TR JF 1-8-07 with photos

Just got back from a really nice day at the home mt. I got there around 11:45 and the sun was shining bright. It was very warm and my gloves were off after one run. I headed straight for Thunderbolt and found side to side coverage with no bear and very little brown spots. The snow itself was your typical loose granular, spring like but just right (definitely not "mad applesauce" :D ) It stayed that way pretty much the whole day. After Thunderbolt it was straight to the East Mt. lift. They raised the Pirate ship flag higher and it was flying in the wind. I headed straight for Floyd's which was awesome...nice bumps were forming on skiers left and there was a bail out lane to ther skiers right side. It was a perfect day for bumps as the snow was easily carvable. Did that a number of times as well as River Shot. All in all great coverage everywhere (except the trees which are pretty much shot) and the snow was great. Hopefully it gets cold soon. I'll be back tomm...enjoy the pics.

FloydsHeadwall.jpg

Floyd's Headwall

Floyds.jpg

Floyd's from the bottom (pic doesn't give you the actual pitch)

TheElevator.jpg

The Elevator with no snow :( Looks much smaller in this pic (notice the two cliffs)

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

Everything was ice, first thing in the morning :banghead , but started to losten up as the day went along. They didn't groom the trails, except for the park. I'm assuming that was to conserve snow. There was also a huge temp inversion of about 10 degrees, about midway down.

This looks so good and it is good to be back here for holiday!! In India one can use a snowboard at Gulmarg - which is in Kashmir and Jammu. there is now a new cable car that takes you to 3,747 meters (about 13,000 of your feet) you can ski there at Kongdoori mountain and Afarwat Peak. i like your pictures of floyds fooly but it looks not so steep. i will be there for the WMMR and if it rains too much, than Saturday

are those trees on the left of the 2nd pic supposed to be a glade?

whatever happened to the mad tree glade or whatever glade was on the East Mountain?

EDIT: here we go: 1163263071_bigmap.jpg

I think I remember when Elevator was on there...was a while back, and I didn't go to JF for years. Was Risk It a glade? why don't they maintain these trails anymore?

Edited by stever2003

are those trees on the left of the 2nd pic supposed to be a glade?

whatever happened to the mad tree glade or whatever glade was on the East Mountain?

I think I remember when Elevator was on there...was a while back, and I didn't go to JF for years. Was Risk It a glade? why don't they maintain these trails anymore?

Mad tree glade and risk it are gladed "trails." They rely on natural snow, or snow that blows over into them. They are still there, they just aren't on the map anymore. Actually, the entire mountain is skiable. They have an open terrain policy. If there is snow on it, you can hit it.

Edited by bigdaddyk

It looks like the afternoon will be the time to go on Wednesday, after things loosen up again. Nothing is listed on the conditions page as being groomed again, except for the park.

I'll probably be there around 11:30ish. Look me up if you're there or send me a PM if you want to meet up.