jf 1-10-08

bigdaddyk

Damn I hope this rain stays away for Tomorrow.... I'll be there with my son regardless, but I want him to be able to ski once and not have it rain...

I can only afford to take him every once in a while and WMMR days make it easy for me, unfortunately it ALWAYS F'N rains as does the Customer Appreciation day at JF as well.. He's been skiing like a dozen times in the past three years and only 4 of them were not in the rain... (once was at BB this year in Nov. on one trail with barely any coverage)

Thanks for the report... at least they are kicking butt with taking care of the mountain with this crappy weather we've had this past week...

nice pictures..Rivershot has a really good base..Does it face North?

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge the whole mt. faces north. Plus JF sits down in and is shielded from a lot of direct sunlight. There is a ledge on lightning that always seems to pop out when it gets really warm, but that hasn't even happened. I was going to take a picture of the snow depth near one of the poles, but never got around to it. There is still a good amount of snow. The pics aren't the best, and the snow is actually better than what the pictures show.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Wrong... :banghead:banghead:banghead

a south facing slope in PA would lose so much snow, it wouldn't be cost effective to keep making new snow on it to keep it open

come to colorado and drive I70, and check out the differences in snowpack on the left and right sides of the highway, and notice that every one of the ski areas on the highway is on the southern side (north facing slopes). granted, many ski areas are huge, so they are bound to have some east/west/south facing areas, but they are still primarily north facing. the only exception i know of is bromley in VT which, for some off reason boasts about being south facing, which gives them short seasons and crappy snow conditions...

sidenote: A basin just recently opened a new area on their mountain called montazuma bowl last week for the first time ever. want to know why it took them until the middle of january to open it? it is south facing. It is on the continental divide in colorado at almost 13000 feet, and still didnt hold enough snow to open it until the middle of january

Edited by jordan

sidenote: A basin just recently opened a new area on their mountain called montazuma bowl last week for the first time ever. want to know why it took them until the middle of january to open it? it is south facing. It is on the continental divide in colorado at almost 13000 feet, and still didnt hold enough snow to open it until the middle of january

I don't know about A-Basin but we have North, NorthEast, East facing terrain that opened for the first time and it wasn't becuase of lack of snow. I'm guessing Montazuma bowl is in the same situation, but I haven't been there.

I don't know about A-Basin but we have North, NorthEast, East facing terrain that opened for the first time and it wasn't becuase of lack of snow. I'm guessing Montazuma bowl is in the same situation, but I haven't been there.

the only reason for a ski area to wait until the middle of january to open something is due to lack of snow. Any avalanche risk can be taken care of with charges quite quickly.

Any avalanche risk can be taken care of with charges quite quickly.

A. You are wrong.

B. Even if you weren't wrong you need snow after explosives to actually ride on. No sense letting your entire base slide to the bottom of the hill in a super lame debris field.

Edited by Glenn

A. You are wrong.

B. Even if you weren't wrong you need snow after explosives to actually ride on. No sense letting your entire base slide to the bottom of the hill in a super lame debris field.

throw enough explosives at a slope and it doesn't slide, you can pretty much be sure a skier won't set anything off

throw enough explosives at a slope and it doesn't slide, you can pretty much be sure a skier won't set anything off

Thats nice. Unfortunately lots of times it will slide. Which has been the case for our terrain. The snowpack was so sketchy for a while because of ongoing wind and snowstorms. Finally things are starting to settle and the terrain has been opening up. I guess it's just coincidental that A-Basin opened montezuma bowl around the same time with no new snow within the past week or so.

Edited by Glenn