Getting into racing for snowboarders

method9455

Ironically I stopped skiing 6 years ago because I was bored and figured it was either park on a snowboard or racing on skis. Well turns out after 6 years of snowboarding I like going fast more than I like park. So now I'm thinking about getting into racing on a snowboard. I already have a setup that is as close as you can get to plate bindings without actualy having plate bindings, I'm just not sure where to start. Does Nastar cover snowboarders? Do they do that around here, I only go monday-friday generally so I never see anyone but high school ski teams practicing. Are there any boardercross events? I have season passes to JFBB and Belleayre, I see lots of racers at Belleayre but all skiers. I generally do Belleayre Sat/Sun. I'd go to Camelback or Blue too. I'm looking to just try it a few times before I start buying gear or coaching or getting in a program, I just kind of want to enter a few events and see how I stack up you know?

There's def snowboarding in NASTAR. Mark's sporting a snazzy new jacket he won at Nationals. You even get a 10% bonus knocked off your handicap. I know Roundtop has had a snowboard race team for years. Check out their website for events and maybe some links to anything closer:

Roundtop

There's def snowboarding in NASTAR. Mark's sporting a snazzy new jacket he won at Nationals. You even get a 10% bonus knocked off your handicap. I know Roundtop has had a snowboard race team for years. Check out their website for events and maybe some links to anything closer:

Roundtop

Thanks. I have seen Nastar before at Belleayre and Camelback but I don't know how it works. Do you just show up? Do you have to join an association? How much time does it consume (i.e. can I do a few runs a day but spend the rest of the day cruising around?) I'm going to stick with my stuff for a bit but ultimately I am sure I will get a racing board. I doubt I will need hard boots/plates for a while, my boots are already the stiffest softshell boot you can buy on the stiffest binding you can buy, I haven't found a trail yet where they are underpowered. But a racing board intrigues me and I might be able to get one off Ebay and tune it at my shop.

* I joined Nastar online so I guess I just need to bring my number once I go to one of these. Looks like I can do Belleayre without having to buy lift tickets, nothing at JFBB, or I could do Blue or Camelback but I'd have to buy a ticket.

Resort Contact Times Par Time* Race Trail

Belleayre Mountain 914-254-5600 Sat, Sun & Holiday 1-3 PM 27.78 Yahoo

Blue Mountain Ski Area 610-826-7700 Thurs 6:30 to 8:30 PM, Sun 2-4 PM 23.00 Raceway

Camelback Ski Area 570-629-1661 Saturday & Sunday 12:30-3:30 PM 20.25 Raceway

Shawnee Mountain 570-421-7231 Sat & Sun 10-3 PM 23.06 Lower Bushkill

SNO Mountain 570-969-7669 Sat & Sun 10-12 & 1:30-3:30 PM 23.75 Switch

Edited by Method9455

Not much to add to that. It's usually $5 for two runs and $10 unlimited. Belleayre has a great little course right under the lift above the lodge. It's great there because the lift has the jump off point right near the start house. And, yeah, you sign up at the start house. You have to sign a waiver each day and provide your NASTAR ID, which never changes. You're 18, right? Under 18 and you have to have a parent sign it---it's okay to take the sheet down to non-skiing parents in the lodge, or whatever. Some kids forge their parent's name, of course.

After you sign the waiver and pay, you'll get a sticker with a number on it. You don't have to wear it, just stick it in a pocket and remember the number. That is the number you'll tell the starter just before it's your turn.

Belleayre, btw, has one of the best start houses ever. It's ski through and a great break from wind on cold days.

NASTAR is first come, first serve, so you don't wait for any particular order. If it's not busy, you can sign up and complete two runs at Belleayre in about 15 minutes.

One tip: it's good to go early. Courses rut out, especially on warm days. It also scrapes to ice on cold days. The fastest and cleanest runs come from about the 10th to 30th racer. It's also not a bad idea to learn to ride the ruts, so don't stop boarding just because the course is breaking down, but don't get frustrated when your times get slower.

Not much to add to that. It's usually $5 for two runs and $10 unlimited. Belleayre has a great little course right under the lift above the lodge. It's great there because the lift has the jump off point right near the start house. And, yeah, you sign up at the start house. You have to sign a waiver each day and provide your NASTAR ID, which never changes. You're 18, right? Under 18 and you have to have a parent sign it---it's okay to take the sheet down to non-skiing parents in the lodge, or whatever. Some kids forge their parent's name, of course.

After you sign the waiver and pay, you'll get a sticker with a number on it. You don't have to wear it, just stick it in a pocket and remember the number. That is the number you'll tell the starter just before it's your turn.

Belleayre, btw, has one of the best start houses ever. It's ski through and a great break from wind on cold days.

NASTAR is first come, first serve, so you don't wait for any particular order. If it's not busy, you can sign up and complete two runs at Belleayre in about 15 minutes.

One tip: it's good to go early. Courses rut out, especially on warm days. It also scrapes to ice on cold days. The fastest and cleanest runs come from about the 10th to 30th racer. It's also not a bad idea to learn to ride the ruts, so don't stop boarding just because the course is breaking down, but don't get frustrated when your times get slower.

Sounds good, I'll try it next time. If I convince my girlfriend she wants to do it then we'll probably spend a whole morning there. If not I'll do a run or two and spend the rest of the day just riding. But she loves to bomb trails so why not for time?

• 5 weeks later...

Method i wish i saw this thread earler. but nastar is a good way to start out. You really dont get any competion until you get to nationals if your in the 15 to 25 or so age range and even then you wont get much. also depending on your confanince leval i would also check out the USASA racing. i did a race with them yesterday at Ascutney mtn. but i was the only one in my age bracket.

+1 on what ski said about riding in the ruts. i had to go 2nd to last yesterday for both edvents (GS then a SL) and the corse was rutted to hell.

• 1 month later...

A race/carving board w/hard boots can be a total blast.They go hella fast and can turn insanly quick(depending on the board).It's a totally different feel than any soft boot/binding set up.I just sold my carving set up and race set up for pennies on the dollar,just wasn't getting any use out of the stuff.