Hey, liftguy

Ski

What's the training policy for working non-detachable chairs? If you recall, I had an issue with one of the lifties not catching the chairs on Iron Horse when I was with my little girl last year. No problems for us this season, but we were behind a guy and his son (maybe 8 yrs. old) on Sunday and the THREE people working the chair let one go by untouched and it wacked the hell out of the little kid. The dad was comforting the crying kid all the way up the lift.

I think that is really fucked up.

Don't you?

What's the training policy for working non-detachable chairs? If you recall, I had an issue with one of the lifties not catching the chairs on Iron Horse when I was with my little girl last year. No problems for us this season, but we were behind a guy and his son (maybe 8 yrs. old) on Sunday and the THREE people working the chair let one go by untouched and it wacked the hell out of the little kid. The dad was comforting the crying kid all the way up the lift.

Don't you?

Even though my son is 7 now, I still make sure I can lift him onto the chair if needed, you can never rely on the lift people at CB to catch the chair, I'm not sure you can rely on this anywhere.

there isnt really a policy exactly, its more common sense then anything. Everybody is told to catch chairs anyway, its like the first thing you should be taught. for real though if youre a liftie and you dont catch chairs on a fixed lift, then why the hell are you gettin paid? being a liftie is not hard at all. Its a real chill job.

I don't disagree with either of you. But we do train our lift ops to catch EVERY chair at our ski hill. Probably 90% of the skiers/boarders at our ski hill are beginner/barely intermediate.

The Iron Horse lift serves greens and blues, so there's an assumption of a lack of ability. The dad himself was a little sketchy getting up to the red stop bar, which is what caught my attention in the first place. They were simply barely intermediate skiers wanting to ride the lift to ski the only green circle open from the top.

But if you have someone there to catch chairs in the first place, then guests should feel confident that the chairs will be caught for them.

I don't disagree with either of you. But we do train our lift ops to catch EVERY chair at our ski hill.

i never said sno didnt train lift ops. lifties have a pretty large amount of liability so training and procedures are taken seriously. or at least should be. kids like the one you encountered are just assholes who dont care.

its a shame too because if people arent very good at skiing and try to load a lift but have a bad experience because of the liftie, why would they want to ski again?

Edited by shadows

Ha, I didn't mean to say you said Sno didn't train lifties. Most of Sno's lift attendants are great...especially the one's that seem to work the bunny hill the most. I've taught a lot of Ty's friends to ski and have spent way too much time on what's now Baby Moose (AKA Calf).

Being a liftie can be a chill job, but it can also be a mofo job when it's really cold, raining, or there's 400 people from New York City in line. Hell, there's a tip jar at Dunkin' Donuts, but not one at the lift? That seems wrong to me.

But one liftie just standing there watching the chairs bash people is a huge deal. It also makes all the other lifties look bad, which sucks. I think it's important enough to be made an official rule, especially when little kid riders/skiers are in line...

well i would say its an official rule, it just depends on who ever is supervising to enforce it. as far as the tip jar, hell no haha. take those 400 people from new york who dont know how to load a lift and put a jar up there? id have to stop the lift everytime someone tries to tip me. or at the least slow it down and chase after the poles they dropped.

being a liftie is a cool job, even if its raining, cold as hell, or if theres 400 people from new york. i like doing it at least. when those 400 people from new york hit the mountain the only employees they may encounter while skiing is the liftie. so the attitudes of the liftie ultimately define how that resort looks. besides ticket window ladies/rental shop homies of course.

Edited by shadows

being a liftie is a cool job, even if its raining, cold as hell, or if theres 400 people from new york. i like doing it at least. when those 400 people from new york hit the mountain the only employees they may encounter while skiing is the liftie. so the attitudes of the liftie ultimately define how that resort looks. besides ticket window ladies/rental shop homies of course.

Uhhhh, how long have you been working lifts for again?

Being a liftie can be a chill job, but it can also be a mofo job when it's really cold, raining, or there's 400 people from New York City in line. Hell, there's a tip jar at Dunkin' Donuts, but not one at the lift? That seems wrong to me.

