snowmobiles

SnowBunny

What is up with the snowmobilers going so fast up or across trails? They are definatley not ski patrol, who are often more cautious. Thinksnow and I were up there last night and 3 snowmobiles came cruising up the side of switchback. They must have been groomers, ski lift peeps or other staff. Not cool! <_<

Yeah I've noticed the same thing. I haven't seen them on trails like switchback, usally straigter trails, but I usually ride the sides of trails where they like to go, and I also ride on inside blind turns alot... probobly not the best practice, but oh well.

I was flying down the side of the trail and they came around the corner... I was wearing my helmet, which tends to whistle at high speeds, so I didn't even hear them coming, scary stuff :)

haha yea, i always think ski patrol is whistling me over...Leedom helmets seem to do that, i wonder if racerchick experiences the same thing....

but i've never seen them drive up switchback...the trails they usually drive on are lazy mile and paradise, because they are very visible on those trails....

haha yea, i always think ski patrol is whistling me over...Leedom helmets seem to do that, i wonder if racerchick experiences the same thing....

but i've never seen them drive up switchback...the trails they usually drive on are lazy mile and paradise, because they are very visible on those trails....

My a-frames whistle if they aren't on my face (aka on my helmet or I'm adjusting them). I thought it was ski patrol a couple of times.

Yeah man... I always hug the left side of switch back around those turns... next thing I know there are 3 snowmobiles flying toward me... I put my arms in the air and slowed down as much as I could...

Was at blue today, and the snowmobiles where out of control. They were going REALLY fast, and flying through crowded areas like base. It was insane. I hope someone was seriously and thats they were moving that fast, but I assume they were just lead foots.

Was at blue today, and the snowmobiles where out of control. They were going REALLY fast, and flying through crowded areas like base. It was insane. I hope someone was seriously and thats they were moving that fast, but I assume they were just lead foots.

You can't really blame them. I know that when I work at a golf course in the summer half the fun is just driving really fast (and if no one is around wild and recklissy). You have to watch out though, one of the guys I work withe totaled a $15,000 golf cart. :rofl

You can't really blame them. I know that when I work at a golf course in the summer half the fun is just driving really fast (and if no one is around wild and recklissy). You have to watch out though, one of the guys I work withe totaled a $15,000 golf cart.  :rofl

Yeah you can blame them, there has been one death this year related to snowmobile's. It's their job to keep us safe (ski patrol), yet they make unsafe conditions with their reckless abandon while on the sleds. I understand they are fun, and there times, (after closing) when they can open them up and have fun, but when peoples lives (namely guests, but all people matter [except maybe daveyk]) are at risk, its not time for fun and games. Its business.

Yeah. There is no excuse for driving reclessly, expecialy through the crowded base. If you contacted higher management I'm shure they would do some thing. The last thing they want is to be sued. Or worse be all over the news because one of their employees killed someone when it could have been easly avoided.

