TR 1/7/08

Melissa

I don't really do these trip report things, but I wanted to report on the condition of the mountain for y'all.

Upper mountain was SLUSH. Bare patches and puddles. The new park (not mainline, the other one) is not open and I don't think it'll be open until it gets cold again. I really don't know for how long those trails on the upper mountain will be open.

Snow on the Northface was soft but not slush and base looked fine.

how does the mainline park look?...any bare spots

I didn't go down it, but it couldn't have been good - I saw bare spots on everywhere else on the upper mountain. If it didn't have bare spots today, I am sure by tomorrow it will. Maybe someone else can comment on this if they were on mainline today?

Just to add...

Ty and I headed over after school and just skied the upper mountain. Whistler is pretty good, but Switch has taken a hit and has a narrow spot at the top headwall but is still very skiable. The Mainline park had one jump roped off and it's sketchy around other features. Highball is still okay, so the after school kids still have a place to straightline and crash. There was a really funny guy tonight who was taking a private lesson, but just kept going all balls out and having some pretty hilarious yard sales. He was getting cheers from the lift.

It was 55 degrees in the lot and stayed pretty warm for the dozen runs we took. It has the same feeling as when I hike for turns at our own ski hill in late April---the air was really warm, but you could feel the cold rising up from the snow.

We ran into Wolverine21 just as we were heading over to lap the Shuttle lift. Sorry, Wolverine, but I think I've only seen you in goggles and maybe last year at the passholder party and wasn't sure who you were at first. Then Nick showed up to keep the park rats in line. Ty says she's sorry she's so shy but you both are really nice boys. I told her she better be nice to Nick because he fixes what you groms do to his take-off's on weekends.

Anyway, spring conditions for the next few days and patrol will start marking rocks soon.

The good news for park rats is that the huge piles of snow are groomed and waiting to set up. So while the rest off us suffer the thin cover, you guys are gonna have a TON of snow on Spike. I'm sure, though, that the NF is holding up just fine.

Just as the sun set, a lot of kids showed up, so business looked pretty good for the night.

Some pics:

Ya Ski, it's really annoying when you just fix a lip on a warm day and then someone rides off the side of it. What can you do tho? 80% of the people who ride in that park ride off the sides of the lips. They will eventually learn to hit the feature if they want to.

Ya Ski, it's really annoying when you just fix a lip on a warm day and then someone rides off the side of it. What can you do tho? 80% of the people who ride in that park ride off the sides of the lips. They will eventually learn to hit the feature if they want to.

Race courses have issues, too...like when a group of a dozen people from the same club run the course over and over, rutting the crap out of it, then they just ski away when they are done. If they all just took one run more slow run down it in a wedge (called 'slipping'), the course would be as good as new.

Ty, btw, loves skiing in your park :no

Race courses have issues, too...like when a group of a dozen people from the same club run the course over and over, rutting the crap out of it, then they just ski away when they are done. If they all just took one run more slow run down it in a wedge (called 'slipping'), the course would be as good as new.

Ty, btw, loves skiing in your park :no

Ya I've seen racers do that.

It's not my park, but thanks lol. A lot of kids like skiing the park. It kind a gets addicting after a while. My first year of skiing I would only ride park every now and then, but now I never leave the park unless its closed, in bad condition, or need to take a run down the NF to get to my car.

I don't really do these trip report things, but I wanted to report on the condition of the mountain for y'all.

Upper mountain was SLUSH. Bare patches and puddles. The new park (not mainline, the other one) is not open and I don't think it'll be open until it gets cold again. I really don't know for how long those trails on the upper mountain will be open.

Snow on the Northface was soft but not slush and base looked fine.

Great first report Melissa!

It's really nice to have an objective review of the conditions.

For this part, "Upper mountain was SLUSH. Bare patches and puddles", most mountains would have reported, "Upper mountain is WET PACKED POWDER. A few thin spots with some non-frozen snow." :D

And for this part, "Snow on the Northface was soft but not slush and base looked fine."... Snow on the Northface is PACKED POWDER with a ONE GAZILLION INCH BASE."

All-in-all, a great first report from Camelot (err, I mean Sno) Mountain!

Not quite up to GSS's standards for reports from Blue; but only because you didn't tell us what you had to eat on the way home. But all-in-all a great report! Please keep posting reports! We need an objective review. Otherwise we could just go to the ski area Conditions Report.

P.S. To beat out GSS as best PASkiandRide reporter, all you need to do is, if you buy shampoo on the way home; tell us what brand. :lol:

(Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I love Doug's reports. In fact I want to know which place in A-town has the wing special on Mon. nights)

Great first report Melissa!

It's really nice to have an objective review of the conditions.

For this part, "Upper mountain was SLUSH. Bare patches and puddles", most mountains would have reported, "Upper mountain is WET PACKED POWDER. A few thin spots with some non-frozen snow." :D

And for this part, "Snow on the Northface was soft but not slush and base looked fine."... Snow on the Northface is PACKED POWDER with a ONE GAZILLION INCH BASE."

All-in-all, a great first report from Camelot (err, I mean Sno) Mountain!

Not quite up to GSS's standards for reports from Blue; but only because you didn't tell us what you had to eat on the way home. But all-in-all a great report! Please keep posting reports! We need an objective review. Otherwise we could just go to the ski area Conditions Report.

P.S. To beat out GSS as best PASkiandRide reporter, all you need to do is, if you buy shampoo on the way home; tell us what brand. :lol:

(Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I love Doug's reports. In fact I want to know which place in A-town has the wing special on Mon. nights)

Yeah, sorry my report wasn't that exciting. I live really close to the mountain so sometimes I just run over for a bit. I'll try to include such important details as what I got at Dunkin Donuts and ate in the car on the way over, etc.

Also, Sno Mountain reports their conditions today as follows:

Surface Packed Powder

Base 48" - 60"

Seriously?

:banghead:banghead:banghead

They must be in some crazy micro-climate to have packed powder after a 60 degree day..amazing

From the Sno conditions page:

Current

Trails Open 12

Lifts Open 4

Surface Spring Like

Base 12" - 60"

Snowmaking in Progress No

New Snow Fall 0"

From the Blue Mtn conditions page:

Snow Report for Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Snowfall:

Last 24 Hours: in. / -- cm.

Last 48 Hours: in. / -- cm.

Last 7 Days: in. / -- cm.

Total Accumulation:

Base: 30 in. / 76.2 cm.

Season Total: in. / -- cm.

Doug, this is as of one minute ago. Is it still Thursday at Blue? :confused

Jeez, one crack about your trash problem...well eight or nine...

Edited by ski

Omg, there was like, 20 little ski team kids running around in the park the other day, stoped me from doing a few boxes... lol i couldent stop laughing at what they were saying, they were all talking at the same time about how cool the park was, they sounded like off-tune oumpa-lumpa's... lmao