Are you serious? I'm not going to tip a lifty. Hold on can you stop the lift I have some change I would like to give you. hahah don't think so.

Yeah, The guy down on ironhorse dident catch the lift for us eather, luckily i sit back on it fast and cougtht it for the girl i was with with my body (ouch?) but the Short Haul' guy was great, the guy working the top was even better! I was teaching a girl how to ski, and for awhile he slowed the lift right before we got off, so she could get off easier, than after she did that good for awhile, he kept it at the normal speed, and just stuck his head out the window!

what difference does that make? if youre trying to say something, say it...

What I'm saying is that I worked lifts for seven months and for the first month or so it didn't seem that bad. After you realize that you're getting paid peanuts to stand outside (rain or shine) and watch people have fun all day it really isn't as much fun as it once was. I just was curious to see if you were some new jack who is still giddy about getting a free pass and discounted food or if you actually enjoy working lifts.

What I'm saying is that I worked lifts for seven months and for the first month or so it didn't seem that bad. After you realize that you're getting paid peanuts to stand outside (rain or shine) and watch people have fun all day it really isn't as much fun as it once was. I just was curious to see if you were some new jack who is still giddy about getting a free pass and discounted food or if you actually enjoy working lifts.

youre a digger arent you? you bust your ass all day while people destroy the shit you worked on.

i actually enjoy doing it. sure the money sucks, but what do i need to pay for? i usually ski after or before work anyway so its not a total loss. i enjoy seeing people having fun skiing, which goes back to my point about good service. makes it much more pleasurable. if i can have a great time skiing, why shouldnt anyone else.

youre a digger arent you? you bust your ass all day while people destroy the shit you worked on.

No, I'm not a digger. Those guys don't really bust their ass that much anyway.

i actually enjoy doing it. sure the money sucks, but what do i need to pay for? i usually ski after or before work anyway so its not a total loss.

I guess it's a little different when you have night riding.

Don't you?

Hey Ski, what time on Sunday? Liftguy will get to the bottom of it. If you see stuff like this continuing to happen, let us know. It usually takes us a couple of weeks to weed out the people that r just not interested in helping anyone. We will try to monitor this a littler better but if u take a break in the lodge, stop by the office and let us know so we can address it while it is going on. Thanks, later.........................

Hey Ski, what time on Sunday? Liftguy will get to the bottom of it. If you see stuff like this continuing to happen, let us know. It usually takes us a couple of weeks to weed out the people that r just not interested in helping anyone. We will try to monitor this a littler better but if u take a break in the lodge, stop by the office and let us know so we can address it while it is going on. Thanks, later.........................

Sunday around 2:30pm, or so.

But listen: the kids working from 7-10pm tonight down on Iron Horse were great. They slowed the lift the first time they saw my little one, then just made sure to catch every chair after seeing she could ski up to it in plenty of time. I would hate for what happened Sunday to reflect on those kids. And we rode the bunny lift tonight for channel 16 and those guys were great as always.

youre a digger arent you?

"The world needs ditch diggers."

---Caddy Shack

Sunday around 2:30pm, or so.

But listen: the kids working from 7-10pm tonight down on Iron Horse were great. They slowed the lift the first time they saw my little one, then just made sure to catch every chair after seeing she could ski up to it in plenty of time. I would hate for what happened Sunday to reflect on those kids. And we rode the bunny lift tonight for channel 16 and those guys were great as always.

We know that it's not everyone but if we are given times, we can make sure that the employee corrects the problem....Thanks

"The world needs ditch diggers."

---Caddy Shack

Your right, $46 bucks for a lift ticket just isn't enough. Maybe you should call the lifty union and make a donation!

$46? Wow, that's a lot of lap dances for TP4 :blink:

When you start having babies and turn them into little skiers and boarders, a good lift op becomes a lot more important. Heck, I pay my babysitter $40 a night so she doesn't waterboard Ty when we're out...