the dif about centered bindings and offset

JUVY#7777

:bangheadheyy im new here and ever since i got my skis this question kept bothering me does it make a difference if your bindins are offset for park skiing to because when i see other skiers the have centered bindings and it looks alot easier so anybody that can answers the please

I'm not a skier but I know a little bit about this. I'm sure others will comment as well.

First of all understand that everything has it's pros and cons. The problem with center mounting is it will make "all mountain" sking a pinch more difficult. Not the end of the world though. I've seen guys on center mounted skis makes some pretty good turns, and do some pretty impressive stuff. I'm sure a skier can provide better info on the downsides.

The two reasons to center mount are better rail balance, which should be pretty obvious. The second would be better switch riding. Skis work best with lots of ski in front of you, so when you are switch riding you want to increase the amount of ski behind your heel. Center mountain does that.

I'd say center mount if you ride park/twins, but I'm just a silly snowboarder.

learn to ski in the traditional binding mounting position (manufacturers suggested) and then if you decide that you want to ski more park than freeride.....

Change your binding setting on a set of twin tips to your personal preference for spining, jibbing and skiing switch only after you are proficient with carving and skiing under control.

Chances are that if you think the skiers with thier bindings mounted center looks easier, it is because they are already very skilled and make it look easier. It it was truly easier to ski with your bindings mounted dead center then that is what all the manufacturers would reccomend.

I'd get your skis center mounted no matter what if you have twins, and are doing mostly park skiing. Having your bindings mounted regular (which is offset towards the back) only benefits your turning, since it directs the power from your legs more toward the back of the ski, allowing you to make more powerful turns. However, since your weight is not evenly distributed along the ski, and it's toward the back, it does make it harder to turn IMO, mostly because there is more ski in front of you. That might not make sense but that's how I see it.

All of this is based on my personal preference though. I don't like the way offset mounted skis ride. Probably because I pretty much learned how to ski mostly on center mounted skis. But like I said if you are planning on staying in the park then mount them center. Most twins are sold with the recommended mounting style as centered anyway. I like the way centered mounted skis feel, I'm currently riding 171's (I'm about 5'6") and they feel much shorter than they actually are in terms of turning and general handling, which is a good thing for me. It also makes fakie skiing a breeze, especially with the symmetrical flex and true twin tip pattern of my Invaders.

Edited by Justin

ok where to start...

first, what kind of skis do you have? judging by your username, i'd assume you have juvy's? if thats the case, i'd probably not center mount them just due to the construction of that ski and how thin it gets in front of the recommended binding mounting. k2 skis in general have the recommended mounting point very far back on the ski. my fujatives have the recommended point at 12cm back from true center, and i mounted them at 2cm back from true center, which works out really well for me. i've skied skis that are designed to be mounted true center, like the invaders and head mojos, and they definitely do not ski as well all mountain as my fujatives do. center mounting a ski makes it cut into a turn quicker and easier, but want to hang on to that turn longer and harder, since you have to much tail behind you. like papa said, if you're still learning how to ski, keep the skis mounted where they are. he's right, the people who make riding a center mounted ski look easier are those of us who have been skiing for years and learned how to ski correctly before terrain parks even existed. learning how to ski right will help you in every facet of park riding.