Waxing for Spring Conditions

sibhusky

I need help with waxing for the Spring conditions we are having. The temperature drops to below freezing at night (tonight it will be 19 degrees). The "corduroy" in the AM is the rock hard stuff that makes your fillings vibrate and takes off all my wax in the first 50 feet. No problem really until the snow starts to soften. By 2:30 or so, the snow is DRAAAGGGGINNNG against me the whole way down the hill. Skiing the trail edges produces the old start/stop stuff that really is irritating. Some skiers carry paraffin with them and stop every two runs to crayon it on, but that's a pain in the neck.

Last year I attempted to put on layers to deal with all the conditions, playing with three layers applied individually or blended altogether -- Dr. D's red hydro, some universal molybdenum stuff, and Dr. D's yellow hydro (not currently showing on the site for some reason). Some days it would seem like it was working, but it may have just been the right temps all day. I was waxing every night and had only limited success. I even got to the point of bring out two pairs of skis so I'd have fresh wax when things started getting sticky, but it'd be off after one shady trail.

I've even had my bases freshly stone ground and restructured, which seemed to help a bit, but not totally. I'm waxing every night with just the Dr. D yellow right now, but by the end of the day the bases have the gray haze of no wax.

I need something that'll last through the scratchy AM conditions so it can function in the sticky PM conditions. We're talking 20 degree mornings followed by 40 or 50 degree afternoons. Anyone have any answers?

http://store.aumauto.com/rainxultrawax.html

Good luck trying to get this off of your ski's.You'll be flying past everyone in spring conditions and have them wondering wtf kinda wax you got on them.This stuff used to be called Blue Coral Autofom until Rain-X bought them out and improved the formula.If your kind to the car you can get this stuff to last a few good months on it.It beads and protects like no other.

I have a new universal all temp wax that can handle this.

Keep in mind that the suction effect of excess water is slowing you in the warm temps. In this case you need the base structure to be free of wax to let the water be moved away. So, scraping and brushing and open structure are at least as important as the wax.

The yellow hydro was something I only made for the Will Ferrell movie; I don't sell it because the red is just as good.

Believe me, by day's end, I can FEEL the structure with my fingers, there's no wax in it. And this is in spite of the fact that I just iron the wax on, I don't scrape. I was running my fingers over the base of the ski this afternoon in the locker room and I could feel where there was this drag on the base. Right under the foot close to the edges especially. The structure is definitely well scraped out by the ice crystals of the first run. I'll try your all temp wax and maybe ask for some of that $3 stuff as well. Order coming shortly.

Is this the right link to the wax you mean?

Edited by sibhusky

Believe me, by day's end, I can FEEL the structure with my fingers, there's no wax in it. And this is in spite of the fact that I just iron the wax on, I don't scrape. I was running my fingers over the base of the ski this afternoon in the locker room and I could feel where there was this drag on the base. Right under the foot close to the edges especially. The structure is definitely well scraped out by the ice crystals of the first run. I'll try your all temp wax and maybe ask for some of that $3 stuff as well. Order coming shortly.

Is this the right link to the wax you mean?

Last year I used to wax weekly, this year with uni hydro and uni fluoro, I found it was much more durable and go longer between waxings. You will need to scrape/brush all the hydro off before adding the fluoro otherwise none of it will be in the base.

Edited by RACEWAXdotCOM

Last year I used to wax weekly, this year with uni hydro and uni fluoro, I found it was much more durable and go longer between waxings. You will need to scrape/brush all the hydro off before adding the fluoro otherwise none of it will be in the base.

So this universal is a fluro wax?

If you had to guess, how much vertical are you getting between waxings? One person's "day" is not necessarily another's. My boss at work has been out 5 "days", but his accumulated vertical is ONE of my days.

Edited by sibhusky