might do it.

Ha, no he wouldn't :no

My favorite judging scandal was that French figure skating judge....any judging has a built in degree of error, even at the highest level. I've seen Olympic and World Cup level mogul comps destroyed by poor judging. You just have to go into it doing your best and hoping it's judged fairly...and not worrying about the judges.

And Rob's right that it would simply turn into what's now the current aerials...baggy clothes will go for judges to be able to better see the rotations. I bet that's where it'll be in a few years no matter what, though. Judges will score a 1440 higher than a 1080 and all the jibbers will hit the stores where Eric Bergoust shops :D :

skrbergoust.jpg

Congrats Nipples...I guess this will be his second TV appearance right??? Nipples are you out there..you should post on here..and tell Rige to also post...

THis event Was HUGE!!!!! nips held his own and scored 19.0 in his best run for fourth and third place scored 19.1 - we are still out here and having a great time! Good stuff! Tune into ABC on the 31st at 5 pm philly time.