Jack Frost TR 12-18-07 with one photo

RidgeRacer

Just got back from a sweet session at Frost...got there around 12:45. Did my first run on Thunderbolt then headed right over to East Mt. The guns were blowing on pretty much everything that wasn't open (except Floyd's Folly) and they stayed on the whole time so apparantly they going 'round the clock which is nice. I did a few laps on Lightning / River shot. The snow was crusty but still edgable. There was a fun section under the East Mt. lift that shot you out back onto River shot where you could get a little air. Did that a few times then headed over to the trees to the right of Challenge. (See photo below) This was the run of the day! I'm assuming this is what they cleared out during the summer. There was powder to be found in there. After skiing through there a bit you can bear right, under the East Mt. lift, and back onto river shot. I even hit the little cliff huck a few times. I did notce that the trail signs for Little Clif Huck, Risk it and the Elevator were all taken down. The Mad Tree Glade sign was still there though. Another great day at JF.

ChallengeGlade.jpg

Sweet snow in the trees to the right of Challenge

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

Just got back from a sweet session at Frost...got there around 12:45. Did my first run on Thunderbolt then headed right over to East Mt. The guns were blowing on pretty much everything that wasn't open (except Floyd's Folly) and they stayed on the whole time so apparantly they going 'round the clock which is nice. I did a few laps on Lightning / River shot. The snow was crusty but still edgable. There was a fun section under the East Mt. lift that shot you out back onto River shot where you could get a little air. Did that a few times then headed over to the trees to the right of Challenge. (See photo below) This was the run of the day! I'm assuming this is what they cleared out during the summer. There was powder to be found in there. After skiing through there a bit you can bear right, under the East Mt. lift, and back onto river shot. I even hit the little cliff huck a few times. I did notce that the trail signs for Little Clif Huck, Risk it and the Elevator were all taken down. The Mad Tree Glade sign was still there though. Another great day at JF.

ChallengeGlade.jpg

Sweet snow in the trees to the right of Challenge

221.jpg

http://www.skireport.com/images2/trailmaps/large/221.jpg

So you come off the east mountain lift - head to challenge, go down challenge a ways, go through the tree section and end up back on river shot and take the east mountain lift up again? Or is it just glades on the skier's left of lightning and you go out a ways towards challenge and then back onto river shot, sorry but I just wasn't following, I am planning on going tomorrow and I want to try it.

You head down Challenge and bear right maybe 50 yards into the trees. You'll notice that it's pretty much thinned out , not hard to find at all. just follow it down maybe 400 vert and you'll see the first way out. The first way is pretty much a flat trail that takes you right below river shots first head wall. The second way (a bit further down) is the funner way. It'll take you through some forest which brings you directly under the East Mt. lift. Keep going right through some more trees and it'll put on River Shot just before Little Cliff Huck. That was the way I went. I assume it's all ok to ski on. I think a patroller saw me and didn't say anything. There are a few ways that looked pretty nice IMO. I'll be there also around 11:45. We should get a roll call goin'.

You head down Challenge and bear right maybe 50 yards into the trees. You'll notice that it's pretty much thinned out , not hard to find at all. just follow it down maybe 400 vert and you'll see the first way out. The first way is pretty much a flat trail that takes you right below river shots first head wall. The second way (a bit further down) is the funner way. It'll take you through some forest which brings you directly under the East Mt. lift. Keep going right through some more trees and it'll put on River Shot just before Little Cliff Huck. That was the way I went. I assume it's all ok to ski on. I think a patroller saw me and didn't say anything. There are a few ways that looked pretty nice IMO. I'll be there also around 11:45. We should get a roll call goin'.

I'm deciding between JFBB and Belleayre. I thought my girlfriend would be studying tomorrow but she is free so I might head up there with her. If I don't go up there I'll be at JF around 12:30-1 and I'll be there until close, then hop over to Boulder for about 3-4 hours and then come home.

Thanks for the info on the trail, I'll post what I'm doing in a bit. If I don't go tomorrow, I will be up thursday unless Blue opens challenge or razors, then I'm going to Blue.

Ah ... the decisions during vacation are so much better than the decisions you have to make while working.

I assume it's all ok to ski on. I think a patroller saw me and didn't say anything.

I talked to a patroller yesterday and he said JFBB has an open policy. You can go wherever you want. Even on closed trails, as long as the groomers aren't out!! I saw another thread where someone was stopped by a patroller about skiin in the woods. Yeah, well, your allowed.

Where the hell did this trail map come from? My buddy and I were talking about that halfpipe last weekend. It was a nice one!!

I talked to a patroller yesterday and he said JFBB has an open policy. You can go wherever you want. Even on closed trails, as long as the groomers aren't out!! I saw another thread where someone was stopped by a patroller about skiin in the woods. Yeah, well, your allowed.

Where the hell did this trail map come from? My buddy and I were talking about that halfpipe last weekend. It was a nice one!!

Its old school, thats why I put the link to it below. If you follow mountains long enough you find that trails (especially glades) come and go over the course of time rather drastically.

