Blue NASTAR

mbike-ski

Any body in the know if theyre running the NASTy-AR again and if its going to be the same night/times (Thurs/Sun) and when they might be starting? I need to confirm some event dates and would hate to miss Thursday nights - couldn't find anything on the web site....

According to Blue's new calendar, it's still the same:

http://www.skibluemt.com/SkiBlue/calendar.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

got up there late and only did 4 runs - felt OK for the first time back in thegates. I need to learn how to start, makes all the difference between a good and bad run. Pretty easy set. No speaker or announcements working - they didn't even have telcom set up in the shack, sign ups were in the starters hut. best time was the third run at 26.47 but i didn't see the pacesetters time posted and nothing up yet on the site. the one guy whos there every week (Jerry?) was running 21-22's. SNow all over the mountain was nice tonight tho and they were blowing the sh!t out of evrything except switchback. Frees skiid with Nastar Glenn after who just got back from Park City last night, tomorrrow should be sweet...I'll be battling the schools after work skiing with the kids tommoorow night

got up there late and only did 4 runs - felt OK for the first time back in thegates. I need to learn how to start, makes all the difference between a good and bad run. Pretty easy set. No speaker or announcements working - they didn't even have telcom set up in the shack, sign ups were in the starters hut. best time was the third run at 26.47 but i didn't see the pacesetters time posted and nothing up yet on the site. the one guy whos there every week (Jerry?) was running 21-22's. SNow all over the mountain was nice tonight tho and they were blowing the sh!t out of evrything except switchback. Frees skiid with Nastar Glenn after who just got back from Park City last night, tomorrrow should be sweet...I'll be battling the schools after work skiing with the kids tommoorow night

26 is a really good run against Jerry's 21 or 22. He's generally about a 10HC. But your one pacesetter had a tough time at Hunter and his HC went up to 22 with a coat. A mid-26 would have probably been right under a 30HC last year, but higher this season. Great start to the season, Mike!

ouch...i guess so 35+

A 22HC pacesetter is tough because he got that under difficult conditions. If the national pacesetter had run Blue's course, which is less difficult than the one Hunter had set for trials, your guy would probably ski a 12HC. Not trying to tell you something you don't already know---but just trying to point out that you're closer to your mid-season form from last year than the 35HC indicates.

Keep skiing fast!

Let me see if I have this correctly. Because the pacesetter at Blue had a bad day when they were handing out pacesetter HCs in NY, all of our HCs will be inflated by ten for the remainder of the season? Essentially we are competing against a 12 HC that Nastar treats like a 22 HC?

This is hard to explain...but here goes:

Most of the pacesetters in this region had their HC's set at Hunter. They always set a more challenging offset course during pacesetter trials. The more offset a course is, or the more challenging because of bad weather, the more separation there is between people like AJ Kitt and your typical area pacesetter.

There have been years were it's rained at Hunter and a pacesetter who usually skies a 10HC came back with a 22HC, or worse. This year, most pacesetters came back with a slightly higher HC than usual.

Because of the fairly steep first headwall and bad lighting toward the end, Blue's course rates as a pretty challenging course as far as NASTAR goes. Your pacesetter struggled a bit at Hunter, but handles your course pretty well. If AJ Kitt were to race your guy at Blue, your guy would register a mid-teens or better HC because it's an easier course than the set at Hunter. The easier the course, the more clumped together the times are.

Here's the upside: the higher the pacesetter's HC, the more likely he/she is to make a mistake that you can take advantage of. A pacesetter with a 3HC is much more consistent than a 20HC pacesetter.

At Sno, we have a super fast kid with an 8HC who is much more like a 6HC. His times are always within .2 seconds, or so. It's nearly impossible to get a golden day out of him. For you, your pacesetter could very easily be nearly a second slower because of one or two mistakes on the course.

This isn't a knock on anyone. It's the nature of racing.