terrain park opens

rummy

just rails for right now, so this will probably all change in the next week or so...

you've got a choice of crail rail, fun box, flat down, or rainbow first.

after that it's a tiny double barrel rail thats barely even off the ground, battle ship, dragon box, and rainbow box.

all of them are ride ons.

• 1 month later...

Elk has never been about park... Its a nice little bonus that they have a park though. I talked to Dan (i think the head park guy) earlier this season and he understands the whole deal with all the big time budgets in this area now. If you need a sick park hit up Boulder or Creek (dare i even say Snow). Elk has the best terrain in the Mid-Atlantic/Poconos region hands down. While their direct competitor (Sno) is cutting down trees to make new trails and parks, Elk is planting (hundreds of evergreens) to preserve the mountain and even cut down on some of the wicked winds that these mountains endure. I don't really know where I intended to go with this post, but I always plan a couple of trips to Elk because they actually "get it". More mountains should take some notes on how to run a "mountain"...

Keep up the good work Elk Mountain!

Elk has never been about park... Its a nice little bonus that they have a park though. I talked to Dan (i think the head park guy) earlier this season and he understands the whole deal with all the big time budgets in this area now. If you need a sick park hit up Boulder or Creek (dare i even say Snow). Elk has the best terrain in the Mid-Atlantic/Poconos region hands down. While their direct competitor (Sno) is cutting down trees to make new trails and parks, Elk is planting (hundreds of evergreens) to preserve the mountain and even cut down on some of the wicked winds that these mountains endure. I don't really know where I intended to go with this post, but I always plan a couple of trips to Elk because they actually "get it". More mountains should take some notes on how to run a "mountain"...

Keep up the good work Elk Mountain!

I agree with planting trees for wind blocks. The main face of Sno can be a pain, when windy.

Elk is a rare type of ski area anymore. The evergreens really do help with the wind and they are also beautiful. Elk is not about a huge park for all of the kids etc. I think, you have to have one these days,and I understand that the kids do like to nail the hits and jumps etc. I was a kid once too!! But skiing and true riding is about the mountain and the snow. This is what Elk is about. I hope the private ownership can continue to offer this type of experience and continue to make improvements in snowmaking and grooming etc.

Elk is a rare type of ski area anymore. The evergreens really do help with the wind and they are also beautiful. Elk is not about a huge park for all of the kids etc. I think, you have to have one these days,and I understand that the kids do like to nail the hits and jumps etc. I was a kid once too!! But skiing and true riding is about the mountain and the snow. This is what Elk is about. I hope the private ownership can continue to offer this type of experience and continue to make improvements in snowmaking and grooming etc.

I understand ELK's position as a SKI resort first and foremost, but I'm really starting to question the intensity of there dedication to the old school ski mentality. Thee is so little attention given to snowboarders. Today, i had my name taken by ski patrol because I was hitting a jump we found to the side of one trail. I understand i was in my jacket, which is a uniform, but its as if they completely deny any chance toward freestyle riding other than the 200 yard park separated from the rest of the trails. Most of the fun in riding, is finding natural, or man made, features to use.

I know I am in no position to question any of management's methods, but sometimes ELK feels like 1980's California...

Here's hoping I still have my job next week...