Killington TR 12/1/07 - 12/2/07

Schif

Friday Nov. 30, 2007: Took Emch test at 11, then did some running around to pick up bandanna/hat that I though I lost. Rode the White Loop up to the BJC and boarded the bus. We pulled out at around 3:20 p.m. We stopped for a quick bathroom break around 3.5 hours into the trip right around the PA/NY border. In a strange move we decided to go 80E to 81N to 88. A drive I've made countless times going up to visit my cousins in Cooperstown. Around Albany 88 cuts out and we used 87 and finally 4 to get to Killington. Still not really sure why we went this way, but it didn't add too much to the trip time according to google. We made 2 other stops, one at a McDonald's rest area and at a supermarket in Rutland. The McDonalds excursion took an hour and a half, while the grocery store took well over 2 and a half. We just brought too many people with us to get through places i.e. 3 bus loads. The supermarket wouldn't even sell us beer because there were too many people under 21 on the trip w/ us. :banghead They made me put down my 2 Magic Hat winter variety packs. :upyers Well we finally pull into Mountain Green Condos around 1:20 a.m and have to sit in the parking lot until past 2:30 while the "room captains" checked in. So I finally get up to my room and discover that there is some kind of problem with the rooms. There are 3 guys in there when we show up so it seems like it will work when 3 girls show up and say they're supposed to be rooming with me (not sure how they knew/recognized me but w/e). Then even more people show up. By the time the whole thing gets sorted out its 3:30 am and its Me, Pyro_boarder, SteveWWW, and 3 girls sharring a pretty sweet condo. I use the fact that I'm older than everyone else to secure a real bed and pass out.

Saturday Dec. 1, 2007. I set my alarm for 6:30am and even with only 3 hours of sleep I spring up and am ready to go. The weather reports were looking cold, but I had no idea what was in store. I decided to be a 5 layer player, but the stuff I layer with is pretty light and flexible so it warms, but doesn't constrict me. Booted up and was out the door a few before 8. The shuttle schedule was kind of pissing me off but I made due. The Bus was picking us up at Mountain Green, but only taking us down to Snowshed, right around the corner. Due to Snowshed being closed, we had to wait for a base area shuttle to take us to K-1. Why couldn't the bus just drive to K-1?

A few minutes after 8 am. I hopped in the Gondola and began the 07/08 season. It started with a bang too after I got kind of confused at the top and ended up dropping down Cascade right away instead of taking a cruiser to warm up. No problem though, its like riding a bike. A bunch of laps on the Gondola allowed for runs on sections of Great Northern, East Fall, Racers Edge, Highline and Spillway. They did not have a green route from top to bottom and only a handfull of blues. As a result most of my runs were on blacks/double blacks, just the way I like it. I took one run through the park with some of the guys from the team, but that was enough for me. Kind of a weak park with a hip type thing, side by side step downs 4 rails/boxes and gas tank stalls down at the bottom. It was ok, but not worth having to take the North Ridge Triple over. Laps on the gondola were right around 20 minutes from the singles line.

Skye Peak was pretty nice too. Superstar was soft and had big bumps on the right side, with the guns going hard on the left side. I got too close to one and ended up having 1/8'' of ice glazed on me that wouldn't melt until I went inside at the end of the day. The wind was coming up Superstar like crazy and the top half of the first headwall was pretty icy, straightlining was a pretty good idea. In addition to Superstar Bittersweet and Skye-Lark were open and were extremely fun trails, nice whales and fun natural features made these fun.

Snowdon was skiing off of the Snowdon Triple and the Snowdon Quad. Notable runs over here were Conclusion, Bunny Buster to Mouse trap Highline and Chute. This seemed to be the section of the mountain housing the most beginners. While there was no green route top to bottom, Great northern snaked its way onto Snowdon and when it opened up into a big intersection of trails, lots of people were getting confused and flailing around instead of cutting across to bunny buster and the K-1 area.

Conditions all over the mountain were excellent early on and according to the locals I talked to on the lifts were the best so far this season. The problem came later on in the day around 2 or so when the whole place seemed to ice over all at once. The place was packed so it was to be expected. I was out from 8 am until 4 pm straight with no breaks, and for some reason really didn't feel tired. Weather was frigid, temp holding steady at 4 degrees at the top of K-1 and undoubtedly colder over on Snowdon. Windchill was around -20 at some points. Exposed skin was not an option.

Saturday Night I chilled with the cute British girl from my room for a while then went to a party in another room. That got broken up by the cops around midnight so I just came back and went to bed. The room had a fireplace too but after the guys in the other room took our fire starters we had nothing to start it with. I decided to head next door to ask them for some fire. Initially they thought I meant wood, but I had that. I need fire, the element. They felt bad for taking our starters so even carried the fire for us. A quick trip with a burning log down the hall later and we had a roaring fire going.

Sunday Dec. 2, 2007.

Getting less than 9 hours sleep all weekend caught up with me a little and I didn't get on the hill until around 10 am. Not bad though. The crowd thinned out considerably. Grooming was excellent and they opened a few more trails including Double Dipper which was a lot of fun. Much Much warmer today with temps around 20. I rode up until just under 4 and headed back to Mountain Green. I got changed in a bathroom of the main building and hopped on the bus. We hit State College around 1:30 am and I hiked back home getting there around 2 where I promptly went to sleep.

I wanna go on college trips and room with cute british girls. Sucks about the beer though. Thats what liquor comes in plastic bottles well suited for packing! Damn small school where no one skis or boards... :banghead

No worries. I had a bottle of Jager and Captain and picked up an 18 of bud light when I hit the condos.