First time Snowboarding and no lessons

egan1979

I went snowboarding for the first time ever on Saturday. I went up to Bear Creek because it is close to me, and the perfect place to learn. During the day the conditions were good, but the first three times I went down I could not stop falling. Once the sun went down it started turing to ice, and man did it hurt when I fell. I am sure people were laughing at me, lol. Towards the end of the day, a girl who said she was a snowboard instructor there, gave me some tips, which was awesome of her. It really helped me out a lot, and the next few times down I started doing a lot better. So thank you, who ever you were...that was really nice of you. So all in all I had an awesome time, and I loved the mountain there and being so close I am probably going to go again on Saturday. I look forward to it.

Glad you had a good time. It is a blast, and it does not have to be that hard. That female snowboard instructor could have given you a lot more help in the LTR program. I don't know how much you paid for your day at BC, but you can do the LTR program for $50 on a Saturday. That includes a lift ticket, rentals, and the Learn to Ride lesson which lasts as long as you need it (you could technically be in the program all day if you were not picking it up). You may want to consider this option next time up.

That is where I went for my first time as well. I can't believe how much pain I was in the following few days. I had skied for over 10 years, and that whole first day of snowboarding I couldn't believe what I was putting myself through. I decided to stick with it and started going to Spring Mountain, which is even closer if you live in the Philly area, after work on Friday nights. Its a great little place to learn. If it wasn't for Spring, I think that I would have given up!

Stick with it and welcome to PASR!

the first few times i went out, i had no better friends in the world than advil and hot baths afterwards.

stick with it and you will get it. there's like this wall in learning where you know what you need to do and have a lot of trouble just making it happen, and then one time it just all seems to click together, from then on it's just awesome.

i got ragged on for doing it, but after my first day out i started wearing kneepads under my pants until my skills really improved... cuts down on the bruising and swelling. if you fall a lot doing toe turns it might be worth it until you get the hang of it.

On my first day on a snowboard, my hands were so sore I could barely hold the steering wheel on the way home.

You'll be surprised how much easier it is the second day compared to the first. Toward the end, you were probably falling largely due to fatigue. And like Ket19 said, you all of a sudden will get this moment of brilliance where you "get it".

It might seem a little unorthodox but this is how I learned. (with no lessons)

The first time I ever went onto the hill, I just got on the board, pointed it down the bunny slope and went at it. On a small bunny like Sno's, I was able to just slide straight down until I ran out of steam and eventually came to a stop. By doing this a few times I really got a feel for the board and when it came time to start turning it came much much easier for me. I'll never forget that night either because I didn't fall once, which most likely kept me coming back for more. Granted I didn't try to do a whole lot on the board that first night, but it gave me confidence and a love to be on the hill. This will keep you coming back no matter how hard you ever fall.

I think a problem that a lot of people have the first time they get on a snowboard is that mentally they are standing on a board and sliding down a hill. Get it in your head that the board is now an extension of your body. You don't think about standing on top of the soles of your shoes when you walk, so why do it with a board thats strapped to you 4 times? Also I try to avoid being flat based as much as possible. When the board is flat on the ground you have the least amount of control over it. I prefer to stay on one edge or the other which will allow you to take bumps or other unexpected obstacles better rather than being tossed. When you can get into the position where you think about where you want the board to be and the next thing you know you're there, then you're in for a real treat.

Thank all of you guys for the suggestions, they were all great. I might a lesson this time, but I also might just do it on my own again. I am trying to get my friend to go this time but he said he might not be able to so I guess we will see. I am hoping the second time is a lot better. I am not feeling all the sore anymore, which is crazy...the way I was falling I thought for sure I would have called out of work today, lol. I really did have a lot of fun, I think it is more fun then skiing...although I am a lot better at skiing. Well I guess I will see this weekend, I might go during the day when the conditions are better. The ice was really not making my falls any softer, lol.

i tried snownowarding once. lets say it didnt work out too well. i would fall like 6 times a run and couldnt sit for like a week after that.

Yeah my ass was hurting too, but that went away and I feeling much better not. I can't wait to ride this weekend. I think I am going to head up on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

Oh cool, there's a place closer to Philly than Bear Creek? I had no idea. I've only been to Bear Creek. I went last March for the LTR program, and once in December when the snow was definitely more granular ice an anything else. I got into snowboarding at the end of last season, so I haven't gone much, but I wanted to get at least one more time in before the season ends. I'm thinking of going to BC next Saturday, but now I'm interested in this Spring Mount place. What's it like? Good place to check out for a noob?

Edited by josef