--Oh and I won't be at JFBB tomorrow, probably on thursday, I'm going to Belleayre tomorrow

Edited by Method9455

I went today, I found the glade you where talking about, it was really obvious and it definitely wasn't there last year. I also found you could enter under the east mountain lift above where that glade dumped out, just cross right above the last rivershot headwell (I had to unstrap to get over the snowmaking tubes without cutting them but that wouldn't normall be the case). It is kind of a "chute", although it is just bushes on either side. I would say 5 feet wide, at what would be about a blue square steepness. A skier had left tracks in it, but no other snowboarders. It is about the limit of how tight of a radius turn a snowboarder can carve, I was initiating a new turn while my other edge was still exiting one, which is kind of like what you have to do in moguls - and you can see how many snowboarder do moguls. It got the adrenaline going for the first time in a while, the lift pole came up really fast. And I threw a nice 180 in off a snowbank right under the east mountain lift, it felt great. Oh yea open domain policy.

I went today, I found the glade you where talking about, it was really obvious and it definitely wasn't there last year. I also found you could enter under the east mountain lift above where that glade dumped out, just cross right above the last rivershot headwell (I had to unstrap to get over the snowmaking tubes without cutting them but that wouldn't normall be the case). It is kind of a "chute", although it is just bushes on either side. I would say 5 feet wide, at what would be about a blue square steepness. A skier had left tracks in it, but no other snowboarders. It is about the limit of how tight of a radius turn a snowboarder can carve, I was initiating a new turn while my other edge was still exiting one, which is kind of like what you have to do in moguls - and you can see how many snowboarder do moguls. It got the adrenaline going for the first time in a while, the lift pole came up really fast. And I threw a nice 180 in off a snowbank right under the east mountain lift, it felt great. Oh yea open domain policy.

Thanks for the TR Method!! Sorry I missed it today. It is tight in there for sure. Most of the skiing / riding through trees happens when you cut over to East Mt. The tight turns on the headwalls are fun too. That's a nice little gem for sure at Jack Frost.

Thanks for the TR Method!! Sorry I missed it today. It is tight in there for sure. Most of the skiing / riding through trees happens when you cut over to East Mt. The tight turns on the headwalls are fun too. That's a nice little gem for sure at Jack Frost.

I'll be back a lot as soon as the holidays are over, work gets busy this time of year so I don't get many days off until after new years. Hopefully we'll get a little more snow over the next week or so I think some of the stuff might become unskiable if it rains this weekend.

Why are you guys giving away tree stashes online?

At first I was hesitant to mention it but it's really not this hard to find stash that the locals pruned out over the off season. This is a new area that JF cut during the offseason and advertised on their site as new for this year. There isn't a trail sign but the entrance is so blatently obvious to anyone who looks for it. Not only that but you can see people skiing in it from the East mt lift as well. Weekenders / people who seldom ski likely wont even think to head in there because there is no trail sign.

Yea they're not hidden they're gladed marked trails in most cases, and the one line I was taking was literally 10 feet under the lift. I saw one or two guys doing it all day. Honestly the difficulty of both lines keep them from getting crowded, lots of people saw me taking mine all day and yet no one else took it during the entire time I was there. Half the people going up that lift can barely handle the groomed trail on east mountain, the mad tree glade had a dozen tracks in it tops, unmarked stuff was untouched.

A few of those might be mine. :) On wednesday there were no tracks in there at all. The braches poking through made it look worse than it really was.

I had 0 (new) damage to my board at the end of the day, and I spent about half of it off the groomed trails. I was expecting quite a bit from because of the cover and I didn't care because it was my park board, but it is actually a decent amount of snow covering it all out there. Hopefully the rain won't hurt too much, but it is pretty crusty so it might survive. Another snowstorm would seal the deal right about now, if we had that much it would probably stay skiable for a long time.

heh, that area between east mountain and challenge is where an old power line used to run up. It was certainly there last year, maybe they thinned it out more, and hopefully they removed those stubs from the old power poles, but it was definitely there last year.

Its definately cleaned out a bit, it thinner than the rest of the area of big trees but the underbrush was removed so it is much more skiable than other areas. The t-bolt glade could use some love though there are a lot of big branches down in there. The mad tree glad is pretty good. Is the area to the right of telstar a glade? It is kind of cleared out but lots of branches down as well. What are those blue things in the woods on the top of east mountain> It looks like a bunch of blue tables on their side. At first I thought they where to protect valves or something, but some of them are facing the wrong way for that to be the case.

What are those blue things in the woods on the top of east mountain> It looks like a bunch of blue tables on their side. At first I thought they where to protect valves or something, but some of them are facing the wrong way for that to be the case.

paintball

Whats unfortunate is that all the snow that exists off the trials is going to be melted away from today :banghead

someone will have to let me know if its all gone or not, and give a status update later in the week.......as i look to heading there later this week

By the way i went saturday and conditions were pretty good, crowds were less than i expected, the wooded areas started to get skied off by the afternoon which i found out the unfortunate way by skiing over a rock. Otherwise even by the end of the day the trails were still holding up well.