Sno Cove

bigdaddyk

Dennis Carlson has been a little crazy with his optimism about getting open. He's learning the hard way that making good on his promise to hire all local construction workers may have it's downside. The original opening date was July 1st, which was cool because Ty's b'day was July 2nd and that's where she wanted her party.

It really sucked that it ended up at Camelbeach.

Anyway, Mr. Carlson then promised July 15th, but they discovered burried electrical wires that needed to be moved to meet code. The local PBS TV station moaned like crazy in the newspaper, saying they had wasted effort and money publicizing a big party they wanted to hold, but was now postponed.

Why any business would make a big investment in holding a function at a water park that wasn't even built yet is a little sketchy in my book. With tons of concrete to pour, some steady rain could have put them way off schedule.

So now it looks like mid-August. The upside is that people will get a taste of what'll be there next summer. I just don't know where they expect to get lifeguards and ticket takers for a couple of weeks, right before school.

The Sno Cove management is Philly based, where, if you have the money, you can get things done in a hurry. Up here, well, just try to get a plumber to return your call...

Why bother..why don't they just wait until next season to have a full season and use that time to put in a high speed quad. It sounds tough to hire a lifeguard for 3 weeks..just my two cents..

I suppose it's part of the overall plan to market Sno as a four season resort. And if you're building a water park and need to run rides to test them, it's probably not too hard to break even. I mean, if you are installing a multi-million dollar wave pool, I guess you'd want to fill it with water, turn on the heaters, and run it through all of the cycles, just to make sure it's been built correctly. So, if you have it up and running, why not sell some tickets?

Just a guess.

And I'm curious to see how committed they are to the new lift, as well as the new trails. They interviewed every employee on the mountain and I can't believe a new lift wasn't the #1 priority to at least 80% of the staff. It's the complaint I hear every day on the lift. I suppose we'll see. Just as long as they don't steal all of Elk's customers and it winds up as crowded as Blue.

.... Just as long as they don't steal all of Elk's customers and it winds up as crowded as Blue.

I don't see that happening, soon. Elk's locals seem to have accepted the slow lifts and actually seem to appreciate the fact that they help to keep the crowds away. You should at least have a couple more years until you have to worry about it becoming as crowded as Blue. I actually liked the fact that I could go to Sno at noon, and have fresh trails to play on.

I don't see that happening, soon. Elk's locals seem to have accepted the slow lifts and actually seem to appreciate the fact that they help to keep the crowds away. You should at least have a couple more years until you have to worry about it becoming as crowded as Blue. I actually liked the fact that I could go to Sno at noon, and have fresh trails to play on.

I was mostly just giving Doug crap, Big. Elk lost a lot of season passes to Montage when they first opened, so a lot of that damage was done years ago. Sno will hurt Elk more, especially after the new quad and two more mile long trails, but Sno will never be as bad as CB or Blue in regard to crowds. We just don't have either the quick access or the skiing/riding population to draw from. Sno can---and eventually will---increase it's visits by 500%, but will still be manageable on busy Saturday afternoons.

I want Sno to be a raging success because the guys that bought it are great people---but it doesn't mean I won't really miss corduroy lasting four or five days.

• 2 weeks later...