Closing day report!

xNick11

So my friend calls me at 11 on Saturday and asks me if I want to go to hunter with him cause he had free passes to use for that day,so we leave around 12 and get their around 2.We rode till 5 which was closing time.

The snow was real soft and they still had a ton of snow.But im sorry to say that the park was a big joke.All the jumps had absolutely no lip on them,1st jump was impossible to clear pretty much,2nd jump was clearable if you went like mach 10 into it and the last jumps were probably the best,the left lip was fine from where you had to start but the right lip was just not clearable.They had 1 urban rail setup that was about 5 feet long lol and then 2 little bonks.They did have a half pipe up,the right was was real nice for it being April,but the left wall was dead.They also had a descent sized quarterpipe at the bottom but even that wasn't shaped right,it was uneven half way up it everywhere except in one spot,then these little kids ruined that spot by climbing up it with their snowboards.

Im sorry to say but I was really disappointed with Hunters park.I really hope its not like that during the actual season.

I really wish we made the trip to Bell rather then hunter.

The catskills are actually huge.They can really make hunter a nice resort if they made some slopes on the other peaks.The peak hunter is on is like the smallest.

i believe there were plans in place to make the true summit of hunter mountain as part of the resort. check this out.

http://www.pbase.com/michaeltokyo/hunter_m...in_secret_trail

also, a guy at my local shop was telling me that a hike to the true summit leads to amazing tree runs that always have alot of snow since hunter sits in a bowl.

i believe there were plans in place to make the true summit of hunter mountain as part of the resort. check this out.

http://www.pbase.com/michaeltokyo/hunter_m...in_secret_trail

also, a guy at my local shop was telling me that a hike to the true summit leads to amazing tree runs that always have alot of snow since hunter sits in a bowl.

Me and my friend were on lift with a local and he showed us the "fire tower" which I guess is a lift that runs in the summer over towards the bowl.They should have that running in the winter if they don't so those people who want to really ride BC can do so.

Is there a market for another ski area in the Catskills? I imagine it would be tough to obtain permits to build a ski area on one of the larger Catskill mountains?

there is a market. theres a market for expansion of the current areas also, but theres a law called the forever wild clause that prevents pretty much all development

the area goign to the true summit is very flat

we started hikiing it one day in the summer

it is about 2-3 miles from the resort summit

there is plenty of terrain up past K-27 and to the rihgt of hunter one

the orginal owner is still there

his brother was an owner too but he passed away

he is like 86 and is still involved with everything that goes on

the top of Hunter(Colonels chair mtn) is way closer than 2-3 miles...

There is expansion in the works.. Look for more terrain opening up in the next couple of years... And new chairs...

http://www.powderhound.org/images/HUNTER_PLAN.jpg

the boundry of Hunter is up against the "forever wild" stuff - but the resort isn't to that boundry yet...

DMC

what is with the danger explosives sign on that one trial

it is a green

i was told that the hike to the fire tower was like 2 hrs

u can see the trail where the lift is supposed to go from the road after snowfall

there is room for more trails between hunter one and the bottom of the blue lift/ top of the red lift

Edited by romemadman