OK I MAKE SNOE DURING DAY I DRIVE A SLED ALMOST EVERYDAY...... ILL GIVE U THE LOW DOWN...... EVERYONE ON THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN WHO OPERATES A SLED MUST WATCH AND SIGN A FOR ABOUT SNOWMOBILE SAFETY......EVERY SLED MUST HAVE AN ORANGE FLAG...... ONLY SKI PATROL ARE PERMITTED TO GIVE RIDES... WE AS SNOWMAKERS CANNOT..... IF U SEE SOMEONE DRIVING FAST FIGURE OUT WHO THEY ARE... IE SKIPATROL RED COATS...... IF THE HAVE SKIS ON THE SLED ITS MOST LIKELY PATROL.... AND SNOWMAKERS MOST OF US WEAR BROWN OVERALLS......IF IT LOOKS LIKE A "RACE" SLED ITS A BOSS OR MANAGEMENT...LIFT OPERATIONS ALSO HAVE SLEDS ALONG WITH TUBING PARK... ALSO THE PARK CREW HAS A SNOWMOBILE..... ALL THE OLDER SLED LIKE SKI PATROLS OR SNOWMAKING OR LIFT OPS. HAVE VIKING 540 WHICH HAVE L -LOW RANGE R- REVERSE D- DRIVE.... ALL THE VIKING ON THE MOUNTAIN ARE LOCKED IN LOW RANGE ONLY.... WITCH LIMITS THEM TO ABOUT 45 MPH MAX. SPEED... YOU WONT GET CLOSE TO THAT UP HILL..... WE ARE TAUGHT TO DRIVE ON OUTSIDE OF ALL TURNS.... IF MORE THAN 1 SLED WE ARE TO STAY TOGETHER ON ONE SIDE OF TRAIL ONLY..... IF U SEE OR HEAR A SLED SEE WHAT SIDE OF THE TRAIL THERE ON AND EITHER MOVE OR STOP AND ALLOW TO GO BY IF U THINK THERE DRIVING FAST DONT BE ALARMED FLAG THE PERSON DOWN AND ASK Y THERE IN SUCH A HURRY.... I UNDRETAND IF YOU WANT TO REPORT SOMETHING BUT TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHO IS DRIVING LIKE THAT.... IF U COMPLAIN EVERY DEPARTMENT IS GONNA GET HELL FOR IT WHEN ONLY CERTAIN PEOPLE DESERVE IT..... IM ON A SLED EVERYDAY JUST ABOUT I KNOW IT MIGHT LOOK FAST BUT ON CERTAIN TRAILS IF U STOP U WONT GET STARTED AGAIN GOING UP HILL..... MOST OFTEN TRAILS TRAVELED ARE LAZY MILE AND PARADISE FOR THE WIDTHS AND EASY ACCESS WE TRY TO AVOID OTHER TRAILS DUE TO BEING NARROW OR OVER CROWDED......THANX

Thanks for the info... These guys were definitely wearing brown overalls, 3 sleds in a row, no whistles, horns or anything. They were on the inside of a turn on switchback (kind of understandable the way insides become outsides on that trail). I understand about needing to get some get-go uphill, but it honestly was startling seeing them pop out from nowhere... I guess that's just a bad trail for them to be on.

Like I said, the guys I saw roaring through the base area (yeah, so no excuse for not getting up the trail) were ski patrol. They fired by me before I could even think about flagging them down, and asking what the rush was. I suppose I could have reported it, but it would have meant missing out on riding time :). Not sure if the blue moutain admin reads this mb but if they do, I saw SKI PATROL.

Yeah.  There is no excuse for driving reclessly, expecialy through the crowded base.  If you contacted higher management I'm shure they would do some thing.  The last thing they want is to be sued.  Or worse be all over the news because one of their employees killed someone when it could have been easly avoided.

Yeah I also saw a snow mobile speeding through the base, but don't recall if it was ski patrol or what not. Did you guys check out and read the back of the lift ticket? What a bunch of crap! It talks about understanding the risks of skiing/boarding (of course there are risks), but what gets me is to agree not to sue Blue...EVEN IF it is under the negligence of their employees! I guess they are trying to protect themselves, but if it's their own fault (i.e. reckless snow mobilers), I don't see how one wouldn't sue and win the case.

Yeah I also saw a snow mobile speeding through the base, but don't recall if it was ski patrol or what not.  Did you guys check out and read the back of the lift ticket?  What a bunch of crap!  It talks about understanding the risks of skiing/boarding (of course there are risks), but what gets me is to agree not to sue Blue...EVEN IF it is under the negligence of their employees!  I guess they are trying to protect themselves, but if it's their own fault (i.e. reckless snow mobilers), I don't see how one wouldn't sue and win the case.

As I mentioned before, you cannot give up your rights, including your right to sue. It just give the mountain a case when they can say, hey you agreed not to do this. Of coarse if they are being negligent, and you can prove it, I don't know why a court wouldn't rule in your favor, as long as the settlement was appropriate.